How do you feel about streaming culture in kpop?

• I don't participate and I don't think I ever have

I like to listen to songs according to my mood and I would feel weird if I was replaying songs while having them on mute

If fans want to do it, they are free to do it though, but I also think they should just admit it when they do it lmao...we all know you didn't listen to a song for 80 000 times because you like it :wellr: I don't think streaming is shameful but lying about it kinda is

• I don’t mind, but I don’t spend my time worrying about the streams. I do listen music according to my mood but when I wanna listen txt I go to Stationhead and use the streaming episode they done. The one I like has other group songs in between txt songs so it doesn’t get repetitive at all.

• I don't participate and I don't think I ever have

I like to listen to songs according to my mood and I would feel weird if I was replaying songs while having them on mute

If fans want to do it, they are free to do it though, but I also think they should just admit it when they do it lmao...we all know you didn't listen to a song for 80 000 times because you like it :wellr: I don't think streaming is shameful but lying about it kinda is

I really don't care to participate either, I'm too busy irl tbh. streaming the same song over and over again, then doing it on other platforms seems exhausting

🤍

• I really don't care to participate either, I'm too busy irl tbh. streaming the same song over and over again, then doing it on other platforms seems exhausting

ikr?

It's usually people who work from home or study anyway

No way other people have time for it lmao

• streaming culture was something i really had to get "used" to when i got into kpop/stan culture

i didn't understand why you couldn't loop songs if you liked them, why i had to insert songs as fillers, etc..

what i do like is the streaming lives btschartdata organises on Stationhead.

they always succeed in bringing many armys together to listen simultaneously & talk/hype about each and every song on the timeline.. gives a very community type of feeling

• No, I don't partake in streaming parties, streaming goals and such. I see fans on twitter setting things in motion in order to break this milestone, to achieve that goal, etc. And in a way, I commend their devotion, especially when it's in dire times for the group, but I can't be bothered with all this. It's too much work for a something that's supposed to be fun first and foremost. I watch stuff when I want to, I listen to stuff when I want to.

It's a pity that lots of fans consider kpop like some sort of sports, where you have to beat the opposite teams by the numbers (sales, streams, etc). To me it's more about enjoying and sharing things with like-minded people. When I was a young metalhead in high school, a couple of buddies and I used to talk about music all day. At no point did we bring up sales numbers and stuff. Firstly we didn't know them, and secondly we didn't care. A band can be totally nugu and release the hottest shit of the month (every band starts nugu anyway).

• Streaming culture is one of the reasons why I think Kpop became a cult instead of being a music genre.

I've streamed before ngl, but because I liked the song/performance and couldn't get over it, not to inflate numbers or anything related to it.

yeah I remember seeing ppl pressuring others to stream, implying that you would be less of a fan if you didn't. at one point I did feel forced to stream but I eventually had to stop due to school

🤍

• I don't participate. I prefer to just watch MVs and listen to music as I feel like it and when the mood strikes vs. consuming it like it's work.

I do think a lot of people take it too seriously though. Like I've seen people talk about calling off school/work to stream their faves. That's not healthy imo.

• It is stupid that I say I don't like it but I have done it consciously back when GFriend released Mago because I doubted around that time that they weren't going to renew and wanted to help them have bigger numbers so they could be more succesful and maybe get a better deal or something that would make them renew.

I also did it for Sunrise but that I did because I was addicted to Sunrise, it is still my favorite Kpop song ever :lover3:

• streaming culture was something i really had to get "used" to when i got into kpop/stan culture

i didn't understand why you couldn't loop songs if you liked them, why i had to insert songs as fillers, etc..

what i do like is the streaming lives btschartdata organises on Stationhead.

they always succeed in bringing many armys together to listen simultaneously & talk/hype about each and every song on the timeline.. gives a very community type of feeling

I've never streamed with other ppl before, but it definitely sounds better since it can bring a fanbase together in a sense

🤍

• Have participated in it. Not crazy about them, they can get a bit boring and can use a shit ton of data so don't watch them anymore. (No, I don't have access to free wifi).

• I've never streamed with other ppl before, but it definitely sounds better since it can bring a fanbase together in a sense

if you like bts songs, you should join next time! its very fun and wholesome.

or you could ask around with the fanbases of your group?

• Streaming is fine if done in moderation/without it actually interfering with your life. I think it's only natural to want to make people whom you admire seen. It can also be a chance for fandoms to bond over achievements of teamwork.

Personally I listen to music and watch mvs whenever I feel like (which is often, but because I genuinely want to). If something really needs to be streamed and I have time I will make sure to watch the video at least 3 times a day (since that's a number that will definitely be recorded for views, anything above 5/day might not afaik), but honestly? Chances are I would watch it many times anyway, so it makes zero difference to my life.

• I like to spend lots of $$ on kpop.. albums, digitals, merch, concerts.. etc... but I don't care about steaming and never do it. I'll listen and watch when I feel like it for entertainment.

I do have some younger cousins who are steamers, 5-10 devices running 15-20 hrs a day it seems. Seems so silly, and mostly they stream fancams of their favs. I don't even think idols get any money from fancam streams. I wish they spend their time doing better things.

• I don't like the idea and I don't really stream myself but I don't really get why people act like it's a kpop thing when groups from america and the uka also have fans streaming their songs

• I tried it once and then was like "this is dumb" lol.

It's fine if people want to do it and if they enjoy that competitive aspect to kpop I guess, but I think it makes a lot of achievements kinda meaningless (well, I mean charts are pretty meaningless anyway).

• I don't like the idea and I don't really stream myself but I don't really get why people act like it's a kpop thing when groups from america and the uka also have fans streaming their songs

This!

Anyway, I participate when I want to because it’s fun if you do it the right way (with friends or streaming parties). It’s not something I have to do though so I don’t feel bad if at times I don’t participate.

• It's about being a good soldier and stream songs/MVs of your favorite artist, either when you're told to, or basically all the time.

Oh. Then for me streaming is alright. I don't have the dedication to have a setup that'll constantly stream stuff on spotify or youtube but putting their songs into study playlists is a pretty good thing not only for the ad revenue but their stats as well. I do it casually just because but mostly due to the fact that I want to give direct help to idols that I stan; and in a global capitalist machine, numbers matter. I know that my contribution won't be much but as a stan I'd rather pull my weight as well, not just talk empty.

My main focus for streaming is mostly related to money and ad revenue. Charts are meaningless but money makes the world go around. If it doesn't have an ad tacked to it, I'll like and comment but I might not stream it on the regular if the content was head and shoulders above the rest.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!