Groups who hit it big oitside of korea are not a flop lol (feat. 17, ikon, txt,...)

• like seventeen, txt and treasure

Recently e.g. ikon who is successfull on japanese charts but flopping on koreans

I feel like when you prove you have a fanbase and audience outside of korea is a huge success idk why people indicate that you're a flop?? Like how tf is that flopping when you have people who support and fangirling over you no matter which country? Is korea the only country where the charts matter? Or are you just hating?

Guys if anyone ever go after your faves and say they flop, just say "the're big in the 2nd hugest music industry in the world" purrr

• Wizard-of-ozz

Changed the title of the thread from “Groups who hit it big oitside of korea are not a flop lol” to “Groups who hit it big oitside of korea are not a flop lol (feat. 17, ikon, txt,...)”.
  • Well think about local acts.

Imagine if a local act flopped here, couldnt chart in Hot 100 or BB 200. But then they become super big in Brazil or Germany or Taiwan or India...would you consider the act to be a hitmaker? Would their international achievements supersede their lack of domestic success?

That's what it's like for Kpop groups that make no impact in Korea but succeed elsewhere like in Indonesia, Japan, China or the US.

• Kpop labels care less and less about Kcharts.

Most money is made outside Korea now.

I bet most Kpop fans don't even know Melon has only 5 million users.

Why are we supposed to care what those specific 5 million Koreans are listening to?

Melon has less than 35% of the marketshare in a country that has only a slightly larger population than the state of California.

If you have a dedicated fanbase that buys albums, merch and concert tickets then you're successful.

The measure of success now is completely different than from even 10 years ago...or even 5.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited 2 times, last by Blue2012 ().

Imagine if a local act flopped here, couldnt chart in Hot 100 or BB 200. But then they become super big in Brazil or Germany or Taiwan or India...would you consider the act to be a hitmaker? Would their international achievements supersede their lack of domestic success?

That's what it's like for Kpop groups that make no impact in Korea but succeed elsewhere like in Indonesia, Japan, China or the US.

I would consider it bad if they flopped everywhere not only on local charts

• I feel like it became a bonus when you chart locally IF you are a boy group.

See how girlgroups don't anyone come close unless you are bigbang or bts

But for boy groups as you rightfully said sales and international fanbase is a priority these days. That's why ikon e.g. is doing a japan tour and not a korean tour soon

Those people in Brazil or Germany or Taiwan or India help the artist make money which in turn allows them to continue performing... most people are grateful for support regardless of what country it comes from. Fans are fans. It's just pressed weirdos who make a big deal about it.

• Those people in Brazil or Germany or Taiwan or India help the artist make money which in turn allows them to continue performing... most people are grateful for support regardless of what country it comes from. Fans are fans. It's just pressed weirdos who make a big deal about it.

Couldn't have said it better

As long as they have support and money i think they couldn't give less where the money is coming from

• As you said some popularity but their main market is japan,it's where they top the charts and where the sales come from

Seventeen is not on the same success level in korea as they have in japan. Many people take that as a argument thats ehy i included 17

I've always heard that seventeen was a top 3 boygroup in South Korea though? Boygroups in general, especially recently, don't have the best domestic charting. Groups like Ateez, everglow, and stray kids are the kinds of groups that get slack for being unpopular in Korea. It makes no sense though because they are still extremely successful and are making money regardless. The only thing that may be a downside is longevity after their group disbands because most groups aren't popular enough internationally where members will be able to get sponsorships for international brands or get t.v. shows gigs in the countries where they are popular imo.

• I feel like it became a bonus when you chart locally IF you are a boy group.

See how girlgroups don't anyone come close unless you are bigbang or bts

But for boy groups as you rightfully said sales and international fanbase is a priority these days. That's why ikon e.g. is doing a japan tour and not a korean tour soon

Agreed.

The thought was that popularity on Kcharts can land lucrative endorsement deals in Korea due GP recognition.

But that's not even true anymore. Korean companies are targeting groups with dedicated fanbases that'll buy products just because it has their pictures on it...and will sell out just because fans want to collect them.

TREASURE landed an endorsement deal with the largest retailer in Korea, Emart. And they sell out.

The GP is not going to buy Ramen, coffee and sandwiches just because IU' s face is on it.

A group with a dedicated fanbase will though.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• I've always heard that seventeen was a top 3 boygroup in South Korea though? Boygroups in general, especially recently, don't have the best domestic charting. Groups like Ateez, everglow, and stray kids are the kinds of groups that get slack for being unpopular in Korea. It makes no sense though because they are still extremely successful and are making money regardless. The only thing that may be a downside is longevity after their group disbands because most groups aren't popular enough internationally where members will be able to get sponsorships for international brands or get t.v. shows gigs in the countries where they are popular imo.

Idk i know a lot of people who say 17 is only popular in japan

• The probelm with targeting dedicated fandoms is, given the silo-ed nature other fans will avoid the product.

Whereas an image like IU, while not having dedicated fandoms, tends to be non-objectionable to other fandoms in general.

Hence it is not a case of either/or, but depending on the product, strategy the endorsers will change.

It is strange your opinion on IU is so different from what marketers in S.Korea think, they have been signing her up year after year, for Banana Milk, for Pizza, for Water and most important of all - the market leader of the most popular alcoholic drink in the world - Chamiseul Soju.

• In sports a team can win many "away" games, even championship.

But if they don't succeed in their home ground, there will always be something lacking in the achievements.

But otherwise money is money, whatever be the source.

A major reason for home territory failure, is a crowded market.

Whereas in foreign markets, the competition as a cultural import is lesser and as an imported item, there's an 'exotic' factor at play.

However the foreign market can be far more fickle than the local

• As you said some popularity but their main market is japan,it's where they top the charts and where the sales come from

Seventeen is not on the same success level in korea as they have in japan. Many people take that as a argument thats ehy i included 17

They have more Korean success than Japanese. Their digitals alone should tell you that Japan is not their main market.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• All companies care about is selling out a product. They don't care if it offends or turns off other fanbases. The WON/Dollar spends the same from a Seventeen fan as it does a TREASURE fan.

There have been several Korean companies that have partnered with TREASURE and sold out. And several outside Korea too.

If market research (and they do market research on these things) says that an artist endorsing a product drives X number of sales, then they'll do it.

As far as IU, some companies probably choose her because she's recognizable. But no one is going to buy a product BECAUSE of her. A company's bottom line due to her endorsing something is probably negligible.

YG Family

1080x360

• Apparently you are aware of some magical statistics unknown to companies and economic commentators.

At the least do some web search, before spouting such ridiculous "facts".

And confusing fan spending on collectibles with regular consumables.

"Negligible", more describes your knowledge in sales marketing, than IU's impact.

But anyway.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!