Do you think a kpop gg could actually take off in the west with the current music landscape?

• What concept do you think they will have? 17

1. Girl crush/sisterhood concept (14) 82%
    2. Girlfriend/girl next door concept (2) 12%
    3. Cute/young concept (1) 6%

So many companies are aiming for a western gg. I kinda get that they are cashing in when the spotlight is on them but how profitable will it really be?

I don't think language will be a barrier since there were several non english songs that were hits all over the world and translation sites are aplenty.

Will we see another spice girls kinda gg take over the scene or does the west even have space for another gg? The U.S seems to value individuality and currently the main pop girls and duos dominate the scene.

Again fame is not what it once used to be except for a handful of celebs. The movie star era is most likely over. The size of the celebrity has greatly reduced and the market is saturated as the barrier to entry has reduced. Pop girls do have a leg up due to media play, radio play and big company backing to get them everywhere BUT Tiktokers and social media stars occupy the same space that was exclusively reserved for pop stars amongst the newer generations.

So ig it's unfair to expect the same kind of celebrity that the previous generations had but do you think a gg would work in the west in the current landscape?

Desbundar

• if a gg were to take off in the us it would have to be small an a girl crush/badass concept. So basically BP. I can't see westerners getting into groups larger than 5. And there isnt really an audience for cute concepts. So yeah basically they just gotta try and replicate bp if they want their own. but still as more girl crush groups debut, it'll likely loose its effect and not hit as hard in the west

• I’m sorry none of these groups scream will succeed with these concepts

The reason why bp is an anomaly is because they have 4 individual artists you don’t even need to be a kpop Stan to know their name

They looks like global super star and the not typical kpop gg

Their music is simple they don’t need to do some experimental shit

The girlies are following their concept but can execute the girl crush concept the west doesn’t need copy pasta they need a stand out group

• I actually don't think any of those concepts would fair well for a kpop girl group in the West. When you take a look at popular women in music you see Taylor, Adele Olivia and Billie all who have songs that are not only mellow but have this sense of honesty when it pertains to the topics of which they are about. Of course not all songs are like this as we see with Dua and her song Levitating but I think in order for a girl group to succeed they'll need to leave behind pre packaged concepts and tap into their own personal experiences to connect with people.

• I think if a GG wants to do well in the West ( I mean... better than BP, who is arguably in pretty good shape in the West right ? ) they will have to go for a more relatable, free, creative dynamic.

Western pop stars write their own music, based on their own feelings and experience. They talk freely about gender equality and mental illness. We are not in the 90's anymore, where acts could just ignore the world around them and just be fun and sexy, and make cash.

GG needs to be given more space to express themselves. I'd say a group like Mamamoo, if it was given the right promo and the right songs, is the closest to what a popular group in the west would be like.

• I disagree with the idea that music has to be honest and realistic and talk about serious issues - at least in the U.S. (I don't know about the rest of the west.) The range of artists discussed above is very narrow and specific in genre. When I look across top female artists in the U.S., for every Taylor Swift, there is an Ariana Grande. For every Billie Eilish, a Dua Lipa.

This isn't to shade Dua or Ariana, but I think the range of female artists is much wider than what's being discussed here. Artists like Doja Cat and Camila Cabello are also very successful and they aren't talking about super serious topics either.

That said, "girl power" or female empowerment is a frequent topic for Megan Thee Stallion, Cardi B and Lizzo, who are also very successful female artists, which is why I think a girl crush group can succeed if they have catchy music.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I disagree with the idea that music has to be honest and realistic and talk about serious issues - at least in the U.S. (I don't know about the rest of the west.) The range of artists discussed above is very narrow and specific in genre. When I look across top female artists in the U.S., for every Taylor Swift, there is an Ariana Grande. For every Billie Eilish, a Dua Lipa.

This isn't to shade Dua or Ariana, but I think the range of female artists is much wider than what's being discussed here. Artists like Doja Cat and Camila Cabello are also very successful and they aren't talking about super serious topics either.

That said, "girl power" or female empowerment is a frequent topic for Megan Thee Stallion, Cardi B and Lizzo, who are also very successful female artists, which is why I think a girl crush group can succeed if they have catchy music.

Honestly I think Ariana Grande is the closest of a kpop star that the US has. If that makes any sense.

• What interests me is the market dynamics in the US. We all know that, in Korea, in general, BGs have better sales while GGs have better digitals and brand recognition. But how does it translate to the US? It's not like there's a lot of active American groups to make a comparison. Is a GG going to do well at streaming? Is it going to have good brand recognition? Is it going to sell well? Too many uncertainties.

I agree and I don't think they have to be "real" but they have to "own" it. The "ideal" persona for this in the West is very different than in the East. People here stan "strong" "badass" women, which is contrary to some of the more cutesy group concepts we see in kpop. This is one area where I think Blackpink does very well and why they have stood out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!