KPOP is too fcking saturated

• nah I feel like a lot of groups are succeeding right now. Yk who's really getting the short end of the stick???? GWSN!!! stream their newest EP!!! need a comeback :peperain:

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This can be said about every niche in the music industry. Not to mention film and television.

• Basically every industry everywhere

Most people cant flourish in their wanted careers, its just life

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• success is not really a guarantee though in any music genre. And to add to that, the major problem with kpop as a music genre and industry is that it is solely based on economic return of investment. It is not an artist-centric industry like say jazz, rock, metal, funk or even western pop, where groups and artists can create music and perform regardless of success or mainstream popularity, since they can supplement income by touring or because of music credits. It is an investor-centric industry meaning in the end of the day the continued existence of a kpop group is guaranteed only upon investment return. And if you think the situation is bad now, wait until kpop adopts the virtual idol concept a la hatsune miku.

• The market will eventually weed out the pretenders from the contenders.

Kpop is actually a pretty small industry, relative to their American peers. In fact, if you think about boyband music itself as a subgenre, it was never that huge even during the heyday of the 90s and 00s with NKOTB, BoyzIIMen, New Edition, BSB, Nsync, 98 Degrees, 1D, plus the GGs like Spice Girls, Destinys Child, TLC, Fifth Harmony, and Little Mix.

I think having about 15 successful BGs and 10 successful GGs (BGs generally sell way more albums which make more of them financially viable and successful) would be a healthy industry. After this top tier, you could have another 25 BGs and GGs that are fighting to claw their way into the top tier.

I dont think you need more than 50 groups at any one time for Kpop, you can cover every market demo and niche with this many groups.

• I think it's a little, just a little, better than it was some years ago, because companies started taking notice of the potential of digital content

• well that's capitalism for you...

supply and demand and survival of the fittest etc etc

and hence why there are so many nugu groups (true nugu groups) where you haven't even heard of the name of hte group!!!

• success is not really a guarantee though in any music genre. And to add to that, the major problem with kpop as a music genre and industry is that it is solely based on economic return of investment. It is not an artist-centric industry like say jazz, rock, metal, funk or even western pop, where groups and artists can create music and perform regardless of success or mainstream popularity, since they can supplement income by touring or because of music credits. It is an investor-centric industry meaning in the end of the day the continued existence of a kpop group is guaranteed only upon investment return. And if you think the situation is bad now, wait until kpop adopts the virtual idol concept a la hatsune miku.

I don't think kpop will ever get into the virtual idol concept simply because of stan behavior not being as possible with that.

• I don't think kpop will ever get into the virtual idol concept simply because of stan behavior not being as possible with that.

Well there’s KDA that do extremely well, but I doubt the company/artists have them as priority which makes things even more impressive

• I was just looking at a list of acts who sold between 75k-25k (the range I use for groups with some fans but arent stable) copers per album this year and the list is too long for its own sake and with only 1 act having enough digitals/streams to make up for lower sales, brave girls. So many 2/3 year old groups capping at 50k and with the influx of post izone groups happening its only going to get worse

• nah I feel like a lot of groups are succeeding right now. Yk who's really getting the short end of the stick???? GWSN!!! stream their newest EP!!! need a comeback :peperain:

External Content open.spotify.com

I LOVE YOU FOR ALWAYS PROMOTING THEM!!!

~ ω

• and a lot of groups will get the short end of the stick because of it inevitably, there isn't enough space for everyone to fully flourish into success.

Peeps have been saying this since I have got into kpop and it has only got worse as the genre gets more international fans.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!