More idols exposed for "Chinese" greetings + "Everglow" scandal causes further outrage in Korea

• i don't agree with the insult and the comment

but i do agree with the fact that when you live in a different country you need to at least act and respect their traditions.

they didn't ask them to convert to a different religion from them, or deny their country

and i don't think comparing this to americain saying "hi" or having a free spirit is the same '-'

i would mostly compare this to for example foreigner going into korean house, they know that it's in koreans traditions to not walk with their shoes in their home, i never see a foreigner say no i'll walk with my shoes because in america that's how we do and i'm uncomfortable with walking barefoot, even if it makes them uncomfortable they at least try to get used to koreans traditions, because they know that they are in korea and they are the one who are suppose to follow their traditions and understand them and not the contrary

or i even know some muslim people who went to asian countries and bow when they needed to follow and respect their traditions even if Bowing in muslim culture is only for prayer , because you greet them and only follow their culture, you're not bowing to them because you consider them powerful or an equivalent to god

Like i said i do understand chinese people, because it's in their tradition

but i do also understand from where Koreans are coming, because chinese idols are in their country so they should at least try to bow knowing it's a very common thing in korean culture

and when you live and work in a different country you do have to make some compromise

so yeah i can understand koreans pov when they are mad that chinese idols aren't trying to make any compromise while working and living here

i wouldn't be happy neither if someone came to live in my family household and doesn't even bother to try to follow our traditions and disrepect my family by not doing it simply because it's not how they are doing from where they come

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• if i were in these c idols position, i would bow but I don't kneel for nobody but my parents & grandma. These comments are disgusting

• A bunch of dudes in their 40's and 50's be ANGRY

Oh well

Sad part is you are wrong. China in general has had soo much bad rep here in Korea that they have surpassed Japan in general hate. For people to understand this, will have to look back at history there's alot of bad blood there. This is similar to how alot of Islamic nations have utter hatred for Israel. Many more of today's china haters are from the younger generation not just your 40 50yr old boomers, you are seeing it more often in people in their 20s and younger and from both genders. Though xenophobia is wrong international fans should learn about our culture and history. It's better to understand why something is the way it is than to just pass judgement without learning.

• chinese idols have all their rights not to kneel

Knetizen shouldnt make a big fuss out of this in first place

Chinese are taught not to simply kneel, unless to your own parents

• Man I just know this article is to hide something going on behind the scenes and provoke public outrage

I agree, this situation is so strange.

Tao isn't even promoting in Korea anymore. He left after SM basically destroyed his mental and physical health.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• Hmm, but if they do this, won't they be called traitors in their home countries? Since this is clearly so important and about something way larger than just idols bowing or not bowing. This is highly blown out of proportion and reeks of xenophobia to me (not your comment, the whole 'scandal' and outrage).

mKl7Ghm.png

• Hmm, but if they do this, won't they be called traitors in their home countries? Since this is clearly so important and about something way larger than just idols bowing or not bowing. This is highly blown out of proportion and reeks of xenophobia to me (not your comment, the whole 'scandal' and outrage).

Why ? i saw many chinese idols promote just fine in China without making any post about supporting CCP for example, and we all know how it's important in china , for example WayV members like xiaojun, Winwin, yangyang, hendery didn't post anything about the CCP and weren't call traitors in china

also i find this kinda hypocrites that a lot of people are criticizing koreans reactions

but then ignore chinese comments saying things like " Korea was an old colony of china, and only slave kneel that's why korean kneel and not chinese " etc.....

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• Why ? i saw many chinese idols promote just fine in China without making any post about supporting CCP for example, and we all know how it's important in china , for example WayV members like xiaojun, Winwin, yangyang, hendery didn't post anything about the CCP and weren't call traitors in china

also i find this kinda hypocrites that a lot of people are criticizing koreans reactions

but then ignore chinese comments saying things like " Korea was an old colony of china, and only slave kneel that's why korean kneel and not chinese " etc.....

Sorry, I didn't see those comments but they're disgusting.

Because the current climate in China is that if you have even one scandal, doesn't even have to be a scandal really, you can get erased from the internet and banned from promoting. So if this happened to them because they were doing the Korean greeting and someone in China decided to make a post about it, it's likely they'd get Zhu Zhennaned too. Are you following the situation with their entertainment industry?

Furthermore, I think I'd great the new year by how I was raised to do, wherever I lived. We don't bow where I'm from, in any case, and it'd feel weird to me. Maybe if I lived somewhere for many years and felt like I was used to that country's greetings and customs, I'd do it to honor them.

mKl7Ghm.png

• Hi just to correct you there no such thing as Muslim culture Islam is a religion not a culture

• Not even bow but kneel. Honestly seeing this is scary. I am glad I live in my own country that has my culture. I really feel bad for whoever lives in a foreign country and is forced to do things that are against their beliefs just for courtesy (yeah including foreigners in my country if they had to go through that

agree with you.. they just wanna hate c idols so bad

• Sad part is you are wrong. China in general has had soo much bad rep here in Korea that they have surpassed Japan in general hate. For people to understand this, will have to look back at history there's alot of bad blood there. This is similar to how alot of Islamic nations have utter hatred for Israel. Many more of today's china haters are from the younger generation not just your 40 50yr old boomers, you are seeing it more often in people in their 20s and younger and from both genders. Though xenophobia is wrong international fans should learn about our culture and history. It's better to understand why something is the way it is than to just pass judgement without learning.

They reason why I made my jokey comment is because in OP's image has a screenshot, and link, to the naver article. Naver articles have that little graphical break down showing gender and age of users that have responded to the article.

The HUGE majority of response are from men, and 63% of comments were from people aged 40-60.

So... it seems a bunch of 40-60 year old men are angry, on that article anyway

I've lived 5 years of my life in Japan, I know there is little love lost between the three countries sometimes.

YgwjEB7.jpg

• Yes the our nations have little love for each other. For this article it's correct but I'm referring to the general public there are polls that are done and increasingly the general public of all ages are less tolerant of Chinese more so than Japan or anyone else.

China is the new Japan over here in Korea.

• You are so off-based. These Chinese idols follow most etiquette, and only modified ONE gesture because it violate their personal belief very seriously. This is not about "doesn't even bother" trying. And the Chinese idols do try to show their respect like that one guy who kneel on one knee and bowing his head. That gesture is an ancient one where people do it to someone very very superior to them. So at least they trying.

Respect and courtesy need to be a 2-way street. Visitors need to respect the host, but the host also need to give some understanding and respect to the visitor's personal belief, and both parties can meet half-way.

You shoe example is so way off because there is huge disparity between the two gesture. Even for the shoe example, the host sometime accommodate visitors by letting them wearing "indoor shoes" as well.

• The demographic info on the posts says quite a lot about how to view this "hate" - and it is also campaign season in South Korea, so that probably has something to do with it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!