(Poll) Are You Tired of "Mature" Concepts?

• Are You tired Of Mature Concepts? 27

1. Depends on the group (15) 56%
    2. No (13) 48%
    3. Yes (1) 4%

I get it: You're grown and sexy, you don't need no man, you ain't doing cutesy stuff anymore, we get it, now move on.

I feel like girl groups hit a wall creatively, and sometimes, careerwise, once they hit the dreaded "mature concept".

I feel like the possibilities are endless for boy groups but for GGs, it's downhill after a few years on the market. Why don't record labels put the same love creatively into their GGs like they do with the BGs?

I feel a LOT of GGs are capable of SO much more than what they are given. It might be a cultural thing?

Who knows? But I say it's time to take the gloves off and let some of these GGs reach their full potential.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• If I think about girl groups who went mature after an initial cutesy or innocent period like Twice, Gfriend, Apink, Girl's Day or Laboum, none of them followed the same road and their concept became more mature but they didn't loose their initial identity.

I agree with the idea that becoming mature doesn't necessary means pulling a sexy or "badass" concept but it's far to be like that for every girl group out there.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• Sure there are groups with stellar mature concepts but why don't they show a girl getting a degree or being a ceo/president in mature concepts? Coming of age rarely ever is all about sex. Being mature shouldn't just be pigeonholed to being sexy. Women can be so much more. Kpop can make anything look interesting so I wonder why they keep sticking to the sex sells strategy.

After reading about ex gg members who were scarred for life after "sexy" concepts. Lot of non-consent, coercion and trauma went on behind behind the scenes. It sometimes makes me a lil uncomfortable at how objectified the girls look in their old mvs. It's sold as empowering, bold and oh sticking it to conservative sk society while simeoultaneously exploiting the very girls they are using as a poster child. There's nothing revolutionary about being sexy. Nothing. It's been done for centuries it isn't new just a rebranded gimmick to cater to pervs and the weird capitalistic mess that feminism has become these days.

Desbundar

• i totally (respectfully) disagree with your assessment OP. to my ears GGs have much more diversified and evolving discography than BGs (who i've noticed other than big groups like EXO, BTS, etc. tend to re-release the same song in different fonts a million times and always stick to the same concept)

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• This is so weird, just 1-2 weeks ago I swear there was a popular discussion thread here that was all about how there is hardly any mature or sexy concepts around, being done by ggs, and that Mamamoo and Red Velvet were the only ones seriously doing mature concepts :/

How did that change in 1 week to this discussion, that apparently mature concepts are so abundant that people are getting sick and tired of it? :whatr:

I agreed somewhat with that former discussion thread, that mature and sexy concepts are rare and hardly being used - although I wouldn't restrict RV's concept to just 'mature', basically they're dabbling into all kinda possible concepts like many SM groups did and do, incl the gg's. But RV did start off with Be Natural and Automatic practically immediately after their debut, which I'd say are more mature/R&B concepts without them being girl crush.

As for concept popularity, I still think that girl crush/teen crush and cute are the dominant, main popular concepts that are used by girl groups.

So I don't see the abundance of mature concepts being used yet.

But maybe OP's thread is more a complaint about how some girl groups that are known for the extreme side of cute concepts, won't stick to that overtly sweet cute concepts after having done that for years?

If those gg's concepts they do after abandoning the 100% cute concept brand aren't that creative or original, then that's not their fault but the fault of their company's or management team's lack of imagination.

I mean, there's enough great alternative concepts to both the cute as the girl crush concepts around, for anyone to see. But then again, I've followed girl groups like SNSD, T-ARA and Red Velvet, and each group alone already had a great variety in interesting and diverse concepts and styles in their discography :wellr:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Oh no, I loathe the cute concept as well. Idk, I just wish GGs would start doing, idk, actually concepts :wellr:

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• i totally (respectfully) disagree with your assessment OP. to my ears GGs have much more diversified and evolving discography than BGs (who i've noticed other than big groups like EXO, BTS, etc. tend to re-release the same song in different fonts a million times and always stick to the same concept)

Well, you're not exactly lying :boredr:

• Sure there are groups with stellar mature concepts but why don't they show a girl getting a degree or being a ceo/president in mature concepts? Coming of age rarely ever is all about sex. Being mature shouldn't just be pigeonholed to being sexy. Women can be so much more. Kpop can make anything look interesting so I wonder why they keep sticking to the sex sells strategy.

After reading about ex gg members who were scarred for life after "sexy" concepts. Lot of non-consent, coercion and trauma went on behind behind the scenes. It sometimes makes me a lil uncomfortable at how objectified the girls look in their old mvs. It's sold as empowering, bold and oh sticking it to conservative sk society while simeoultaneously exploiting the very girls they are using as a poster child. There's nothing revolutionary about being sexy. Nothing. It's been done for centuries it isn't new just a rebranded gimmick to cater to pervs and the weird capitalistic mess that feminism has become these days.

What a response! If only there was a 5x react option :cryingr:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!