SECRET's Hyosung targeted at anti-feminist protests after participating in campaign against dating violence + kfans cancelling her??

• A couple weeks ago, former SECRET member Hyosung featured in a video by the Ministry Of Gender Equality And Family for their Drawing Hope Campaign, in which she shared her thoughts on dating violence and expressed hopes that views would change.

The video itself was basically innocuous to any reasonable people. In it, she shares her dream of living in a safe South Korea where there’s no more violence.

The “problem”, apparently is that she talked about gender violence, “When I watch the news these days, I feel there is more news about gender violence. I participated in the campaign because I want to help out even a little bit.I believe that it is an ambiguous issue for many people that is on the fine line between a crime and love. I came to realize that this is definitely a crime and I feel that still a lot of people are unclear about this.Because of this tolerant atmosphere, I believe that the reason and motive behind the crime can be blamed on the victim. However, the crime is solely the perpetrator’s fault but the victim is blamed with the view that the reason that crime happened is because of you.’ So, I believe that is wrong. I want this tolerant atmosphere to change.I believe this occurs because the perpetrator tries to satisfy their feeling of deficiency through someone else.

“When I go home when it gets dark, I’m always thinking, ‘Will I be able to make it home alive? I go home with these thoughts. … People ask, ‘did you get home safe?’ and that became the norm but that is not the norm. We should be able to express our thoughts freely, travel when we want to, love when we want to, break up when we want to. I believe this kind of freedom is a safe society.”

It’s baffling that there was any backlash over this as what she said was pretty standard from a Western-centric POV, but it pissed a lot of people off and then the implication at the end that she felt unsafe in Korea, essentially sent anti-feminists raging, and she got a bunch of hate even at the time (look at the dislikes or the older comments).

——

Outrage over things like that happen but they usually die down if one just ignores it, and since she didn’t said anything else, I had assumed things would gradually relax for her, but that was foolish in retrospect. In fact, since then the mess has only escalated for her, terrorizing her YouTube channel and making her lock Instagram comments on a post of hers.

Basically, anti-feminists have made her a representative feminist celebrity in Korea, which should be a cool thing in theory. However, the downside is in Korea right now it means that over the weekend a “men’s rights group” held a rally calling for the abolition of the Ministry Of Gender Equality And Family, marching for three hours for their “cause”. During the rally, they held up a picture of Hyosung from her appearance on ‘Saturday Night Live Korea’, taking a dig at her about ‘femicoin’, presumably insinuating that she’s taking these stances for monetary reasons.

This of course, despite the fact that she’s currently suffering greatly as a result of innocuous comments and there would be no notoriety to cash in on if they themselves didn’t make her into some kind of feminist figure. But hey, these people are never one for critical thinking. HyosungMRABanner-600x316.png

Meanwhile, Hyosung is now off from her radio show for a week for what is being called scheduling issues, but it’s impossible to not feel like it’s connected to all this backlash.

Thankfully, Hyosung is receiving support from people like Shin Jihye, a feminist politician, but it unfortunately doesn’t seem like the hate and harassment is going to abate anytime soon.

There’s not much one can do internationally but send her support and hope for the best, and hopefully she comes out of this fine and can move forward with her career.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also how fucked up are these "men rights activist" using a highly sexualized image of her to both shame and "discredit" her. Any guy who identifies as a MRA doesn't actually care about mens rights or bettering the world but tearing down women and destroying feminism. Facts.

We have problems of our own but I have never seen an MRA truly care about that, their only purpose is to push down women. Men who truly want a better world for both men and women are feminists, the true gender equality movement that isn't just a retaliation to women wanting to be treated as equal human beings

• Not k-fans, women are solidly behind her, is the men who only sexualised her body thinking they gave her a career acting like entitled bitches with small d**ks harassing her on every platform . Korean men are the most misogynistic of the male species

RESIDENT YUNA'S WIFE
    img.gif

APHRODITE OF KPOP: MISS SHIN YUNA

• Everything she said was legitimate…. And because it has become such a tolerant thing, some men are mad. Pathetic.

Nothing she said was problematic, only people who think dating violence is ok would have an issue with it.

Also using her picture of SNL to insinuate she is just trying to get attention is beyond me. Probably implying that she dresses and shows herself like this and than complains about dating violence… you can feel the backwards thinking here… Missed her point completely… toxic masculinity at its finest here. I hope this dies down.

Feminism has such a bad rep in Korea, anything close to it is seen as evil. Pretty sad. She doesn’t deserve this :-(

• This is sickening

This is not just a few stupid comments anymore

How insecure some men in SK are ...unbelievable

So women are supposed to be okay with violence comitted on them ??!!

SK has so many famous criminal cases which has to do with violence comitted on women by men ....so many beaten to death or straight up murdered

But we have to shut up and be sexy I guess huh

• I'm confused, she is advocating for stoping violence agains woman and it's getting cancelled over this?

Yes, Basically.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!