What do you guys think about this?? (Spotify content)

• Some kpop fans now know how to count Spotify streams and the amount of work and research done is intelligent, but i think it's also controversial.

I'll post just this pic where i censured some names bc I'm not trying to bring fanwars here, but i would like to know people's opinions about it.

Just yesterday we were discussing about this so yes.

unknown-2.png

Disclaimer: I'm really not trying to start s, but i think this is a subject that will probably be applied to almost all fandoms so yes.

• The effort and organization to be able pull this out is commendable. There was an even bigger test involving 3000 users and 7 days.

It shows how poorly designed Spotify is. It deserves to be exploited just so they learn to design a decent system.

But it also shows how far people are willing to cheat the system for their faves and proves K-pop numbers are artificial and inflated. Now that everyone knows the rules of the game, it's bounded to get worse. K-pop numbers are going to become even more meaningless.

• It shows how poorly designed Spotify is. It deserves to be exploited just so they learn to design a decent system.

It's also concerning how only 87 people were able to give 33k streams to a song. That's 377 streams per person. In another test 57 people gave 96k streams to a song. That's 1687 streams per person. Imagine the impact on the charts of doing this on a large scale.

• just dont say army bad army evil why do army gang up on other users

u chose to make this thread

First i don't generalize fandoms, second this is indeed a controversial strategy, but all fandoms will try to make it so i won't even single out a fandom when probably 90% of the fandoms will use it.

But please, if some do take offense over this thread and start calling me names, throwing insults and whatever I'll obviously think " they are crazy" not "I'm guilty" . In no way I'll think I'm guilty bc my intention isn't to fight, it is to see what others opinions are about this.

There is nothing to hide here.

• well western labels use streaming farms for their acts

fans already used mulitiple devices /methods to mass stream ( for example rented internet cafes mass stream mvs)

now fans know about how spotify works, most fans still wont use this method

about streaming farm s

E91odkEUYAQG5qz?format=jpg&name=large

• Oh, actually i heard about this too. But do you think this won't be used a lot in kpop? I find this strategy difficult tbh, but it was indeed a intelligent and well done research.

• After Spotify started that payola crap, I could give a damn. They don't pay worth a damn to the artists for those streams anyway. Let it burn. P.S stop creeping on fandoms you don't belong to then running to snitch, its giving stalker vibes.

• Spotify is a good metric to determine a song success however it has its flaws I can say the same thing about YouTube, Melon, Genie...

But I also noticed a lot of kpop songs are heavy filtered I don’t remember very well the numbers but Adele’s lead single pulled the same unfiltered streams as Butter but on Spotify daily chart butter debuted with over 7-11M streams on its first day while her single debuted with like 14-17M streams. Spotify counts all streams I thought you have to make playlists with different songs but apparently not you can stream as long you want but Spotify will recount your streams if you’re aren’t interacting with your playlists.

It clears fan play a huge part in streaming but unless you have a big fanbase it doesnt make such difference even if you host a streaming party

• Oh, actually i heard about this too. But do you think this won't be used a lot in kpop? I find this strategy difficult tbh, but it was indeed a intelligent and well done research.

well dedicated fans will use it bcs they done it before, but most fans dont have time to use this strategy

• Snitch?? Stalker vibes??

nazare-tedesco.gif

Yup, it's weird, really weird behavior that gets applauded in this kpop community. I love hip hop but don't care for Drake too much. Now what would I look like spying on Drake fans then running and telling (screenshots) to Kendrick and Cole fans some of the controversial things they do for him, 😂. It is WEIRDO behavior. Stop the madness, your looking crazy out here. As a whole, kpop fans need to stop it.

• Yup, it's weird, really weird behavior that gets applauded in this kpop community. I love hip hop but don't care for Drake too much. Now what would I look like spying on Drake fans then running and telling (screenshots) to Kendrick and Cole fans some of the controversial things they do for him, 😂. It is WEIRDO behavior. Stop the madness, your looking crazy out here. As a whole, kpop fans need to stop it.

Spying? That wasn't on a private gc neither private dm so here you already lost your whole argument. But it's you who sounds mad, but go on, be crazy.

• Spying? That wasn't on a private gc neither private dm so here you already lost your whole argument. But it's you who sounds mad, but go on, be crazy.

LMAO, sound like I hurt your feelings. You... Never... said... where... you ... got... it ... from. Or who the fandom is. Which comes off creepy. But please, don't let me stop you from doing socially awkward things on the site. Have fun being suspect.

• just dont say army bad army evil why do army gang up on other users

u chose to make this thread

After Spotify started that payola crap, I could give a damn. They don't pay worth a damn to the artists for those streams anyway. Let it burn. P.S stop creeping on fandoms you don't belong to then running to snitch, its giving stalker vibes.

exactly. Maybe this thread was genuinly meant to discuss this topic, but if even tetetete is calling you out, think again. you're known on this site as a neutral person, but some of your posts seem very directed to certain groups/fandoms/users lately. It reads very fake. you do you ofcourse, but thought you should know.

that being said, this is an actual good topic. However, it's pretty useless to debate over imo. In the end, stan fandoms will keep doing what they do and i also think these streaming goals don't have as much effect as we think.

• exactly. Maybe this thread was genuinly meant to discuss this topic, but if even tetetete is calling you out, think again. you're known on this site as a neutral person, but some of your posts seem very directed to certain groups/fandoms/users lately. It reads very fake. you do you ofcourse, but thought you should know.

that being said, this is an actual good topic. However, it's pretty useless to debate over imo. In the end, stan fandoms will keep doing what they do and i also think these streaming goals don't have as much effect as we think.

Actually tetete didn't call me out, just said something totally off topic. And my posts being direct towards USERS is true, i debate a lot with some USERS so i obviously need to be direct with them. I don't target groups neither "fandoms" as i don't generalizate, but i obviously discuss with some users of the same fandom, but it's normal i guess.

It's a good topic and i didn't mention names bc i think this will be common with fandomS. But anyways, if people don't want to discuss about it, ok.

• I think it first started because Spotify heavily filtered BTS streams compared to other western acts. People were wondering what did we do wrong and test out the parameters. ARMY are so used to BTS getting the short end of the stick (especially in the west) and through out the years have learn that you need facts and figures to break glass ceilings.

And kpop reap rewards from ARMY’s tutorials - album sales, YouTube streams, Spotify streams, charting etc

Those who only sees it as a streaming contest really don’t see the bigger picture.

• It's weird, but I don't think It's that serious. Okay, fans are manipulating like they've always done. But they won't manipulate forever. One day they will get tired, one day there will be no initial records to care about, one day their faves will release another work that will have to focus on and the longevity of the song will be used as a metric to show If the track has been successful or not.

• I think it first started because Spotify heavily filtered BTS streams compared to other western acts. People were wondering what did we do wrong and test out the parameters. ARMY are so used to BTS getting the short end of the stick (especially in the west) and through out the years have learn that you need facts and figures to break glass ceilings.

And kpop reap rewards from ARMY’s tutorials - album sales, YouTube streams, Spotify streams, charting etc

Those who only sees it as a streaming contest really don’t see the bigger picture.

How much is the difference between BTS filtered streams and top western acts? Is it really big? I saw some armys talking about it, but idk the numbers. Interisting take!

• Oh, interesting. I love empirical data like this. I mean, we always knew that streaming stats could be manipulated, but I didn't realize the effect could be so huge from a relatively small set of users. I would love to see more data.

Having said that, I am far too lazy to dedicated stream anything. Lol

• How much is the difference between BTS filtered streams and top western acts? Is it really big? I saw some armys talking about it, but idk the numbers. Interisting take!

Not sure if you saw the discussion yesterday in how Adele’s and BTS unfiltered numbers were close you BTS filters rate was so much higher that they debuted butter with much lower filtered numbers. So yes the gulf is quite wide.

And you realize you left the name of the song in the doc right? This is why everyone knows which fandom you got this from.

• Well the person who did this really didn’t bother to cover the song title. Anyway I don’t really care as a fan but all fandoms do this? Armys didn’t start streaming rules from 0, things like this already existed, they just research on it and all fandoms copy and paste it with their comeback goal, if kpop fans wants to think this is controversial better call all Spotify records from all kpop acts controversial bc I know for a fact none have happened without mass streaming

• Please read my reply above.

Ah, I didn't see that specific thread or take much notice of the name of the song (I'm not actually familiar with that song). I did participate in a thread where someone posted about not caring about streaming numbers and several fandom examples were used to show it's not a matter of one particular fandom. I think it's a interesting study regardless of which song was used. If she hadn't neglected to black out the song name, would this thread have been okay with everyone?

Also, wasn't this a study not something done by the fandom?

• Not sure if you saw the discussion yesterday in how Adele’s and BTS unfiltered numbers were close you BTS filters rate was so much higher that they debuted butter with much lower filtered numbers. So yes the gulf is quite wide.

And you realize you left the name of the song in the doc right? This is why everyone knows which fandom you got this from.

I didn't saw the discussion neither i realized that i left the song name :pepe-clown-gear:

• Ah, I didn't see that specific thread or take much notice of the name of the song (I'm not actually familiar with that song). I did participate in a thread where someone posted about not caring about streaming numbers and several fandom examples were used to show it's not a matter of one particular fandom. I think it's a interesting study regardless of which song was used. If she hadn't neglected to black out the song name, would this thread have been okay with everyone?

Also, wasn't this a study not something done by the fandom?

Not suddenly my thread becoming almost irrelevant over a minor mistake, i already edited the pic so let's see if we can talk about it.

• I don't understand. Why is this thread controversial? This is something that happens throughout kpop.

Well the person who did this really didn’t bother to cover the song title. Anyway I don’t really care as a fan but all fandoms do this? Armys didn’t start streaming rules from 0, things like this already existed, they just research on it and all fandoms copy and paste it with their comeback goal, if kpop fans wants to think this is controversial better call all Spotify records from all kpop acts controversial bc I know for a fact none have happened without mass streaming

Yes it is something prevalent in all fandoms. Since OP identifies as a Blink of course the AKP way of thinking errs on the side of seeing shade first if the user is from a rival fandom. I’d be willing to give OP the benefit if the doubt though that she didn’t realize.

And yes basically almost of our “records” rely on fandom cooperation to pull through. This us not just a kpop phenomenon. International Dua Lipa fans got caught last year and Billboard yanked their numbers. Lots if western fandoms for music acts have the same exact guides. It applies to everyone and if something needs to change, many fandoms will need to rethink their methods.

• This thread contains 53 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!