Giselle officially apologize on aespa twitter.

• Aespa is sm’s golden goose now especially on the international front so it’s easily deducible why they let her even acknowledge this incident to appease the western crowd while similar controversies from other sm idols in the past got completely ignored lol

• Others saying that other SM artists (like Jaehyn mouthing the n-word while listening to a song) never apologized means SM didn't hold them.

I don't know what SM did or didn't do, but afaik there is no mouthing the n-word controversy that has ever been blown out this way in a matter of one day. As much as I spend time on the internet, the scale and level of this issue is new to me. I always knew saying the n-word was considered offensive BUT mouthing it, is new to me (although I remember kpop fans using some groups mouthing the n-word while dancing as a clapback but no one took that incident seriously so I assumed it wasn't the same).

i think its because she leaned in to say it while the other members immediately stopped :shyy:

so it was kind of shocking

but she apologized :borahae:

bts-jeon-jungkook.gif     bts-jeon-jungkook.gif

tipsy tetetete

• She mouthed it… she was caught in the moment of her favorite Song and just mouthed the whole lyrics, she didn’t even sing it :rolleyes:

Doesn’t sit right with me, in my opinion she did nothing wrong to apologize.

But it’s better like this, now people can stop coming at her. I think the best thing is if non-black Artist don’t play and sing along to a Song of a Black Artist that likes to use that word very often in their Songs. To risky….

• So sm is more sinister than we thought? In order to gain publicity, They some how created this elaborate plan included the most sensitive racial slur as a result to terrorize their artist with extreme hate from backlash. And you telling me any saine companies would do this? You think the benefit would out weight the risk?

Everyone talking about Giselle now and praising her for apologizing.

Im not saying it was a scheme tho just a possibility.

• I like this apology. She actually stated what she was apologising for instead of being vague about it. The way its phrased also makes it clear it is her speaking and not the company speaking on her behalf.

This is a great step in the right direction. The fact that someone from a huge company stepped up and apologized means future cases of this will be less likely to happen. I've seen members from nugu groups apologize but rarely or never from a big 3 company.

I really hope companies will try to sensitise their idols on such issues from now on.

• Everyone talking about Giselle now and praising her for apologizing.

Even if it was a publicity stunt at least it's brought more awareness to this issue. Less and less people will be able to use the "he/she didn't know" excuse.

• She mouthed it… she was caught in the moment of her favorite Song and just mouthed the whole lyrics, she didn’t even sing it :rolleyes:

Doesn’t sit right with me, in my opinion she did nothing wrong to apologize.

But it’s better like this, now people can stop coming at her. I think the best thing is if non-black Artist don’t play and sing along to a Song of a Black Artist that likes to use that word very often in their Songs. To risky….

People make accidental mistakes, sometimes hurting others in the process. Apologizing would be the right thing to do regardless of intention. You bump into someone on accident. You don't intend to hurt anyone, but you should apologize anyway.

With that said, I don't buy the narrative that she did this intentionally to look cool or to hurt anyone. Why would she? What would she gain from it? She's from a group that's trying to make it in the West and from an industry that tries to maximize profit as much as possible. There's no logical incentive for her to do such a thing.

It's an unfortunate slip-up that affected people negatively, no doubt about it. For that, she was right to apologize, but I don't think she's this villain some are making her out to be.

• Ngl, I think it's completely shocking SM allowed an idol of theirs to acknowledge such a controversy. They usually ignore it until it's forgotten.

To me it shows the that they really want to push Aespa and they take no chances of anything going wrong and making the kpop community turn against them. This is how they should be every time but still is the first time they have done it.

Although I am not the one the apology was intended for,I hope people will accept it and not keep it against her in the future. The kpop community tends to be unforgiving at times.

But good job Giselle!

• its actually so nice to see a girl group getting a good budget and almost like the first priority in the company

i can envision them having a big fandom comparable to top boy grps in the future

bts-jeon-jungkook.gif     bts-jeon-jungkook.gif

tipsy tetetete

• its actually so nice to see a girl group getting a good budget and almost like the first priority in the company

i can envision them having a big fandom comparable to top boy grps in the future

It's nice indeed. I have to say, I think they will get even bigger in the future.

• Everyone talking about Giselle now and praising her for apologizing.

OK, I don't think it's a good thing for her. She has a target on her back now. You done it once, people might forgive and overlook. The next time she have any incident related to sensitive issue, she might gone for good. Let's say she might repeat this mistake in the future? You think people will believe her if she offer the apology again? No, happen once, It can be an accident. More than once, it is not an accident anymore, it's a pattern.

• Some of you here are being unnecessarily cynical. There are several SM idols that apologised in the past for things like sexist remarks, homophobia and even culture appropriation. So, I don't know, maybe the others aren't exactly blocked from apologising? Maybe they didn't want to? Or maybe their mistakes didn't cause a big enough controversy for them to even be aware of it like Giselle?

By making this whole thing about the company you a- take away responsibility from idols who did mistakes in the past and didn't apologise and b- dismiss Giselle's integrity and credibility in her apology.

There's 0 logic behind assuming an idol wanted to apologise for offending a group of people and their company didn't allow them.

• People make accidental mistakes, sometimes hurting others in the process. Apologizing would be the right thing to do regardless of intention. You bump into someone on accident. You don't intend to hurt anyone, but you should apologize anyway.

With that said, I don't buy the narrative that she did this intentionally to look cool or to hurt anyone. Why would she? What would she gain from it? She's from a group that's trying to make it in the West and an industry that tries to maximize profit as much as possible. There's no logical incentive for her to do such a thing.

It's an unfortunate slip-up that affected people negatively, no doubt about it. For that, she was right to apologize, but I don't think she's this villain some are making her out to be.

You apologize cause you want to show you had no bad intentions and you don’t want the other get mad.

I know that…

What isn’t sitting right with me and this apology is that people accused her doing it on purpose, that she knew what she was doing and was enjoying it, even calling her racist now she apologized. I’m pretty sure a lot just read she said the n-word and got called out not knowing the context. People really out there thinking this Girl intentionally tried to offend people. This was blown out of proportion.

I don’t even stan Aespa, but I didn’t like how people tried to make her villain by using a sensitive topic ( that affects me too) as a weapon to come at her.

But apologizing is the better step always anyway in most cases.

• No, I agree.

I don't think she's racist and I don't think she did this to evoke an emotional response from anyone, positive or negative. I always saw it as her getting carried away while singing a song she loves.

Anyone is justified in holding her accountable for the slip-up and people are within their right to be hurt by the sight of a non-black person saying it in any context, but I definitely think it's a bit much to make antagonistic assumptions about her character, moral compass, or world views based on this. There really isn't any incentive or ulterior motive for her to say, sing, or mouth the word. It was a slip-up. I don't buy the narrative that she did it intentionally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!