Posts by raison

An interesting analysis on the Aespa version versus the original:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The most interesting sections were added in the Aespa version but it definitely doesn't follow common song structure. This probably confuses a lot of people.

It's been several years since Produce48, standards have risen. AKB48 idols were genuinely bad at dance at the time and you can see it in the performances because the camera shots are just straight. One MV doesn't establish anything.

Here, I think you're getting confused by camera angles and cuts. They're not in sync..which is not necessarily a bad thing. They just look more wild which might be fitting with the song? In fact, the slo-mo clips you post don't make them look good. There is a time and place for being mildly out-of-sync but it doesn't look intentional here.

Someone else in the old forum posted 2020 clips of former Produce48 AKB48 contestants. To my eyes, they looked like they regressed badly.

That said, people have different things they care about in dance. Let's just say we have different standards.

I doubt that they go en masse to Korea right away.

All these shows are new enough that you can just create a new show with new rules. Aren't there already several other shows? Is it a show ban or a distributor ban (i.e. Tencent, Iqiyi)?

It's probably important enough to China to allow the creation of new shows to develop their idol industry. Instead of Idol Producer, a new show with new rules:

Idol Proctology: A show that looks more at what's inside each idol by subjecting them to a painful process of testing and growth. ;-)

I don't stream (but I don't stan either).

Aren't the view counts roughly similar? Do you have any evidence that there is some Ikon-hate going on? Ikon is pretty likeable on the show, they have their own style.

That said, the SKZ rendition was a lot more interesting (musically) for me personally.

I think there will be some balance with younger, raw but talented trainees too. I hope there are experts judging this in part to guide the audience. But the audience also will also their idiosyncracies in voting.

Any idea how international voting will be?

Also, who are the good vocals in the above list? I expect the vocals won't be as highly auto-tuned or use studio versions like they are in some of the Chinese shows.

I didn't get into k-pop until 2020 and I was one of the early viewers of Gangnam Style when it was still below 10M views on YT.

It was entertaining and had a lot of replay value, and I ended up watching a couple episodes of Dream High with Suzy (she glowed up like crazy). But I wasn't interested enough to keep exploring more at the time.

I'm still a casual k-pop observer.

Flop. I liked some of Winter's vocals, but overall the song was all over the place in a bad way. Didn't like the rap parts, they should've highlighted the vocals more because that's their strong suit.

The girls are beautiful, but I didn't feel an ounce of charisma. The whole m/v felt lifeless and flat.

No development in any of the three songs either. The second song could arguably have been a bridge section for the first but then the "beat drop" made it seems like 3. I expected the 2nd and 3rd repetitions of the main theme to have a lot more development like a counterpoint rap. Even if you're remaking it into your own song, you can do something catchy like find something to rhyme with "next level".

The charisma...for the type of song it was I would have expected a lot more abandonment or attitude. The madman stage persona that Taeyong has would work well on this song.

If she can fit in well.

Her dancing got a lot better from her Produce days. Vocally still weak, but that takes time.

Irene in Red Velvet debuted at a later age than she is now. She doesn't have to be uber-talented but I wonder if she is tired of Izone's concept. I know some Onces lament that Twice is going more mature, but artists have to grow or die that first death.

I hope Nako and Hitomi find good situations too. Maybe back in k-pop. All those girls got leaner in their Izone days, but Hitomi leaned out quite a bit. She lost her chubby chipmunk cheeks from Produce 48.

nostalgia is a powerful motivator (is motivator the right word???)

Nostalgia is a powerful feeling or emotion.

I just heard this the other day and it brought me back:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

10 years ago, I'm not sure how she would have done nor can I say k-pop would have been ready.

If she were 10 years younger in these times, I think she would do well assuming she trains in Korea. But then she'd probably still be better off jumping back to China.

I haven't seen her actual skills but it's pretty safe to say, the bar has risen quite a lot from a decade ago.

Why this hypothetical?

While I'm interested in the idea of Vietnamese idols, I'm spoiled by the expectations on K-pop idols.

Of the ones posted here, I feel like I've seen a lot of Vietnamese girls that are way more attractive irl in both the US and Vietnam. That said, when I visited Vietnam, I got the feeling of Korea in the 90's. My guess is that within a decade, the training and talent pool for entertainment there will greatly improve. The explosion of cover groups I see on YouTube is promising.

I don't know if it's just me, but I see so many Viet cover groups on YT. I barely see any Indonesian ones even though they are big consumers according to YT stats. Is this a cultural thing or have I not trained YT to show me Indo groups?

It's sad but this perhaps illustrates how China (like Korea) is still a conservative society.

Caring about family background is important in many societies.

Meanwhile, in many more liberal societies (i.e. America) we have famous musicians and actors that did all sorts of things to survive. Or just straight up did bad things when they were successful.

Ideas like this are pretty cheap.

The execution is what matters.

Another example of this would be how the original Idol Producer copied Produce 101. The idea of Produce 101 has translated pretty well, but its particularly important that the first carbon copied it. Most of the competition formats are still executed very similarly even now: a theme song, song battles on popular songs, position battles, and then some "original" music for the later rounds.

Also, I don't think having these mics is necessarily an indicator that they're being used in what you hear in the YT recording.

I can hear natural intonation variance in the Twice and Enhypen videos, consistent with live shows. It's not just the breaths you can hear, but also just notes going very slightly flat or sharp mostly from all the moving around.

The StayC video sounds closer to studio but I also hear some breaths so maybe it's pre-recorded audio. Everglow also doesn't sound live to me despite all of them having fancy mics. But since none of us can observe the actual recording, it's also possible they took the live recording and processed it to correct pitch problems. The wonders of technology.