Toxic/annoying/hardcore kpop stans: Burdens or the reason of success of kpop

• Let's be honest, kpop has a bad reputation. There are many reasons for that but the main one is annoying/immature/crazy/hardcore kpop stans. The worst thing is that many people think that kpop fans are all the same :cryingr:

So I feel like that without hardcore fans, kpop could be less stereotyped and more popular

But at the same time, maybe without this kind of fans, kpop wouldn't as huge as it is now.

If you think about that... They are the ones who:

- stream like crazy

- bulk buying albums

- spend most of their time on promotion of their faves

- do twitter things

- etc.

• Gaming, sports, movie fans, western pop fans - all have the attributes you mentioned.

Toxic, annoying is more of an individual trait than group imo.

• western musicians literally have these types of fanbases too. justin bieber did, one direction did. and what do they have in common with kpop? they're all perceived to be acts only girls like so they're looked down on. female interests will always be belittled and women treated terrible. sports fans act insane over sports matches too, even literally rioting when their teams lose. literally incite violence. but kpop fans are the bane of everyone's existence? also now all fandoms do that fancam spam bs on twitter so no one complains about it bc its not just a kpop stan thing anymore. and its always like that.

who's your favorite artist?

• Official Post

The Beyhive are crazy too, they stay ready to attack someone. But I agree without extremely dedicated fans buying a bunch of albums, streaming mv, going concerts, buying merch etc kpop groups as well as Western artist would make a lot less money and probably wouldn't reach overseas media as strongly as it has. Which is why companies keep catering and pandering to them and don't try and discourage their behavior. The GP aren't reliable at all, a fandom is an absolute must.

• western musicians literally have these types of fanbases too. justin bieber did, one direction did. and what do they have in common with kpop? they're all perceived to be acts only girls like so they're looked down on. female interests will always be belittled and women treated terrible. sports fans act insane over sports matches too, even literally rioting when their teams lose. literally incite violence. but kpop fans are the bane of everyone's existence? also now all fandoms do that fancam spam bs on twitter so no one complains about it bc its not just a kpop stan thing anymore. and its always like that.

100% agree

I always side eye the idea that women are 'crazy fans'. It happens all the time, the idea of 'hysteric' female fanbase. For music ( boys' bands, kpop ), for books ( Twilight ), for movies...

The truth is that male fans are a lot more likely to physically assault, harm or even kill the person they stan ( John Lenon pretty famous example, but even recently with Christina Grimmie, rip ). But it's fine, and no one talks or generalize about it apparently. One male fan harming an idol is seen as an isolated incident, a woman harming an idol is seen as a proof of a 'toxic' fanbase.

• 100% agree

I always side eye the idea that women are 'crazy fans'. It happens all the time, the idea of 'hysteric' female fanbase. For music ( boys' bands, kpop ), for books ( Twilight ), for movies...

The truth is that male fans are a lot more likely to physically assault, harm or even kill the person they stan ( John Lenon pretty famous example, but even recently with Christina Grimmie, rip ). But it's fine, and no one talks or generalize about it apparently. One male fan harming an idol is seen as an isolated incident, a woman harming an idol is seen as a proof of a 'toxic' fanbase.

FR Say it louder, Just because you're a female stan, you're preseved as a crazy delulu stan, while male stans aren't. The hypocrisey

~Blood stain on my shirt new bitch on my nerves~

The Beatles’ reputation changed drastically because of that, in the beginning when their fan base consisted of mostly girls they were treated like trash, then years later men woke up and realized that they were actually Not That Bad and now they’re apparently musical geniuses

Edited once, last by melma ().

• The Beatles’ reputation changed drastically because of that, in the beginning when their fan base consisted of mostly girls they were treated like trash, then years later men woke up and realized that they were actually Not That Bad and now they’re apparently musical geniuses

So true, and it's happening again with Harry Styles currently. Everyone was shitting on 1D fans for being dumb, tasteless teenagers, but now everyone is hailing him as the new David Bowie or what not.

• So true, and it's happening again with Harry Styles currently. Everyone was shitting on 1D fans for being dumb, tasteless teenagers, but now everyone is hailing him as the new David Bowie or what not.

because he's been pandering to the left

I agree with everything you say.

I hate when people look down on me when I say I like Kpop. Lİke WTF?

• because he's been pandering to the left

Who cares who he has been pandering to.

I'm saying that while he was in 1D, and was seen as 'for teenage girls' he was called talentless, boring, plastic etc... but now suddenly he is the best thing in UK pop since Queen.

Anyway, nothing against Harry Styles tbh, the pattern is just annoying.

• So true, and it's happening again with Harry Styles currently. Everyone was shitting on 1D fans for being dumb, tasteless teenagers, but now everyone is hailing him as the new David Bowie or what not.

I’d say that also partly has to do with him switching genres or at least leaning towards a less pop sound but yeah obviously boy bands are always more directly associated with mindless teenagers

• You can do all that without being toxic.

People don't hate Kpop fans for doing the above, they are hated for dragging other artists unnecessarily, and posting Kpop clips on inappropriate tweets. And worse yet, toxic fans that act like that can also spend $0 on Kpop.

So no, Kpop can benefit from hardcore fans, but no one need toxic fans or people anywhere, not just Kpop

• Discussions like these are so annoying. Sports fans will literally destroy a whole city but being a sports fan is still respected. We know there’s crazy kpop fans but it’s not realistic to think we could get rid of all of them. Also who are trying to earn respect from? Other crazy fanbases? The media that has no respect for others? Kpop fans have been on the news recently for more good then bad and you still haven’t found the respect you’re looking for then all I have to say is good luck Charlie

• It looks great. I am still trying to get 500 akorns. So you got wp for not staying on topic? :wow: Did someone report you?

Yes the reason of success is those hardcore stans.

Wait, someone has to report me for me to get one? I'm coming for you whoever it was, :mads:

and try to spam some threads to get some, and yeah I now have three, my sig is gone :crys:

And ofc with out those hardcore stans, there wouldn't be the kpop there is today

~Blood stain on my shirt new bitch on my nerves~

• The short answer is it's not the fans, it's just a combination of misogyny, but mostly racism/xenophobia. As others have mentioned, the behavior is not unique. People in the west just tend to be more critical of it because of who it's coming from (or at least the perception of it as largely teenager girls which is not necessarily true), and who the object of the obsession is, which is Asian people (mostly Asian men) that are largely seen as a joke not to be taken seriously in mainstream western media.

• Wait, someone has to report me for me to get one? I'm coming for you whoever it was, :mads:

and try to spam some threads to get some, and yeah I now have three, my sig is gone :crys:

And ofc with out those hardcore stans, there wouldn't be the kpop there is today

If mods haven't found out it themselves I guess they would know it if someone reports it, I guess.

Is there any opportunity to get your sig back? :waterr:

But because of hardcore stans kpop is still a joke. :teeheek:

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!