Blackpink was never meant to be a serious music group.

• You're wrong. The lack of content wasn't a deliberate strategy by YG. At least, not initially.

They were supposed to have 8 MVs in their first year, from a total of 4 singles, representing the four sides of a square.

That was the strategy.

So what do you think went wrong?

• So what do you think went wrong?

I don't know. I think the success of Boombaya/Whistle led to them being much more cautious. Mostly I think that Teddy is fundamentally unreliable to be depended on for consistent output, and for whatever reason, he seems to own Blackpink even though they're not on his label (he was there judging during the auditions iirc).

• BP is the greatest enigma in Kpop. A group that doesnt move like a Kpop group in any way. Zero fanservice, 21 songs in six years, a group that looks and feels like international guest stars when they appear in Korean music shows.

In 2018 and 2019 they were not international superstars.

• I disagree with they aren’t making serious music.

Also I don’t think YG expected to be huge huge as individual idols, YG will keep giving cfs etc as long their individual brand is still intact because it costs less money and less effort and that’s not a bad idea in the long run. To be fair.

Kpop is really hard, fans move from another group quickly, the fact each member in BP have a big fanbase mean they will have the best longevity in the future.

But I still don’t get why YG can’t capitalize their group success to at least give them one comeback per year. They’re making banks on hiatus imagine if they were active.

It’s working for BP but it will never work for an another group.

Can you imagine if BIG HIT would’ve put BTS constantly on hiatus, the amount of potential they would’ve lost with this strategy.

• It's sad that BP (and the fans) are never taken seriously in the kpop community and are treated like a bunch of "silly" girls who don't care at all about the things they studied for years in order to debut. They just don't work like your typical kpop group. Sure their discography is pretty sad in terms of number of songs (and the girls themselves expressed the desire to release more music...) but their music career is still really successful and there's nothing wrong in trying to prepare a solo career considering that girl groups won't a super long "shelf life" anyways...all of them are in their mid 20s now (wich is young but not really young for kpop standards, unfortunately) so it's a smart choice. And if BP members are happy in YG, there's nothing wrong also.

I don't think it's wrong. In fact they show that a kpop group need not have a 5 year long shelf life. If I myself were to be an idol I'd prefer to join a group like theirs. The only difference would be that I'd release full album once in 5 years, heavily promote them and tour and then disappear for 5 more years. I think Blackpink is meant to be like that only but they recognize that releasing one or two singles once in a while is necessary in this age where the music industry is super intense and fast.

• I don't know. I think the success of Boombaya/Whistle led to them being much more cautious. Mostly I think that Teddy is fundamentally unreliable to be depended on for consistent output, and for whatever reason, he seems to own Blackpink even though they're not on his label (he was there judging during the auditions iirc).

This is the first time I am hearing about this. Interesting take.

• Playing with Fire didn't initially perform as well as Whistle and knowing YHS it made him question everything and probably led to the following comebacks being canceled. Back then a YG artist not reaching #1 on Melon and Gaon was a huge failure for YHS. Dude was obsessed with reaching #1 on the charts.

I think YG smell overburn with Blackpink which led to no more dual singles.

The same strategy was used for iKon debut and see where it got them. First two was okay, next two are doing worse and the next 4 are flops. So YG was smart to stop releasing so much. Blackpink weren't like big bang back then where they can drop 2 songs each month and top the charts everytime (bigbang with MADE).

And to be honest, spacing releases were beneficial to blackpink too as the songs were able to live out to full potentials like PWF and AIIYL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!