The kpop group whose concept is mental illness (Thoughts?)

• Introducing EPEX everyone

Their album titles consist of:

Bipolar Pt.1 Prelude of Anxiety

Bipolar Pt.2 Prelude of Love

Prelude of Anxiety Chapter 1.

I know this was a controversy when they first debuted, but they're still doing it, so I'm curious what people think today.

What do you guys think? Are they in the wrong or are people just ''too sensitive''? :whatr:

c77302cb70957d7b292cb53541314303f81ee7c4.gifv
    3518d42cf174e2b37f2be8139477cd2826ddb416.gifv 2e1d400e45df76d045a75050139765b4670a5c1e.gifv 08cd333664b5343b10adc1bed40ddb2126a8f970.gifv 7c3e4a35a4ee9b6f6976e16be95dbd69af1b96fa.gifv

Edited 2 times, last by ghostings ().

• i'm not bothered by it, at first i watched to see if they glorified mental health but they don't. They are just "teens/young adults" struggling through life and their songs are reflecting that. The title could be controversial but due to the fact they aren't glorifying or making fun of mental health, i'm not bothered by it at all. I suffer from a slew of mental issues as well, and I really don't find it offensive. It's the same company as CIX and isn't really known as a huge controversial company. There were some issues with a few lyrics and the company clarified everything but also made changes.

• Is it based on their own stories?

• Well, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. The lyrics for the songs in the first album talk about stuff like social media, depression, reality, oppression, inner conflict, etc. So I can see there is an attempt to give meaning here, and it's a bit more than aesthetic.

But also, I do think some of it is very... in your face and not subtle enough. Just the titles of these albums alone get people up and arms, and it comes across as a bit shockvalue and perhaps careless.

I don't particularly trust c9 anymore to handle these serious topics with care in regards to EPEX... especially not after they mistakenly had the words "crystal night" (which colloquially refers to an event in history where Nazis attacked Jewish people and property) in a lyric in their latest song "Anthem of Teen Spirit"

They since apologized. Apparently it was supposed to not have historical reference. It's about the robotized Korean education system. Crystal refers to windows and how you'll see the bright lights of the windows with students studying vigorously in them.

C9 changed the lyrics. Which is good and the right move, but like... I still have a very sour taste in my mouth after all that. I don't think they are taking these have subject manners seriously enough, and that deeply saddens me. The EPEX members have great potential, and some of them are minors too, so like... idk they obviously don't have control over all this, and I feel bad for them.

So, what I would like for C9 to do, is to take a step further back and reevaluate all of what they are doing because these are two controversies since EPEX debuted last year. This is a group that barely makes any noise like most nugu 4th gen boy groups asides from these controversies. Maybe you can have a cynical view of "all press is good press", and think that controversies like these are great since it gets this otherwise overlooked group attention. Perhaps some people at c9 are thinking like this, but idk it's not right to me either way.

It seems they aren't fucking up CIX at least. Their latest Japanese release "Pinky Swear" is very vibrant and pleasant.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Is it based on their own stories?

yes. they have said since debut it's about struggles, they face as teens/young adults, they don't glorify any mental health.

• ghostings you made me paragraph dump and I am livid :ragec:

not really this is shit I needed to get off my chest :sob-bunny:

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Then there’s nothing wrong. Although I would have preferred the album titles to be a bit more subtle.

Yeah, the title is the most controversial of everything, but the music really isn't. If they were glorifying mental health i'd certainly have a problem. I don't stan them, but I have seen the articles about everything and people canceling them before even hearing their debut song. Their recent song had some lyrics and people assumed they were singing about nazi's and germany which they weren't and c9 clarified everything but also changed the lyrics up so people wouldn't feel offended anymore. So i really don't think c9 is out there singing happy songs about mental health issues. But I guess as teenagers and having anxieties and struggles they've ran with this weird name since. :pepe-shrug:

• Yeah, the title is the most controversial of everything, but the music really isn't. If they were glorifying mental health i'd certainly have a problem. I don't stan them, but I have seen the articles about everything and people canceling them before even hearing their debut song. Their recent song had some lyrics and people assumed they were singing about nazi's and germany which they weren't and c9 clarified everything but also changed the lyrics up so people wouldn't feel offended anymore. So i really don't think c9 is out there singing happy songs about mental health issues. But I guess as teenagers and having anxieties and struggles they've ran with this weird name since. :pepe-shrug:

Seen the statement but as somebody who had to listen my grandma crying about the past, yes it’s something what wasn’t baseless to be angry over. I don’t know about this mental health issue since I don’t stan them either but after that I’m sure not gonna listen them either. The company should have researched before releasing this song.

• it's a little weird as a concept tbh but if it's just bringing awareness to certain topics and by talking about struggles they're trying to destigmatize mental health issues i guess it's not too bad

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I find it really gross and exploit-y. I'm sorry I cannot take the album name seriously. It's freaking rude. IDC. Why? just why? why would you even want to make your concept about mental illnesses and then make cheerful loud music at the same time? It's so icky. Boy groups are so far gone.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Seen the statement but as somebody who had to listen my grandma crying about the past, yes it’s something what wasn’t baseless to be angry over. I don’t know about this mental health issue since I don’t stan them either but after that I’m sure not gonna listen them either. The company should have researched before releasing this song.

the lyrics were based off a book and they clarified that, but due to the confusion and such they already revised the lyrics.

• How do I say what I really think about this. So, I have an anxiety disorder. When their first album was released I felt inclined to check them out just because of the title. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. If you read their lyrics then you'll understand why the album is titled the way it is. I'm not even a fan of theirs, I personally just don't think it's that serious.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!