Big 3 GG no one has seen outsells 90% of girl groups > Big 3 privilege doesn’t exist

• I was curious about the claimed "90%" figure, so I decided to see if that was true using girl group physical sales figures provided by @halfdavid.

She's compiled data for all groups 2001 to present, and so far she's catalogued the sales numbers for 1122 albums.

Out of those 1122 albums, 268 have sold more than 40000 copies, so that means this JYP "blind package" has better sales than (1122 - 268) ÷ 1122 = 76.11% of them, so not quite 90%.

• we already know about privileges. old story.

anything new to cover? NEXT!!!

Bop

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The privilege isn't new and it's deserving bc people worked day and night to make these companies what they are now.

Is it unfair? I wouldn't say so bc if i had the opportunity to enter such a well established company and make use of their "privilege" i would and I'm sure i wouldn't get this "privilege" free, specially trainees who are known for their exhausting routine (yes, like any other company) so using this metric isn't fair too. This is called real world with competition and big and small companies.

Trying to use of others hard work to dismiss their hard work doesn't make sense to me either. Bc they (the companies which includes CEO, executives, directors, staff, etc) are this big thanks to their hard work, right?

• The privilege isn't new and it's deserving bc people worked day and night to make these companies what they are now.

Is it unfair? I wouldn't say so bc if i had the opportunity to enter such a well established company and make use of their "privilege" i would and I'm sure i wouldn't get this "privilege" free, specially trainees who are known for their exhausting routine (yes, like any other company) so using this metric isn't fair too. This is called real world with competition and big and small companies.

Trying to use of others hard work to dismiss their hard work doesn't make sense to me either. Bc they (the companies which includes CEO, executives, directors, staff, etc) are this big thanks to their hard work, right?

You’re right that’s life (& how the competition goes in every field), but still the other side has a point too. Everybody works hard, but only because one did the right thing at the right time in a certain period / era, they get all the rewards „forever“, while some work the same amount but never get a fraction of that success… Privilege makes it easier from then on.

• You’re right that’s life (& how the competition goes in every field), but still the other side has a point too. Everybody works hard, but only because one did the right thing at the right time in a certain period / era, they get all the rewards „forever“, while some work the same amount but never get a fraction of that success… Privilege makes it easier from then on.

I know the other side too, but I won't put a "right/wrong" situation here when all these big 3 companies were also small at one point and after working like any other person and just working hard they got their opportunity to rise and they did.

Some people forgot that big 3 mainly rised with 1 group being famous and some small companies had 1 group being famous and didn't know how to make it bigger so it's more their fault than "blaming" the big3 privilege for existing.

It's strategy, luck and some others factors and if you (in general) don't know how to manage your company then it's all in your fault.

• I’ll never understand why people use company privilege as some sort of shade, please apply that logic to the real world see how stupid it is. Imagine telling someone “how dare you work really hard to try and get into the more successful, wealthier companies that have better training, better pay, more benefits and far more job security.” Makes no sense. I’m not saying that big 3 have more talented people but let’s not dismiss how difficult it is to get into a big 3 company (the same way it’s difficult to get a job in the big companies in the real world) and if you’ve managed to get through that process, you should enjoy all the benefits that come with it because you deserve it for the hard work you’ve put in to get there.

It is unfair that other talented idols don’t get that same privilege but unfortunately that’s life.

• You’re right that’s life (& how the competition goes in every field), but still the other side has a point too. Everybody works hard, but only because one did the right thing at the right time in a certain period / era, they get all the rewards „forever“, while some work the same amount but never get a fraction of that success… Privilege makes it easier from then on.

to expound on your point, the competition to get to debut in big 3 companies is definitely a lot more gruesome than in smaller ones since there are simply many more hopeful trainees fighting for the same spot. However, this “competition” isn’t a battle of hard work and/or skills only. A huge criteria for these companies is agreeable visuals, and an outgoing personality is also an important trait, and then some companies look for certain vibes from their trainees to fit those companies’ image. None of these criteria depend on hard work or talents, so the competition to debut in big 3 doesn’t rest solely on “who works harder than who”/“who deserves to benefit from big 3 privilege more”. Physical attributes from birth as well as luck play a huge role as well

Is it really deserved though? I mean, sure JYPE released quality material through their previous girl groups. But we're not talking about Twice or ITZY. This time it's about JYPE's new gg which we know nothing about so far. JYPE said and showed nothing in terms of members, concept, music, etc. Yet they give us the possibility to purchase right now an album of a group we know nothing about, an album that won't release until Feb 2022. It's basically like a crowdfunding project but even worse (since such projects usually have to explain their deal in great detail to garner trust and attention). Despite this, 40k people said "ok we buy this shit".

So it is textbook big3 privilege. These girls that we don't know already sold 40k copies of an album they might have not recorded yet! Such results are not because of their hardwork but because of their seniors' hardwork. Sure, they trained like crazy to enter JYPE and become a member of this new gg but still, they haven't shown and proven anything to us the audience.

Anyway, with that being said, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I might even purchase a copy for myself! But it's undeniable only a big company could get away with such a marketing idea, and even make it work.

• People are buying it because of JYP's brand that's obvious, and many of them only bought so they can resell later for a bigger price.

Truth is big 4 companies are already a established brand just like apple, people that like their content will be open to anything they put out so yeah, if any other big 4 company did that it would outsell the majority of other kpop groups.

That's similar to preorders, people don't even know the content they're gonna get and buy anyway. Sometimes it leads to big regret, you can see it all the time with gamers, Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Is it really deserved though? I mean, sure JYPE released quality material though their previous girl groups. But we're not talking about Twice or ITZY. This time it's about JYPE's new gg which we know nothing about so far. JYPE said and showed nothing in terms of members, concept, music, etc. Yet they give us the possibility to purchase right now an album of a group we know nothing about, an album that won't release until Feb 2022. It's basically like a crowdfunding project but even worse (since such projects usually have to explain their deal in great detail to garner trust and attention). Despite this, 40k people said "ok we buy this shit".

So it is textbook big3 privilege. These girls that we don't know already sold 40k copies of an album they might have not recorded yet! Such results are not because of their hardwork but because of their seniors' hardwork. Sure, they trained like crazy to enter JYPE and become a member of this new gg but still, they haven't shown and proven anything to us the audience.

Anyway, with that being said, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I might even purchase a copy for myself! But it's undeniable only a big company could get away with such a marketing idea, and even make it work.

It's deserved in the sense of: they are debuting which makes me think that they trained like any other person and now they will enjoy the so called privilege.

People buying the album are doing bc they want and here enters the company. The company made a great work at marketing their groups and made a "trust strategy" with their consumers so this isn't new neither won't make me question these girls abilities, hard work and talent just bc i live in a fairy tale where "my faves should be also getting this privilege"...

This is the real world and for this reason I won't talk about a company privilege where if they are debuting it's bc they already proved themselves for their company. (I'm taking in general here).

And yes, i also prefer to wait for official teasers to decide something, but marketing is important bc of this. Situations like these show how "smart" the company was to make such blind package into a "trust our team" project.

• Is it organic though? :pepe-smug:

• Privilege does not come from vacuum but arises from reputation.

Once a company, an individual - any entity has a track record of good deliveries, it becomes a brand and there is implicit trust towards the brand and hence such blind investments are made.

Also in Kpop - quality of the product rather comes lower down the list for 'fans', a large section of them are merely indulging in the joy of belonging to a cult.

That is not just in Kpop, many entertainment, sports and politics, revolve around leveraging that need.

This trend constantly seeks new 'cults-fandom' to join, new 'idols' to obsess over.

And then there is always human attraction to the unknown and unavailable.

JYP has leveraged into all these and played this hand. It is a good strategy, but eventually if the group is lacking substance, it will have a larger backlash.

And neither can these mystery-anticipation strategy used too often.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!