X factor that makes the fandom growth

• Which is the most important? 25

1. Constant content release (11) 44%
    2. Building up anticipation for their release (7) 28%
    3. other reason (7) 28%

We saw relevant examples like BTS who builds massive fandom with constant release. On the other hand, we also saw YG common practice of BP by creating a buzz before music release. Which one is having more significant impact that drives the fandom growth? Or do you guys have another reason?

• Well imo bp wasn’t made to have a big fandom. They were made for hits on the charts and influence on social media and fashion. They could’ve ended up with the same fandom size in Korea and internationally you’d never know really.. but putting out content is the most imp bc it allows you to build real connection with your audience, and that’s imo what made bts popular having a loyal fandom who connects with you emotionally.. and in general I feel like bgs do that better than ggs they have the ability to open up and form connections faster and easier

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• I think building anticipation works only when the groups have build a good brand of their own.

For eg. Blackpink, bigbang, bts

Nope I think one of the mistakes I see from time to time again is not building up any anticipation for the release. Imo, it more necessary for group who haven't hit big. If you don't build anticipation, your release can fly under the radar. Can't say the same for the likes of BP,BTS, BIGBANG that you name it ; their fans already hanging on social media waiting for new material.

• Both can be... For example I think NCT's constant content release is working really well in maintaining their fandom and new fans entertained and well-fed in between releases, but in the case of Red Velvet the more we wait for their comeback the more exciting and hyped up it will be.

I think building anticipation works only when the groups have build a good brand of their own.

For eg. Blackpink, bigbang, bts

True. It wouldn't work for nugu groups.

• it really depend on the group

since NCT open their nct daily channel and upload a lot of content weekly their popularity keep growing really fast

meanwhile for Red Velvet, the most we wait the more we are excited after 1 year without any comeback

Yes true for NCT it worked wonders for them

Can't say the same for RV. IF SM released more contents for RV during their rookies days, we probably can saw a stronger fanbase more than they have now.

• Nope I think one of the mistakes I see from time to time again is not building up any anticipation for the release. Imo, it more necessary for group who haven't hit big. If you don't build anticipation, your release can fly under the radar. Can't say the same for the likes of BP,BTS, BIGBANG that you name it ; their fans already hanging on social media waiting for new material.

I still think bigger the brand, stronger the fandom.

Groups need to release more content to keep their fandom intrested. Unless they make a good brand, I don't think building up anticipation will work. Unless the fans are assured that the group will give them what they like, there is a huge chance they will loose interst in the middle.

Meanwhile, the groups i mentioned can go on without releasing much content but still do good because of assured high quality music and content during releases.

Ofcourse these fans can get frustrated too. But they are also more willing to wait.

• honestly depends on the target group, image and marketing strategies. A lot of groups don't appeal to the same type of people so there is no definitive answer on what works best. Also depends on the image, idol groups with the next door friend image tend to release a lot more since you're supposed to be able to have a relationship to them and be able to relate to them. The next door friend image is more commonly used by agencies because it's a less risky endeavour.

• honestly depends on the target group, image and marketing strategies. A lot of groups don't appeal to the same type of people so there is no definitive answer on what works best. Also depends on the image, idol groups with the next door friend image tend to release a lot more since you're supposed to be able to have a relationship to them and be able to relate to them. The next door friend image is more commonly used by agencies because it's a less risky endeavour.

Yeah constant release is safer choice to make stable fanbase. But I think no matter the group directions is building anticipation also matters. Usually excitement is built up over time and it will keep the fanbase to get excited about something. I mean like proper launch plan rather just put something as soon as its ready. Isn't that quite important?

• Yeah constant release is safer choice to make stable fanbase. But I think no matter the group directions is building anticipation also matters. Usually excitement is built up over time and it will keep the fanbase to get excited about something. I mean like proper launch plan rather just put something as soon as its ready. Isn't that quite important?

anticipation definitely matters, in my opinion it's better to have a good balance of the two. Taking ages to put something out can kill a group in a fast moving industry like Kpop while putting out too much at once will cause certain songs/album/tracks to never reach it's full potential and cannibalize each other.

• BTS releases music almost as much as other Kpop groups though, lol. So that isn't a reason. If only frequent releases made you successful then companies would churn out new music every month.

• anticipation definitely matters, in my opinion it's better to have a good balance of the two. Taking ages to put something out can kill a group in a fast moving industry like Kpop while putting out too much at once will cause certain songs/album/tracks to never reach it's full potential and cannibalize each other.

Sadly not many companies can get this right :cryingr:

• Depends entirely on how big the group is, if the group is nugu then releasing very few music and spacing out the releases too much won't make people anticipate it more, but if the group is big then it could help create hype.

• Official Post

If people come to expect that your music will be worth the time to listen and watch then that will automatically build anticipation for your releases. Whether it's being known for dropping excellent music, choreography, music videos, high quality concepts... it also leads to repeated listening/viewing.

But while that will get you lots of casual fans, the way you really build solid fan growth in my experience is with the additional content. One of the draws of kpop is connecting with the idols and being entertained by them on a separate level from just music.

I feel like it's not a coincidence that three of the biggest boy groups right now BTS, Seventeen, and NCT all continually release high quality variety content in the form of Run BTS!, Going Seventeen, and NCT's varied YouTube content. All are easily accessible to international fans are they are always released with English subtitles (or in NCT's case sometimes fully in English period) and best of all they are 100% free and mostly available on YouTube. I feel like this is also why BigHit/HYBE and YG made the decision to create similar shows for TXT and Treasure.

It doesn't even have to be high quality production work though. Bang Chan from Stray Kids has created his own regular content by just going on Vlive and interacting with fans there every week. I've seen so many Stays talk about how Chan's Room has connected them to Stray Kids. The fact that Chan immediately interact with fans in both English and Korean is again a huge attractor for international fans because they can be engaged.

For me those types of content really solidify that fanbase that's planted. It keeps fans engaged with their faves between album releases. It also helps foster camaraderie between fans. Just like how people love to conversate about movies or TV shows, we love to talk about and share our favorite moments of the latest episode of our fave's show.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!