Is '2nd gen having the most GP support' a fact or biasness?

• fact, even mid-tier groups from 2nd gen are mow known in korea than the top sellers of recent generations

They were all doing variety shows constantly and making TV appearances to stay visible in the public eye. Even then only top Tier groups from 2 nd gen to a certain degree are still known and popular now.

Current groups don’t do variety shows or TV appearances majorly compared to previous gen idols. Nowadays the main focus is on building fandom, these groups have their own YouTube channel or Vlive channel to do videos and promote on their own terms while occasionally showing up on TV.

However top sellers of 3rd gen are well known in to the public. Most people would be able to name the top 3 if u asked them even if they didn’t listen to them

• That’s because 2nd gen promoted a lot on tv to stay relevant. Thanks to BTS the kpop market has gotten wider. Now groups can make money without necessarily having to do intense promotions in Korea.

Also a lot of groups are trying to follow the BTS route by not relying a lot on kmedia and promoting more on social media and other international platforms to create a fandom as someone already said. Also the yg scandal didn’t help kpop’s image in the eyes of the gp. I think these are all factors

• They were all doing variety shows constantly and making TV appearances to stay visible in the public eye. Even then only top Tier groups from 2 nd gen to a certain degree are still known and popular now.

Current groups don’t do variety shows or TV appearances majorly compared to previous gen idols. Nowadays the main focus is on building fandom, these groups have their own YouTube channel or Vlive channel to do videos and promote on their own terms while occasionally showing up on TV.

However top sellers of 3rd gen are well known in to the public. Most people would be able to name the top 3 if u asked them even if they didn’t listen to them

When I wrote that comment I didn't have in mind the top 3 groups

it was about top physical sellers like txt, stray kids, got7, nct, seventeen, monsta x, etc that sell very well but lack public recognition compared to older groups that never reached the "top 3" like infinite and block b

• fact, even smaller groups like Rainbow charted pretty well, they even had 3 top 10 songs, now middle groups barely chart and most boy groups barely chart at all

• I think at peak 2nd gen era that 2nd gen groups enjoyed more, broader support of the general public in SK.

Take for example the annual Melon Top 20 of 2009, most of the songs in it are idol songs, and not just of the 2-3 top groups, but of a wide range of top groups and midtier groups.

Also, 2nd gen idols were everywhere on tv in all variety shows, there were even popular shows that were completely built around idols.

The results were not just that SNSD were everywhere, but that also members of groups like Super Junior, Big Bang, 2PM, KARA, T-ARA, BEG and more were wellknown to a larger public.

It also enabled the 2nd gen idols to sharpen and elevate their variety skills with eachother, which in turn made all their events and interactions more entertaining to watch for the public, which led to more love and interest of the general public for idols and their presence requested more in variety shows, which led to them become even better at it and so on.

However, since 3rd gen era and the focus on international success, the companies have deemed it less necessary to appear on Korean tv and variety shows, and there's even less cross group interactions and collaborations on tv, while that used to be the norm in 2nd gen era.

The result is also a different feel to the K-pop scene of 2nd gen era compared with later generations, and not just because it was the first idol oriented Hallyu Wave in 2nd gen era.

If I compare it with superhero movies, 2nd gen era feels more like Infinity War and End Game, where all superheroes show up and interact with eachother, leading to surprising and entertaining combinations, interactions and chemistry. While 3rd gen era and 4th gen era feel more like solo superheroes like Iron Man or Spiderman or Guardians of the Galaxy, where at the most just a small group of superheroes are in it.

Picture a show like Amazing Saturday, but then with only idols from all kinda groups in it that vary from time to time.

And then picture 10 shows like that, filled with idols of all kinda groups.

That's what 2nd gen era was like.

And the (Korean) public loved it.

So when those groups had their comebacks in 2nd gen era, there was also far more attention and interest of Korean news media, but also the Korean general public.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Also, 2nd gen idols were everywhere on tv in all variety shows, there were even popular shows that were completely built around idols.

The results were not just that SNSD were everywhere, but that also members of groups like Super Junior, Big Bang, 2PM, KARA, T-ARA, BEG and more were wellknown to a larger public.

This too. Individually members are generally more popular. For 2nd Gen people can name the members of the group because each member has their own brand name and individuality to it.

Not that I wanna make this about my faves but ima use them since I'm more familiar with them. International fans like to make fun and say how Sistar is just Hyolyn and the girls. Guess what. The member who has the biggest hit is Soyou with her collabs. The member who has the most instagram followers (not the best comparison but still) is Bora (500k more) probably because of her popularity on variety shows. Dasom herself is an actress and acted in multiple drama series. As a group they are widely popular and individually they are also well known. This seem to be the case for many top tier groups and even mid tier groups people know the members.

• Just speculation, but I would guess that with the 2nd generation kpop was a pretty new thing and people was curious about it, liked it and a bit proud about the success of kpop. But after awhile it became branded as "teenage music" and looked down on so the popularity among the general public have declined a bit during the years.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!