Posts by raison

Here's an article that explains to some extent:

https://www.kpopbehind.com/201…ol-stars-microphones.html

I believe it to some extent as I believe the fancy headset is something like an AKG Crown which runs ~$450. I've played with condenser mics before and they are really nice for ignoring a lot of ambient noise--you have to play into it directly.

A great mic is a double edged sword. It'll expose your weaknesses and strengths.

I wonder if they only keep them on for an idol's lines to avoid any heavy breathing from choreo.

When I refer to pitch correction, I'm referring to autotune or similar technologies that you can apply even to a live performance. It can be subtle enough that even experts can't tell (when there's no dancing) but it has been pretty obvious in YWY. I suspect Chuang uses it to a lesser extent.

Yes, adjusting intonation is a basic skill for most musical performance except piano.

I remember looking at Chuang and YWY and thinking that the average was more like early 20's. Lots of 25 yr olds too. In any case, I'm using age as a proxy for training time which may or may not be a good assumption. But if they're going to allow current (but unpopular) k-pop idols to participate, it sounds like they'll want a range of experience and age.

I actually don't mind the scary mentors. Lisa going off on girls in YWY2 was good TV and also more realistic. Having performance driven teachers is pretty normal in performing arts but it also needs to be balanced with some supportive ones. Good cop, bad cop.

It'd be nice to have a different rapper coach other than Cheetah. Why would a male mentor be better in this case? It does make sense to have the street cred from winning a show like SMTM but maybe combined with some idol experience. Bobby or Mino?

Wendy as a mentor would be really interesting.

I like the guest mentor idea (maybe even group), I remember they started doing that in Produce X 101. One for each round would be good, sort of like there's a guest judge on every episode of Top Chef.

Makes sense. They need to do something to manage the previous rigging perception.

Age-wise, everyone is 16 and older. I wonder if there will be "soft" limit on the top end (handled through audition)? It seems weird to pit 16 yr olds against 25 yr olds....but the age distribution is more important.

It'd be awesome if there are some SEA, Americas, and EMEA trainees. I hope they have a chance against established idol voting blocks but popularity is important too. I also expect the Japanese trainees to be waaaaay more prepared this time around.

Any particular trainers and judges you want to see?

Commence the Hunger Games.

It'll be interesting to see how the show governs the voting from different countries.

I'm unsure if a Chinese company would send a senior member if they are important for other activities. I'd guess that Mnet would lock down the contracts in case they create the next Izone. Any particular age limits?

Any idea when it would air? This year seems like good timing to since Chuang and YWY fielded guys this year. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't switch off.

It'd be fun to see how people from different countries vote from CJK as long as they can weight them accordingly. I-Land was probably helpful in designing a global voting system.

That's his normal speaking voice (in Mandarin) lol. You can see it when he hosts Produce China.

this video just show me that WayV are really good dancer

none of them is doing the choregraphy as well than wayv

It's to be expected.

WayV has been practicing together a lot longer and trained by SM. Even Lisa can't compare because she won't have the same power. I think her outfit isn't helping though, those boots can't help.

When I started listening, I thought that they were imitating an NCT song and then realized it made sense since it's a WayV song.

Also, both NCT and WayV have some unique grooves that are hard to capture in a couple weeks of practice.

I think if we do get to see a vietnamese in Cpop or Kpop, it's gonna be based mostly on pure luck and timing. Hanbin from I-Land is the closest to become the first vietnamese Kpop idol and I hope it happens. If not, I'm not gonna be so suprise either. Vietnam is still a developing country, and it will take some time before the music market is as developed as other countries.

I don't know. I think it might develop really quickly.

Hanbin was the leader of a dance crew in Vietnam and when I look at kpop dance covers in YouTube, there are so many Vietnamese crews posting videos these days. Some of them are pretty good too.

I can understand that it's hard to get vocal training though...that takes longer to develop. I think there will be some pretty good dancers coming from Vietnam in the next several years. I see the same in Russia too...except they have amazing dance training there...probably really expensive though.

By the way, Shuhua could go far with votes

but if mentors would have something to say then I don't think she would make it to the strict finale, maybe will even be eliminated in 2nd round... the competition in Chuang is just too good.

How do Taiwanese idols navigate the thin line between making it in China and being themselves?

I've heard Lai Guanlin is supporting the mainland but he also has a career to grow. If any member of G-Idle were to do it, wouldn't it be Yuqi?

I'd also say that mainland Chinese tastes are a bit different than other regions...as evidenced by the popularity of Zhang Yifan. People everywhere like a good visual, but I doubt she would have done as well anywhere else.

That said, some great talent on Chuang and YWY this year...is it because the Chinese entertainment market is still emerging? I was surprised that YWY3 could have a choreographer from 1MILLION and then Chuang has world-class Japanese dance talent. I remember Santa from Taemin's Famous choreo and apparently Rikimaru was the choreographer.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That’s why I said Korean citizen and not Western person etc. People in my country are also heavier than Japan and Korea but idols are skinnier than the skinniest people I have seen on the street in Seoul or Tokyo. I talked about it with several people and I am not talking about those people who are naturally skinny or are on the skinnier side.

Sure, but entertainers are generally skinnier than people you see on the streets. Not all of them, but at least idols won't be skinny fat.

I don't know how long you've spent in Korea or Japan either, so no idea how good an instinct you have for the general skinniness of those populations.

The self-balancing factor for idols here is that they have to dance quite a lot. So they need to maintain a reasonable amount of muscle to perform. I might worry more if they were standstill singers (which also requires some physical exertion).

One thing I might look for would be weight fluctuations. Other idols have had this happen, indicating that their natural weight is higher or they're still developing sustainable eating habits. Has this happened w/ Wonyoung?

But she is literally so perfect. I saw a post on pann where someone said that she was bullied at work (normal office work) because she weighed something with 50kg while being 170cm and her boss called her fat and literally asked her to loose weight. Some kpop fans really underestimate the beauty standards of Korea. Idols are skinnier than the normal Korean citizen and they are already skinny. I have witnessed it first hand and I have a lot of other people who live there and told me that before I was in Korea. We were a group of foreigner at a music show and we were literally shocked to say the least.

The healthy standard for weight might depend on where you're from. The normal weight for Koreans is lighter than most given diet and more recent increases in height. The same thing is seen in China.

As an American, I can fully acknowledge that we're too heavy. Regardless of social norms for healthy body image, the pandemic wasn't kind to Americans who tend to have more of the conditions that exacerbate symptomatic Covid.

I haven't watched the whole show (Queendom), so i wouldn't dare to say anything about that.

But i do agree that the experts are important. I just hope they arguement their desicions and state their reasons and what they think makes the good performance etc. Because otherwise it will be a mess with fans (it will be either way probably, though...).

Did you watch I-Land? While the show itself was ok, they had the experts and fans switch off episodes where they cut trainees. I thought it was executed reasonably well.

With Kingdom though, it makes sense to weight the voting since there aren't that many teams.

It's better than leaving it all up to popular vote...the casual fan should be empowered (and guided) rather than the various fandoms.

Oh well, that sounds like it's going to be a mess... I mean the experts part... I would like to hear what critics have to say about performances, since it feels

like it could be interesting, but the fanwars and bashing that will cause...

I think the experts are important for explicitly stating reasons why one group is better than another.

It would already be a mess with fans not being all that objective. So experts should help smooth things out.

I don't think Chinese k-pop stars in China have much of a choice for survival. They have to heed the party line or else they're persona non grata.

It's hard to know the full truth since we're civilians. I see people over in the Asian Entertainment section complaining about western propaganda too.

I live in the US, but I can fully acknowledge a lot of wrong doing on both sides. Hopefully, we'll learn the truth someday.

B was a lot better, but they also have a choreographer from 1MILLION as one of the members.

I've never really been all that convinced by the YWY2 performances. I can tell they're good dancers but when they do Exo, there's too much power missing. Also, the whole season was autotuned like crazy with the studio version overlaying the actual performance. I suspected it the whole season, and it was confirmed in the first performance of The9.

They're doing the same again most of the time this season even if they call it "Live Vocals".

From what I can tell, Lisa is super supportive this season instead of being strict. Maybe it's because the guys get along pretty well.

It's interesting that there are 2 friends from Produce X 101 in both competition shows. Tony in YWY3 and Wei in Chuang 2021. They've both improved a lot.

I think it'd be more interesting if tall people are coming from areas that were previously known for being shorter (i.e. not the North).

Note: I took a look at the study.

https://www.thelancet.com/jour…6/fulltext#seccestitle130

The main take away I got from it was the developing societies got the biggest gains in height...probably due to diet.

So while the Dutch may be the tallest, they accrued most of those gains a long time ago. I suppose we'll see where heights end up over time.