Why do kpop fans think that what chinese idols are doing is solely because of ccp pressure

• There might be some truth to it but the reality is most of those chinese idols don't really care about the morals set by west and about what rest of the world thinks. They are earning loads of money and living a lavish lifestyle. that's what matters most, they couldn't care less about others

• You don't understand

they cut ties with one or another western company - they lose money

but if they would stay with this foreign company as ambassadors then after a week or two Idols would be banned by Chinese state regulators, and they wouldn't be ever able to perform, as well as sell songs/albums. They would be treated as criminals. And yeah their families will be pressed...

not to mention that if they would try to flee to another country Chinese government would either stop them and jail them or at least block their bank accounts. Which means all those years of hard work would end as them being broken.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Its one thing to just drop a company, maybe I could somehow understand that the decision is difficult but these statements they've been putting out just make me so uncomfortable.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

To the people asking why... Both sides of this argument (as most arguments are apt to go) contain rather broad assumptions that paint the situation as black and white. Is a situation like this ever completely black or white? I'll let history cast its doubts. This by the way is not an opinion either for or against, just written in the spirit of understanding that we really don't know everything. The issue is a contentious one, so it's appreciated if we can keep this civil.

• Even worst is some of the actually believe what they say. That's the worstest(if it's a word).

Like for money or by fear supporting them is one thing but actually believing there is nothing wrong done by their government and whatever they are doing is for greater good and write those statements is next level.

• Even worst is some of the actually believe what they say. That's the worstest(if it's a word).

Like for money or by fear supporting them is one thing but actually believing there is nothing wrong done by their government and whatever they are doing is for greater good and write those statements is next level.

Yes, and have you thought as to why they believe that? Let's not pretend China doesn't block a huge amount of information, or spread large amounts of propaganda. It's not unlikely really. Sad, frustrating, cruel, but not unlikely.

• Because China historically has been an authoritarian state that has blacklisted artists and persecuted them and their families.

Look, these companies don't need the artists, they can find other spokespeople. You think it hurts Adidas if Jackson Wang won't model for them? Nah. You think Nike cares if a certain star refuses them? No. These companies are big enough that they'll find ways to promote regardless. The only thing accomplished by these idols stepping down is that they lose money, and they appease the Chinese state, which doesn't like it when people admit they're committing genocide.

• Yes, and have you thought as to why they believe that? Let's not pretend China doesn't block a huge amount of information, or spread large amounts of propaganda. It's not unlikely really. Sad, frustrating, cruel, but not unlikely.

But these celebs have access to outside media. I am not just talking about celebs, even international students from China believe that. they are simply not ready for that discussion.

The effect of propaganda is too strong.

• Yes, and have you thought as to why they believe that? Let's not pretend China doesn't block a huge amount of information, or spread large amounts of propaganda. It's not unlikely really. Sad, frustrating, cruel, but not unlikely.

Still not enough, especially Jackson/Kuanlin/etc who grew up without propaganda.

Nonetheless, I have as much sympathy for them as I would a Nazi during the Holocaust, one can play the “they grew up that way and didn’t have a choice but to follow the regime” card for them as well. Regardless, they’re doing horrible shit.

• It's either they're being pressured, or they actually buy the bullshit Chinese propaganda. I can see why people would want to believe the better of their idols. I'm still uncomfortable with them actually going the extra mile and posting pro- Chinese messages, but they're not my faves, so whatever. I feel bad for their fans, though.

• I think a good portion of them along with the average Chinese truly believe their country is doing nothing wrong. Uyghur is of different religion, language and ethnicity there is little to sympathize with. People fear Islam and think the re-education camps( which as far as I know the only thing China admits to) are justified for a better life for future generations. No Muslim country is advocating for the Uyghurs, it’s all the “evil” west who wants to control China and hinder its growth and power. Throw BLM into the mix to show that the almighty west dismissing their own problems with minorities and you got yourself a good argument that your average Chinese won’t go against

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• That may be true but from what we all heard about China all these years - it’s also possible they could face other consequences beside money

They could be doing it for both. It’s extreme to think it’s only for money and they are just greedy, but it’s also extreme to think they only doing it because of cpp pressure. They could be doing it for self-preservation which entails both side of the argument.

Third, the media or POV of these events may be relay differently in China. The government there may be selling them a different story. Every countries deployed various degree of propaganda. For all we know they may believe that this whole thing is western propaganda.

• I think a good portion of them along with the average Chinese truly believe their country is doing nothing wrong. Uyghur is of different religion, language and ethnicity there is little to sympathize with. People fear Islam and think the re-education camps( which as far as I know the only thing China admits to) are justified for a better life for future generations. No Muslim country is advocating for the Uyghurs, it’s all the “evil” west who wants to control China and hinder its growth and power. Throw BLM into the mix to show that the almighty west dismissing their own problems with minorities and you got yourself a good argument that your average Chinese won’t go against

Re-education camps? No one accused them of that, they were accused of internment camps which they originally denied having done ANYTHING to the uighurs but when photos of the camps from atop were taken they counldnt deny it anmire and practically the told a white lie, saying that it’s re-education camp after the fact they couldn’t deny the camps anymore. They’re committing genocide not reeducating them, there’s a reason reporters are chased away from the real camps, not to mention china said that people are choosing to go to the camps, like please adults are so going to a camp to sing chinese pride songs, learn mandarin and dance to chinese folk songs.

• No I don’t have any such notion.

Tbh if you still wanna support just do it. No judgement from me. I don’t particularly care if people like art from problematic artists.

But ffs don’t paint the picture that they are innocent and don’t know better. People are bigoted. There is so much bigotry in this world and that’s why it’s such a shitty please. You trying to “prove” it doesn’t exist is doing more harm than good.

This BTW is regardless of whether you believe that China is committing human rights violation or not.

• Re-education camps? No one accused them of that, they were accused of internment camps which they originally denied having done ANYTHING to the uighurs but when photos of the camps from atop were taken they counldnt deny it anmire and practically the told a white lie, saying that it’s re-education camp after the fact they couldn’t deny the camps anymore. They’re committing genocide not reeducating them, there’s a reason reporters are chased away from the real camps, not to mention china said that people are choosing to go to the camps, like please adults are so going to a camp to sing chinese pride songs, learn mandarin and dance to chinese folk songs.

You’d be surprised of how much people will believe in their country and country’s leaders. Example: khashoggi‘s case in Saudi arabia

Your average ggs enthusiast...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!