Blackpink, TXT, Twice, and Monsta X are elligible to be nominated as Best New Artist in Grammy?

• Elligible. Doesn't mean they will be nominated, right? But this is cool enough ig :flying:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Elligible. Doesn't mean they will be nominated, right? But this is cool enough ig :flying:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

bp and twice being senior groups...............

but seriously, what is grammys requirments for new artist? Like how is a 5/6 year old group eligible? They aren't new.

• So basically this is how it was explained for Lizzo to win Best New Artist (with a song that came out in 2017).

From Billboard

I would assume that based on this "small independent label" loophole that the Grammys can pick and choose what to accept and that Korean based entertainment companies probably fall into that.

• Sounds like the Grammys are getting desperate since their ratings tanked a lot recently. Hoping to bait some fans into thinking they might get nominated to boost social media engagement and up the interest.

This is what I'm thinking honestly, none of the K-pop groups are making any sort of major moves other than BTS BP and recently TWICE. I'm looking at this article with skepticism especially since moas are already going crazy in the qrts. The american music business isn't gonna give txt the time of day, I'm 99% sure.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Also for what it's worth... the Grammys don't actually care what category you submit for. If they don't want to nominate you, then they won't nominate you in that category and will actually move you if they want. I believe that was an issue for Justin Bieber last year because he submitted his album for Best R&B Album and they moved it to Best Pop Album even though he didn't submit it there.

• none of them will get nominated

Of course they won't, it's an obvious attempt to get kpop fans to rally even more twitter #s for them.

They see blinks every year spamming tags and every year they get no nominations. Kpop fans are so easily manipulated that even the mention of eligibility will make them spam. Desperate attempt to claw back some relevance with international youth music fans since most USA fans don't care about them at all anymore.

• Also for what it's worth... the Grammys don't actually care what category you submit for. If they don't want to nominate you, then they won't nominate you in that category and will actually move you if they want. I believe that was an issue for Justin Bieber last year because he submitted his album for Best R&B Album and they moved it to Best Pop Album even though he didn't submit it there.

Grammys sounds weird.

:eyes:

• none of them will get nominated

You know that's right.

I think all of these groups have American labels (does TXT?) and most labels will literally submit anything and everything they can. None of these labels will put enough money behind the consideration campaigns for these groups to get them nominated and they aren't break out enough to warrant some old record exec to vote for them based on the fact that he remembers hearing their name a lot.

• Sounds like the Grammys are getting desperate since their ratings tanked a lot recently. Hoping to bait some fans into thinking they might get nominated to boost social media engagement and up the interest.

Billboard published the news though, not the Grammys (The recording Academy). And eligibility is eligibility. Lots of people are eligible every year.

• You know that's right.

I think all of these groups have American labels (does TXT?) and most labels will literally submit anything and everything they can. None of these labels will put enough money behind the consideration campaigns for these groups to get them nominated and they aren't break out enough to warrant some old record exec to vote for them based on the fact that he remembers hearing their name a lot.

Yeah they are with Republic

• Grammys sounds weird.

They are. It's all money related. The Recording Academy is biased and petty. They will punish you for not playing ball with them. They screwed The Weeknd over last year and didn't nominate him at all because he chose to perform at the Super Bowl instead of the Grammys (I believe they happened in the same week). He had the biggest pop album in the country by far and they didn't even nominate him.

Now he's refusing to submit for awards and honestly more people should do the same... specifically artists of color and especially women of color.

• They are. It's all money related. The Recording Academy is biased and petty. They will punish you for not playing ball with them. They screwed The Weeknd over last year and didn't nominate him at all because he chose to perform at the Super Bowl instead of the Grammys (I believe they happened in the same week). He had the biggest pop album in the country by far and they didn't even nominate him.

Now he's refusing to submit for awards and honestly more people should do the same... specifically artists of color and especially women of color.

They're so shady ew.... :pepestare:

• well, why call it new artist then?

Because they can't come up with anything better. The actual description is "For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist." which is extremely vague.

It mostly exists imo because as independent and self-published albums because more and more common place and as larger record labels sign these artists and they suddenly break into the public music scene, they want them to be nominated. Basically every time there's buzz about why a person didn't get nominated they change the rules.

Like Lady Gaga caused a rule change because her label wanted her nominated in 2010 because Bad Romance was her big breakthrough, but at the time you couldn't be nominated for Best New Artist if you had been nominated for a Grammy before. She got nominated for either Just Dance or Poker Face in one of the smaller categories before so they got rid of that rule the next year.

• Billboard published the news though, not the Grammys (The recording Academy). And eligibility is eligibility. Lots of people are eligible every year.

It's the grammys that set the criteria for eligibility and this must have changed recently since in years prior TWICE hasn't been eligible.

Convenient that the soft power of Asia is likely the fastest growing in the world and at the same time USA viewership of the show dropped by record highs last year.

Call me a cynic but I'm not so easily took. They want those engagements and kpop twitter is already giving it to them in ways very few, if any, western artist fans ever will and in today's world things like that are more valuable than they are given credit for.

• They are. It's all money related. The Recording Academy is biased and petty. They will punish you for not playing ball with them. They screwed The Weeknd over last year and didn't nominate him at all because he chose to perform at the Super Bowl instead of the Grammys (I believe they happened in the same week). He had the biggest pop album in the country by far and they didn't even nominate him.

Grammy was the award what had controversy about their nominees last year?

They sounds so shady. Wtf. That explains the above comment.

• It's the grammys that set the criteria for eligibility and this must have changed recently since in years prior TWICE hasn't been eligible.

Convenient that the soft power of Asia is likely the fastest growing in the world and at the same time USA viewership of the show dropped by record highs last year.

Call me a cynic but I'm not so easily took. They want those engagements and kpop twitter is already giving it to them in ways very few, if any, western artist fans ever will and in today's world things like that are more valuable than they are given credit for.

Well, they've always had a rule that the song be available commercially in the US. Have Twice actually marketed a song here before? Genuinely asking.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!