My two-cents on Enhypen Jake’s necklace controversy

• Seeing how the thread ghostings made, unfortunately, got derailed— I decided to create my own thread to give my two-cents on the situation because the vile behaviour in response to this controversy just ain’t it.

People, per usual, are either completely disregarding Muslims and the issue to project their hate towards Jake and Enhypen.

People need to realize that Jake’s accessory is not a simple necklace, it’s considered sacred for Muslims because it has the name of God, “الله”‎ (Allah) engraved in it. Most Muslims are not enraged because Jake wore it, they are upset by the fact he wore it while he was performing, an act which is frowned upon in Islam. Even as Muslims, you can’t even enter bathroom while wearing accessories with God’s name on it in Islam, much less use it as an aesthetic. It’s considered highly disrespectful in the circumstance it was worn. Generally, Muslims don’t even wear necklaces or bracelets with God’s name on it in fear they might accidentally disrespect it unconsciously. That being said, I, personally don’t believe it’s appropriate to scapegoat Jake, when the stylist and the company that manufactured the necklace is at fault. It’s their job to be aware and educated about the accessories and clothes they choose to purchase/ sell. I wouldn’t expect Jake to know much about Islam, or Arabic to know what’s written on his necklace. Sure, it would be nice if he tried to be aware and educated of his stylist’s fashion choices, but, it’s highly unrealistic and it’s not his responsibility to know unless he himself was the one picking out his stage outfits. As employees, they will likely follow what the stylists prepare for them for their public appearances without much thought.

As for the few Muslims that are using this opportunity to “cancel” Jake and Enhypen, it’s honestly disappointing. As Muslims, we can not assume that he intentionally intended to wear and disrespect it. There is something in Islam called “husn al dhan,” one of the main ethics we are taught is to give the person benefit of the doubt rather than holding onto the extreme end of the stick. I understand they are upset, but the way they showcase their concern for their religion is in opposition of its teachings. Personally, I would even go as far as giving the stylists the benefit of the doubt— because the company, Forchaser, named the necklace “Ghetto-Hustle-Swag,” the stylist wouldn’t have known it held a religious significance to Muslims, but even then as a stylist they should have known better. It’s their job. Glad the company took down the “Allah” necklace, but either way, I wouldn’t expect much of an apology from Jake. It would more understandable if the stylist and the company apologized. I hope Belift responds soon, because people on Twitter and Tiktok love blowing things out proportion.

• Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!

Engenes have been sending emails all day long, posting templates on twitter but we aren't getting anything from the company yet.. I am afraid that the company might not issue an apology but people say that they might be slow due to the lunar year celebrations in korea so let's see..

Also, if the company doesn't release a statement, engenes who won fancalls will try to educate Jake on the matter and talk about it with him

• Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!

Engenes have been sending emails all day long, posting templates on twitter but we aren't getting anything from the company yet.. I am afraid that the company might not issue an apology but people say that they might be slow due to the lunar year celebrations in korea so let's see..

Also, if the company doesn't release a statement, engenes who won fancalls will try to educate Jake on the matter and talk about it with him

Personally, I think that’s a little too much. I don’t think he should be the one to take the blame, when initially it wasn’t his fault. It’s quite awkward to get reprimanded for someone else’s mistake. But, again, that’s just my opinion.

• Honestly the way people responded really disappointed me. Some kept gaslighting saying muslims are too sensitive. And some clearly don't care about the issue but just wanted an excuse to drag enhypen while mentioning stuff that don't have anything to do with it. On the main forum most users were reasonable, but on anons it was a whole mess

• Honestly the way people responded really disappointed me. Some kept gaslighting and some clearly don't care about the issue but just wanted an excuse to drag enhypen while mentioning stuff that don't have anything to do with it. On the main forum most users were reasonable, but on anons it was a whole mess

some of those users in anon really displayed their little respect for Muslims, but what can you expect, some of the users here are very islamaphobic. It was their chance and they ran with it.

• Personally, I think that’s a little too much. I don’t think he should be the one to take the blame, when initially it wasn’t his fault. It’s quite awkward to get reprimanded for someone else’s mistake. But, again, that’s just my opinion.

I get that! It's muslim engenes who want to push with that and as a nonmuslim i can't really say anything about it

• some of those users in anon really displayed their little respect for Muslims, but what can you expect, some of the users here are very islamaphobic. It was their chance and they ran with it.

I honestly want to know who wrote those stuff so that I can block them

• Well said and i can see you thought enough about it so you have my respect (not that it matters much, but you understood :pepewash: kkkk)!

This isn't a cancel issue obviously, but if some were offended then they can share their disappointment without being called names.

• Did they mess up this much? I keep seeing some saying how bad they are when it comes to situations like this... I'm not surprised tbh, i think kpop companies in general tend to just ignore majority of the issues.

There were a few controversial situations like this before and they kept silent despite fans constantly contacting them and requesting an apology.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• Thanks for restarting the conversation. I am not Muslim but really enjoyed reading the discussions back and forth between Muslim members about what was or wasn’t acceptable, what is or isn’t written and how different people interpret and was disappointed when it got closed. (Yes I understand that it was getting derailed but overall the thread was really interesting.) I found it really enlightening and insightful. I hope we can continue here with the discussion.

I look forward to hearing everyone’s insights here!

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• As employees, they will likely follow what the stylists prepare for them for their public appearances without much thought.

I don’t agree with this logic. And neither do I apply it for my favs. Wrong is wrong. Blame both the artist and the stylist. This whole thing of “it’s always the stylist” fault doesn’t sit well with me. Easy to blame a nameless faceless person and forget about the issue.

I’ll let the Muslims decide if it’s offensive or not. But as a general stance…I just wanted to add my two cents on absolving blame from the artist to make ourselves feel better about stanning something isn’t the right way.

• Husn Al-dhan is honestly a very beautiful concept to me, it’s honestly stuck with me ever since I came to know. It gives me mental relief majority of the time.

Honestly, you basically summed it up. People are quick to get hot-headed and ready to jump others even for unintentional mistakes rather taking a minute to stop, analyze, and conclude. As you have mentioned, all of us may be guilty of unintentional ignorance at some point and time, and those moments should be taken to analyze and reflect our shortcomings but it shouldn’t be something to drag and disrespect someone over. Something one of my old teachers have taught me is that— before pointing a finger at someone, be mindful the rest four are pointing back at you. This is something I try to be mindful of and remind myself of before anyone else.

• In my opinion, co-fans should not push the fans who won the fan call to give up their time to discuss unless they are willing & able to do so . Their time & opinion should be respected, in the same manner that if a certain group took offense on this issue. We should not arm-wrestled them - respect only begets respect.

I am non- muslim, i cant tell anyone not to be offended but i am also offended that we use the term “ should educate” anyone of their customs, beliefs or religion. It’s not mandatory to do that. No one should be obligated to learn anything like it’s a mandatory military training or demanding people to check items they buy for fear of getting cancelled. No one should expect that . Instead tolerance & understanding the situation are more appropriate. In some cultures one act can be acceptable while in others it can be a taboo & it goes on. Cancelling each others missteps will create more division and cultivate hate . It’s easy to learn things when no one is imposing it or no one is acting superior that they should know this. It only makes some people reject it more. There are many ways to skin a cat . Guilt tripping and calling people ignorant are definitely not the way. I’ve seen some in twitter or even in some threads here saying the line , ignorant or choosing to be ignorant as if they know it all.

In this issue, It is mainly the fault of the shop since they clearly know what they are selling. The stylist might have some lapses in judgement but benefit of the doubt should be given to him/her too. TBH, i felt bad for the stylist too because he/she can be doing a lot of things and we don’t even know what actually happened but people are already judging and demanding a lot . It’s important to know what is it that they want in this situation. Is it just an apology? Do we want some heads to roll? Stylists fired? Also, people are using this opportunity to pull Enhypen down considering that there are other well-known groups who wore that. If this is about accountability, they should be called out too!

Lastly, having an open mind should not be exclusive to one party, nor expect anything from anyone they cant do themselves .

Edited 2 times, last by EnhypenHi ().

• What I don't understand is the feeling of being entitled to an apology. Every apology you get after asking for it is no true apology. And by requesting an apology, you rob the person of the chance to apologize spontaneously and sincerely.

Honestly, I kind of agree with you on this. Requested apologies probably aren’t sincere, but with an industry that is quick to jump on the cancel train, it’s a quick way to get those people off their backs and slow the backlash. It was up to me, I’d rather them just reflect on it themselves individually, and grow as a person than have them apologize insincerely.

• This , I agree. Why are we rushing them to apologize? Considering it’s lunar holidays and usually celebrate it longer than the actual holidays . We also need to respect their customs & culture . There are things that need reflection to get a sincere apology. That’s why I am questioning the motive of some for blowing this up, There are of course genuine concerns but mostly , it’s just clout chasing if not using this opportunity to hate on Enhypen more.

Honestly, I kind of agree with you on this. Requested apologies probably aren’t sincere, but with an industry that is quick to jump on the cancel train, it’s a quick way to get those people off their backs and slow the backlash. It was up to me, I’d rather them just reflect on it themselves individually, and grow as a person than have them apologize insincerely.

• If ur talking abt that incident, I believe it was a different scenario. Not all issues should be addressed esp if there is no solid evidence to back it up. It’s more prudent to keep ur silence than discuss things esp if it’s not true. Sometimes , there is dignity in silence . And I agree on that stance. Somehow, it works well with them since Enhypen is doing pretty well.

But for this issue, since it’s more solid & controversial , if I were Belift - ill just apologize and get over it. Nobody wants a sincere apology this days as long as they apologize fast .

There were a few controversial situations like this before and they kept silent despite fans constantly contacting them and requesting an apology.

• As somebody who is not Muslim I don't understand the extent of the problem.

But as a Christian, the company who made those necklaces still have the face of "Jesus" on.

That kinda irks me. Even tho I am not so much of a religious person.

Why the F would they use religious signs/names/faces etc. especially when most people won't know what they are buying? That company is shady AF

• This is true. I used to work in a Muslim country and 99% of my Muslim colleagues are open minded tbh , more open minded than non-muslims . The funny thing is esp in twitter , 90% of those pretending to be offended are not even Muslims . I feel sorry for those genuine concerns because it kinda defeat the purpose, there are too many clout chasers .

Edited 2 times, last by EnhypenHi ().

• If ur talking abt that incident, I believe it was a different scenario. Not all issues should be addressed esp if there is no solid evidence to back it up. It’s more prudent to keep ur silence than discuss things esp if it’s not true. Sometimes , there is dignity in silence . And I agree on that stance. Somehow, it works well with them since Enhypen is doing pretty well.

But for this issue, since it’s more solid & controversial , if I were Belift - ill just apologize and get over it. Nobody wants a sincere apology this days as long as they apologize fast .

I agree but am just saying considering their history it's unlikely they'll do something.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• you phrased this really, really well.

• As somebody who is not Muslim I don't understand the extent of the problem.

there are certain things in Islam you can/cannot do while dealing with sacred text/names. there are rules you have to follow while wearing items like this, which is why fans are upset- those rules were not followed and its essentially disrespectful to our beliefs. i know it doesn't make a lot of sense for people who aren't used to it, but it still matters because we know the importance or those names and things.

just to give you a rough list of what you're not supposed to be doing/ what would be looked down upon with things like that

• going to/entering the bathroom or any restroom
    • doing things that are frowned upon, and discouraged (in this case, dancing/singing in a certain manner is frowned upon in Islam)
    • committing sins
    • intentionally disrespecting the name.

i think that's everything?

• Thanks for explaining why it was deemed disrespectful. The company should stop producing those necklaces if that's the case. :huuh:

they apologized and took it off, including the buddha necklace. to my knowledge.

• there are certain things in Islam you can/cannot do while dealing with sacred text/names. there are rules you have to follow while wearing items like this, which is why fans are upset- those rules were not followed and its essentially disrespectful to our beliefs. i know it doesn't make a lot of sense for people who aren't used to it, but it still matters because we know the importance or those names and things.

just to give you a rough list of what you're not supposed to be doing/ what would be looked down upon with things like that

• doing things that are frowned upon, and discouraged (in this case, dancing/singing in a certain manner is frowned upon in Islam)
    • committing sins

So I can understand this right.

It is not wrong for him to wear the necklace with the name, if he treats it with the respect it is due?

But since he danced with it, it is frowned upon because he took it and performed on a stage.

To be honest? I doubt he wanted to intentionally disrespect His name, I doubt he even had any idea what that necklace is.

P.S. I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic here, I know a lot of people know me to be so. I just want to understand the issue since there have been a lot of threads on it.

P.S.2 Not a fan nor do I care about the guy because I don't know them.

And,

P.S.3 I really doubt he has any say in what his stylists pick for him to wear. The company is the one who should hire more diverse backgrounds of people so they can have a better view of the world.

Religion, race, culture and so on..

• Why would this be his fault? He's not even the one picking the neckless, people don't go claiming western celebrities are pro imperialists for using rising sun clothes/accessories, we know they have absolutely no idea it's even offensive. The one at fault is the designer because they're the ones who intentionally designed the thing and sold it.

• yeah, pretty much.

i definitely don't think he did it on purpose either. it was a mistake on belift's part, and OP, me, and (im sure) many other muslim engenes just want them to change even if we don't get an apology. im not too upset over the whole situation because it genuinely doesn't seem like anyone was trying to disrespect someone else on purpose here.

• there are certain things in Islam you can/cannot do while dealing with sacred text/names. there are rules you have to follow while wearing items like this, which is why fans are upset- those rules were not followed and its essentially disrespectful to our beliefs. i know it doesn't make a lot of sense for people who aren't used to it, but it still matters because we know the importance or those names and things.

• committing sins

Yeah, sacred things, such as the names of God or the Quran, can not be used in vain due to its significance.

As you have already mentioned, you can not go into the bathroom with those things on you, and you can not verbally recite those in the bathroom either.

It’s deemed with high importance, for example, even during prayer you can not have a picture or objects that resemble the living around you while you pray. Yes, you can own such items, but during prayer, it is necessary to avoid having the presence of these items around you.

It probably doesn’t make a lot of sense to non-Muslims, because it will be a long day if someone sits to explain the significance of these actions (though I don’t mind explaining if anyone is interested).

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!