Back When BTS Was Nugu, What Did People Say About Them?

• don't know them when they were nugu but i only saw them while watching a red velvet fancam and listened to their music.

just watch those videos. you'll learn a lot on their real hardships and downplaying. legit nugu-ness.

they are not nugu now but the important take away here is that they were not pushed anywhere. there was demand for them.

people who are not even fans (as you can see some/few responses) in this thread still downplay them to this day.

• I don't come close to crying a lot, but this made me so close to crying. Don't worry I am not balling my eyes out

• You just had to phrase it has "brainwashing"

My dude no one is doing that over a kpop group? Sure there might be some false narratives that spread online cause it's the internet, but "brainwashing"? Really?

It's very prominent now too, like your feeling sleepy rn

TXT are flops, unstan them now

tenor.gif

• So I have known BTS since their predebut and it wasn’t really nice how people treated them but what I have witnessed:

A lot of guys (like in male) liked bts, some people clowned them for not being visually attractive (like in not idol concept), “nugu“

A lot of people praised their hip hop style and rap styles, “they cannot sing, they can only rap“, “bigbang knock-off“, that whole exo school concept problem, good choreos, different concepts, they were popular in the hip hop section of Kpop, a lot of people clowned their name (even in shows - how the tables have turned)

• I can only tell what I've seen. From 2016 to 2020, things have changed a lot. There was more talk about their music, hard choreos and artistry than their success, even though BTS achievements were impressive back then as well. They were belittled for being "nobodies" in Korea despite being the biggest group internationally. There were a lot of multi ARMYs back then who actually listened to nugu groups. For some reason, they were kinda disliked by the kpop community. Once again, I'm only telling stuff ik from 2016. As for anything that happened before that, I think you can ask other fans.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

27dbe724372b809813a823b7367393edb58cad57.gifv

• I was on OH and 2 other forums when they first debuted. At the time people were excited for an all hip-hop group similar to Big Bang's old debut days. They had dedicated fans and honestly non-fans just treated them like any other group you don't stan. We didn't hate on them or anything.

The only time we started mentioning BTS as they got more popular was the "ARMY HERE" under random YouTube video meme. Like there was a time when you could be watching a Minecraft or Cooking video and there would always be an "ARMY HERE. SO AND SO MEMBER LOVES PASTA" comment lol.

But otherwise BTS was seen as promising!

~ ω

• These 2 video sum up at least 70%

The owner of the youtube channel did a great job.

Some things that boldly need to mention...

1. The black oceans on 2016. On The mv of We are bulletproof: The eternal, the black ocean that was trying to gallop Kookie was the reference of that.

2. The Middle Fingers when BTS won Daesangs on 2016.

3. Mocking BTS because the TV stations or Award shows didn't give them waiting room & they had to get ready & wait beside bathrooms unlike others.

4. Mocking BTS cs they had to wear replica. BTS didn't have any successful senior like other kpop groups whose money would have invested on them, siver spooning them like others.

But thanks to their hardship they earned those luxarious clothes by their own money. Unlike The fandoms who mocked them whose fav had the luxarious clothes at beginning by their senior's money.

An inspiration

SAVE_20210511_220736.jpeg

Last but not the least,The tight slap BTS hits on the mf industry's face...

Take a look at mirrorHD! #Mi Video (

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    )

• I would say at first, Kfans didn't care at all about them but ifans were interested to check out BTS because they had some members who were active predebut, especially RM. Initial ifan reaction to their music was positive. But most ifan and k-communities had no real interest in them until 2014, when they started to show the potential of how big they could get. That's when the shit started, especially by the end of 2014 (the Bobby "diss" issue was a big talking point for weeks for both ifans and kfans)

By 2015, it was a full on hate train toward them in both K and I-fan communities. Rumors, trumped up charges of misogyny, plagiarism, sajaegi etc etc were thrown at them constantly. Back then they tried to bring them down with any stupid thing.

On the English speaking side, I would suggest reading old threads on r/kpop or omona or onehallyu if you really want to research the topic from the source. I think sites like Asian Junkie didn't even start to acknowledge their presence until like 2015

ETA: I wanted to edit and say that in 2013, the majority of the issues BTS/RM was having was with the hiphop community. Korean idol fans didn't care about them until 2014 for the most part

• bts was the ifan nugu fav and the kfan punching bag. most international fans hyped them up and they were pretty much the equivalent of an ateez or stray kids today. on the kside they were often ridiculed for their looks and their group name. people were so unbelieving of their international hype that their sales were called sajaegi. anyway ifans only turned on them when they became a real threat to groups like exo and big bang.

who's your favorite artist?

• I stanned them in 2016 a little before Wings era, so I'm not aware of what happened before apart from what other people who stanned earlier said.

But they were very dragged when I got into them, even through they were already rising in popularity. Especially their music and domestic popularity-wise.

When I got interested in knowing K-pop, no one wanted to recommend me their music, they used to say for me to keep distance. I had to search myself and fell in love with 'Dope', 'Fire' and 'Save Me' until I go to their discography.

They used to be dragged for their international growing of popularity. No one took their numbers seriously. YouTube numbers? Spotify numbers? Charting on B200? Social Media power? They laughed at it, because BTS didn't have a hit with more than 1M dls on Gaon until 2017 when BS&T reached the mark. Most of people thought they would be in the shadow of other boygroups domestic wise only having some few mid okay "hits" and only be popular outside Korea selling some physicals, If they were lucky. And back in 2016, popularity outside Asia wasn't a big deal for K-pop fans (They still understimate it, but it was worse), because apart from PSY, no one had expressive numbers on western plataforms. How could BTS? Impossible.

I fought with SO MAAAANY people back then to prove they would be big someday and that they shouldn't understimate their international numbers. Guess I was right...

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!