Kpop in 2nd generation: Golden area made by a handful people

• The 2nd gen of Kpop was the golden era but the success came down to a couple producers, few agencies and a very close network. Let’s gets started:

Let’s look at the Kpop companies: Up until 2006/2007 all the big acts came from the Big3 + DSP Media. From S.E.S and H.O.T all the way until SNSD, WG and Kara, literally 90% of all popular groups came from these companies. There were only a few exceptions like Baby Vox, Brown eyed girl and a few others. But when people realised that Kpop became more than a trend and a big market, with acts like TVXQ and BoA expanding even to Japan, was growing, a few new companies were founded.

The interesting part: They all almost exclusively came from the Big3:

Pledis (SM manager for BoA)

Cube (Former President of JYP)

Starship (Manager for JYP and one from Bighit)

Brave Entertainment (former YG producer)

Source Music (former talent manager for SM)

Wollim Entertainment (founded independently but later became SM subsidiary)

Another part were companies made by CJ since they wanted a piece of the Kpop market like MBK and FNC.

But overall the network was super small and very well connected.

Now let’s move on to my favourite part, the producers. Outside of the Big3, who often have in house production, the big hits of second and some of third gen were for the most part made by what I call the Big5. I’m sure most of your favourite second gen songs are made by one of these five producers:

1. Shinsadong Tiger

- 4 Minute (I my me mine, hot issue, huh, volume up and more)

- Hyuna (Bubble Pop, Change, Babe)

- Troublemaker (Troublemaker, Now)

- Beast (FICTION, Shock, Beast, Bad girl)

- Tara (Bo Beep Bo Beep, Roly Poly, Lovey Dovey, Sexy Love, Number 9, Sugar Free)

- Secret (Magic, Talk that)

- EXID (Every night, up & down, ah yeah, hot pink, lie, night rather than day, lady, I love you, me&you)

- Momoland (BoomBoom, Baam)

- WJSN (Secret)

- Apink (Five)

DEBUTED and MANAGED groups EXID and nowadays Tri.be

2. Sweetune

- Kara (Step, Mister, Pandora, Lupin, Damaged Lady)

- Infinite (THE CHASER - ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS IN KPOP HISTORY, BTD, Be mine, Last Romeo )

- Rainbow (A)

- Nine muses (ticket, wild, dolls, gun, glue)

- Spica (Russian Roulette, Lonely)

3. Brave Brothers (One person btw)

- Sistar (Alone, so cool, ma boy, push push, gone not around any longer, shady girl)

- 4minute (What’s your name, Is it poppin, whata doin today)

- AoA (Miniskirt, short hair, like a cat, heart attack, excuse me)

- Brave Girls (all their major songs including rollin, chi mat ba ram, we Ride)

- Hello Venus (wiggle wiggle, sticky sticky)

- After school (diva)

- boyfriend (boyfriend)

- Hyuna (ice cream)

- Dal Shabet (someone like u)

+ Plus songs for YG entertainment early on (BigBang, Se7en, 2ne1k

Plus established brave entertainment with acts like Brave Girls and DKB

4. Duble sidekick

- Sistar (Give it to me, loving u, I swear, shake it)

- Apink (Mr. chu)

- CLC (Pepe)

- Girls Day (SOMETHING, Darling, I miss you)

- Kara (Mamma Mia)

- MBLAQ (This is war)

Created MLD entertainment who have groups like Momoland and T1419

5. Black eyed pilseung

- Twice - all their best songs (Like ooh ahh, cheer up, tt, likey, fancy)

- StayC (So Bad, ASAP, stereotype)

- Got7 (if you do)

- Sistar (Touch my body, I like that, lonely)

- Chungha (Rollercoaster, Gotta Go)

- Apink (Im so sick, %%, Dumhdurum, only one)

- Miss A (Only you)

- Most of Teen Top 2014-2015 stuff including Niel

- WJSN (Happy)

Established High Up end debuted StayC last year!

+ Ryan S. Jhun who works mostly with SM (Lucifer, Love me right, I, view, married to the music, You think, dumb dumb, boom, obsession, kick it, punch, don’t call me, kick back, Sticker, peaches) but also worked with IU (celebrity), Ukiss (neverland), IOI (crush, Whatta man), Spica, Oh my girl and YooA (Dolphin, Dun Dun Dance, Bon Voyage), Weeekly (after school), Loona (PTT), Viction (What I said), VAV and most recently Ive (Eleven)

Also CEO of ateam with groups like VAV and BugAboo

Overall it is crazy how the golden era of Kpop and the expansion outwards from the Big3 was made by just a few ex managers from the Big3 and a couple producers!!!

Anyway, drop down below if any of your favourite Kpop songs were made by any of these producers!

• BEP is an interesting duo , individually they seemed to work with Shinsadong Tiger a lot(Rado with Volume Up, My My, and Hush, Choi Kyu-sung with the Roly Poly, Bubble Pop, and Fiction). But yes 2nd gen mainly the years of 2009-2011 where as awesome as they were because of the producers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!