What do you it is better for a group to have a distinct sound or to change it after certain period of time?

• leavessick

Changed the title of the thread from “What do you itbetter for a group to have a distinct sound or to change it after certain period of time?” to “What do you it is better for a group to have a distinct sound or to change it after certain period of time?”.
  • Distinct sound from the beginning. It indicates that artist is staying true to their vision.

Change after certain some time indicates the original direction wasn't working or didn't get them enough fans or any other reason.

seconded

• I prefer 'a group to have a distinct sound' because it represents the group's image, sets the group apart from the other groups. 'Changing the sound' represents that the group trying to copy what others are doing in order to be successful and that annoys me a lot.

~~~Let's Get Going~~~

• I'm fine with either, as long as they're done right and the music is good. On one hand, a distinct sound can help set people apart in a constantly competitive industry, where any recognition can be valuable, and having a consistent sound, can be useful to that. That being said, I thing a group changing their sound is a better idea. Or at least it can be, and probably is in a lot of cases.

Doing so (a group changing their music) can show a group's versatility, proving how incredibly talented they are at switching from one concept to the next. It also allows to music to mature along with both the fans and the artists. If the artist is making their own music, it gives them more creative freedom to make what they want, instead of working inside of a metaphorical box. It also allows them to explore their identity for a bit and decide what sound they want to go with and what their fans like and don't like. Lastly, it means there will be a song for everyone, all from the same artist.

• you can have your distinct signature style and try different genres at the same time

not many of them can do it though

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it's better to have a signature sound but still be able to experiment and explore beyond that. I like when groups are able to try something different but still be able to return to their usual sound or mix it up.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So as an Insomnia i'm happy DC came out and stuck with their style through thick a thin, sure it hurt them from growing domestically... but they stayed the course, they have branched out abit and their B-sides show that but the title tracks are all rock focused still.

What is amazing about DC and Dreamcatcher company is that after all these years and perseverance any dark or rock type concept that comes out a few people say this sounds like a "Dreamcatcher sounding song" it makes me so happy they have carved their own way into KPOP and they continue to experiment everytime going forward.

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

• I prefer it when groups switch it up!

:music-raccoon:

But, I think it's also cool for groups to have a recognizable sound, they just have to be able to tweak it so that it doesn't get boring for listeners.

• A group with a story line who sticks to it throughout the years whether they change up their sound or experiment yet still sticks to a storyline works for me.

Example Ateez debuted as pirates and EVERYTHING they do revolves around their storyline/lore even brought it to kigndom etc. They have experimented in various ways, different sounds from dark, to light, to ballads, to sad songs, to upbeat songs, summer songs, boy crush etc. but they have always stayed true to themselves and their story. I think that's what really makes them stand apart.

or in up10tion's case, just open their mouth and i'm hooked.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!