Kpop fans need to stop being obsess about chart

• Whenever a thread like this is created, the obsessed people say something along the lines of "well, if your faves were doing as well as mine, you would also be obsessed."

not really Uaena (IU fandom) for example got a lot of new fans recently especially ifans

and i never see any fans whined when IU had some competition, because her fans aren't obsess with chart and are mature

it's not about favs doing well or not, but being mature and classy, and not a whiny cry baby because things don't go in your way

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Obsession with charts isn't healthy. I don't know how people are able to enjoy a comeback when they are stressed out with mass streaming the song. I get it's rewarding when it goes well (I was happy seeing Celebrity PAKing because it was my first comeback), but it's also stressing when it doesn't (losing PAKs due to Genie was frustrasting). It was interesting as a one-time experience, but I never want to do it again. I never mass streamed, but worrying about the charts was stressing enough. As soon as I saw it had lost steam I stopped caring about it. For Lilac idgaf about PAKs.

In my opinion it takes the joy out of it. You should be vibing to the song at a comeback, not being worried about numbers. Music was made to be enjoyed, not to be bragged about. It's fine to be happy when the song is doing well, but you shouldn't feel bad or frustrated when it doesn't.

What I find the worst is when people use charting as a measure of song quality or to discredit other songs. That's why so many people are obsessed about it.

• i think chart obssesion becomes bad when it gets to the point where a whole fandom starts a hate campaign on whatever artists are threatening their faves on the charts at that time, like you're seriously gonna try and ruin careers just to see your faves #1?? at that point they don't deserve it if it takes dirty tricks from the fans to get it

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• it's even more lame because 99% of the ifans who brag about it had literally nothing to do with said success because they don't have access to Korean streaming apps.

And then these same people bragging about chart success will will turn around and hate on the same k-fans who got them #1 when their faves don't do as well as they think they should.

• not really Uaena (IU fandom) for example got a lot of new fans recently especially ifans

and i never see any fans whined when IU had some competition, because her fans aren't obsess with chart and are mature

it's not about favs doing well or not, but being mature and classy, and not a whiny cry baby because things don't go in your way

Most of our fandom is very chill about charting and mass streaming. The large majority of us just wants to enjoy the comeback in our own way. There was actually a fight on Twitter because newer fans wanted us to mass stream Celebrity and older fans didn't want to be bothered.

There's even an inside joke about it in IUcord. Someone joined and called us useless for not having any plan and that we should stream, buy the song, trend hashtags and have a goal. Then someone answered "we just chill here".

• Valid post. Even within charts, there is highly idiotic data-slicing/dicing to somehow get a high.

Take for example 'fastest', an utterly useless parameter - if BTS or IU accidentally release a recording of them coughing or gargling, it might still end up climbing the chart fastest or something. This is not some track and field athletic event.. to bother about being the fastest hah..

Even PAKs based on hourly/daily/weekly aren't that reliable indicator, at least not by hitting it once, which could be purely circumstantial,

ULs are a far better indicator and longevity - both are far better correlations to actual sales. Charts do provide that information, not during the mad-rush around release, but eventually.

At least the artists seem to be well aware of what matters and the mature ones do say that they are far prefer longevity.

Weeks at top #100, for how long since the release date, that top 100 ranking is maintained is perhaps the best quantitative indicator.

With most fields, the flash in the pan onetime top ranking and then never heard of - people and products are all too common.

Still charts play the game to feed the emotional frenzy of shallow fandom.

I have stopped checking any release which is not at least a month old.

• back in the days....

Lol

No but for real, a few years ago stuff was highest on charts cause the music mattered, so the chances were fair out there

But now it doesn't matter anymore, if your name is bts you poop gold

• Official Post

Dude, revived! It was only newly buried though.

There nothing wrong with liking charts. There are many people that like to analyze them for what they can glean from them. While charts are not the be-all-end-all, nor should they be, there are interesting trends and informed conclusions that can be taken from them, like all statistics. It is human to analyze. IMO it only becomes a detriment when charts become a fixation. Like all forms of anxiety, some can be healthy, but when it crosses over into the area of obsession, it can become a real impairment.

HOWEVER, This is true for many aspects of kpop, not just charts. Some obsess over vocal prowess/technique, brand endorsements, instagram/spotify followers, youtube views, etc. Anything and everything that can be compared will be and it all becomes detrimental when it becomes an obsession. Charts are just easy to point to because it's a lot less complex and subjective than some other obsessions, thus easier for people to follow. In itself, it already takes some stats and boils them down into digestible chucks for viewers, but it's by far not the greater issue here. The obsession is.

TL;DR: Zeroing in on just chart obsession is kind missing the big picture.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!