Is Kpop fading away in the west?

• i think in the US atleast its not dead but not as popular as some may think.

Trends come and go so fast these days and in the west kpop is just another trend to many. Like when Perfect Night was going off LSF was getting a lot of attention even my friends were talking about them. Same with when newjeans did GODS and performed at LoL worlds.

• Kpop rise in west due to phenomena of big fandom, not because of the music itself. It's still there, but people other than the fans just doesn't really care with the hype anymore. I think mostly because it's in Korean, not many people will tune in with the lyrics they don't even understand..

• It is fading a bit. I believe it will revive when BTS returns. It doesnt look like BP as a group has anything coming down the pipeline (unless its a big secret) to pump things up at this time.

:send-love-bunny:

this is the correct answer. Also, there is a changing of the guard in the Pop hierarchy in the US. Sabrina Carpenter is taking the mainstream pop girl throne, while Charli XCX and Chappel Roan are providing exciting alternatives for people who are sick of the same old thing. I believe BTS will return to a very different Pop atmosphere next year and it could be time for them to take a big risk with their sound to excite listeners old and new.

• BTS & BP carried. Only their soloist can chart on Spotify US.

We had Cupid and magnetic but the songs are bigger than the members

Yeah, we're not going to pretend Super Shy didn't spend 8 weeks in the Hot 100, which is as long as any BP song and longer than any BP song not featuring Selena Gomez. We also aren't going to pretend Get Up wasn't the #1 best selling album on the Billboard 200. Nor will we ignore the fact NewJeans put 5 songs on the Hot 100 in a single calendar year, which matches an all time record for any girl group, K-Pop or otherwise, in Billboard history.

I'm sure you just made a careless mistake when you omitted them though.

• Yeah, we're not going to pretend Super Shy didn't spend 8 weeks in the Hot 100, which is as long as any BP song and longer than any BP song not featuring Selena Gomez. We also aren't going to pretend Get Up wasn't the #1 best selling album on the Billboard 200. Nor will we ignore the fact NewJeans put 5 songs on the Hot 100 in a single calendar year, which matches an all time record for any girl group, K-Pop or otherwise, in Billboard history.

Well I guess kpop is really fading in the west because they can’t do that anymore :pepe-peek:

• this is the correct answer. Also, there is a changing of the guard in the Pop hierarchy in the US. Sabrina Carpenter is taking the mainstream pop girl throne, while Charli XCX and Chappel Roan are providing exciting alternatives for people who are sick of the same old thing. I believe BTS will return to a very different Pop atmosphere next year and it could be time for them to take a big risk with their sound to excite listeners old and new.

As long as its not Pdogg producing and writing. :pepe-life-support:

• Well I guess kpop is really fading in the west because they can’t do that anymore :pepe-peek:

At least they've done it. That's more than I can say for IVE, and BP is basically disbanded so they'll never do it again either.

But we both know NewJeans will do it again, once ADOR actually focuses on the West.

NewJeans is the revolution.

• Yeah, we're not going to pretend Super Shy didn't spend 8 weeks in the Hot 100, which is as long as any BP song and longer than any BP song not featuring Selena Gomez. We also aren't going to pretend Get Up wasn't the #1 best selling album on the Billboard 200. Nor will we ignore the fact NewJeans put 5 songs on the Hot 100 in a single calendar year, which matches an all time record for any girl group, K-Pop or otherwise, in Billboard history.

And when they fell out with their company how many did they chart since?

• At least they've done it. That's more than I can say for IVE, and BP is basically disbanded so they'll never do it again either.

But we both know NewJeans will do it again, once ADOR actually focuses on the West.

IVE wasn’t relevant in the west to begin with so I don’t care. BP disbanded or not, Lisa is charting on BB, where’s NJ now ? You’re still stuck in 2023 :iconpepe:

• BTS & BP carried. Only their soloists can chart on Spotify US.

We had Cupid and magnetic but the songs are bigger than the members

Cupid destroyed by the greed of a never-do-well so-called owner who has failed on everything (and I don't think whatever he has launched is going anywhere, having heard nothing about it) but supported by other owners who want to suppress their own acts

Illit always emphasized Japan. It was never really intended to go big in the West. The Ador-Hybe mess made it more famous than expected, but I think it will mostly concentrate on Japan.

• It is fading a bit. I believe it will revive when BTS returns. It doesnt look like BP as a group has anything coming down the pipeline (unless its a big secret) to pump things up at this time.

:send-love-bunny:

But that will be the Last Dance.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• At least they've done it. That's more than I can say for IVE, and BP is basically disbanded so they'll never do it again either.

If MHJ thought about the West she would not have sent the girls to Tokyo Dome, and make Pham Ngoc Han, with no Japanese speakers in her family line, sing a 1980 Japanese song.

• And when they fell out with their company how many did they chart since?

What a mentally fragile human you are. I thought you blocked me? Yet I occupy so much mental real estate that you couldn't help yourself.

You don't get to have an opinion in this discussion until Twice can debut a song higher than #1450 on MelOn and 95% of their discography on Spotify isn't getting out streamed by 32 second interlude from NJ's 1 year old mini album

Know your place.

IVE wasn’t relevant in the west to begin with so I don’t care. BP disbanded or not, Lisa is charting on BB, where’s NJ now ? You’re still stuck in 2023 :iconpepe:

See? ktf knows their place. They know that IVE was never a big player in the West and that BP as a group are done, so they're coping with solo success (just 70 btw? BTS members did way better. Don't put BP in the same sentence as them).

Also imagine saying I'm stuck in 2023 when your ass is stuck in 2022, the last time BP came back and put up worse numbers than NewJeans

• If MHJ thought about the West she would not have sent the girls to Tokyo Dome, and make Pham Ngoc Han, with no Japanese speakers in her family line, sing a 1980 Japanese song.

Nothing she did this year was targeted towards the West.

I suspect the next album will be, and as usual, the peanut gallery yapping about NewJeans' Spotify results, like they're not still by far the most dominant girl group in the platform, will suddenly vanish when NewJeans set more records, just like they did when they realized how idiotic it was to doompost their Japan debut prior to them breaking a bunch of records there.

• Nothing she did this year was targeted towards the West.

I suspect the next album will be, and as usual, the peanut gallery yapping about NewJeans' Spotify results, like they're not still by far the most dominant girl group in the platform, will suddenly vanish when NewJeans set more records, just like they did when they realized how idiotic it was to doompost their Japan debut prior to them breaking a bunch of records there.

Do see my post I just left providing a more comprehensive look at regional spotify listener data across 10 girl groups. Provides some interesting insight and seems relevant to what's being discussed here.

• But that will be the Last Dance.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

All I can say is BTS wil make a come back in 2025, then do solo activities and promote music as a group when they feel like it.

• Do see my post I just left providing a more comprehensive look at regional spotify listener data across 10 girl groups. Provides some interesting insight and seems relevant to what's being discussed here.

Yes, I just weighed in. I woke up this morning ready to choose violence.

• See? ktf knows their place. They know that IVE was never a big player in the West and that BP as a group are done, so they're coping with solo success (just 70 btw? BTS members did way better. Don't put BP in the same sentence as them).

Also imagine saying I'm stuck in 2023 when your ass is stuck in 2022, the last time BP came back and put up worse numbers than NewJeans

You’re coping with 2023 stats which even worse when Bp last cb was in 2022. You should not put BP in the same sentence as NJ but I expect nothing from a MMM stan who thinks MMM was nowhere as big as BP. :send-love-bunny:

NJ has yet to outpeak IC peak, doesn’t even have the best selling female album and has the highest grossing kpop tour :whatb:

At the end you have only korea and japan to brag, it’s getting bad I fear

• You’re coping with 2023 stats which even worse when Bp last cb was in 2022. You should not put BP in the same sentence as NJ but I expect nothing from a MMM stan who thinks MMM was nowhere as big as BP. :send-love-bunny:

NJ has yet to outpeak IC peak, doesn’t even have the best selling female album and has the highest grossing kpop tour :whatb:

At the end you have only korea and japan to brag, it’s getting bad I fear

How stupid is it to accuse me of living in the past when your corny ass is in here boasting about a group that was last relevant music wise over two years ago, which is an eternity in the entertainment industry?

And then your big comeback was to act like making fun of a girl group that actually earned their way to the top, instead of having everything handed to them on a silver platter like BP, does anything but make BP look worse? The same BP that got blocked by said group on the charts once before?

And then you boast about BP's peak on Hot 100, something they couldn't do on their own merit and had to recruit Selena Gomez for?

Pathetic.

Their touring is the only legitimately impressive feat, by today's standards, that you mentioned

And that will be surpassed one day too.

NewJeans overshadowing your favorite groups clearly has you in your feelings.

• HOT 100 is still influential in the whole West and Lisa is doing very well on it.

Even if BP never comes back, and I think there is quite a chance they will cb, then she is still clearly getting those numbers in.

It is more a matter now if we can still consider Lisa Kpop. Don't know if she wants to be considered that way anyway. My guess is no, but she is probably smart enough not to say that.

• HOT 100 is still influential in the whole West and Lisa is doing very well on it.

Even if BP never comes back, and I think there is quite a chance they will cb, then she is still clearly getting those numbers in.

It is more a matter now if we can still consider Lisa Kpop. Don't know if she wants to be considered that way anyway

There was a post on one of the kpop subreddits earlier discussing this. Is lisa even kpop? Maybe now it's still safe to say but how many more songs and records being broken will it take until people decide she is no longer a kpop artist? will be interesting to see.

I do not get the feeling that Lisas intent is to continue being viewed as a kpop artist, which some may get offended by, but I think is probably better for her in the long run

• Nothing she did this year was targeted towards the West.

Now every move MHJ makes will be monitored by people from Hybe who will monitor her every expense

Unless she can get private investors to buy out the stake she cannot do anything

Her new boy group probably killed, her aim will be maximizing her profits, which means more activities in Japan.

• Kpop seems less of a hot topic in the Western (I can only speak for US) Media but I think this is a sign of the genre's normalization/acceptance rather than depopularization. I remember 2018-2020 when US kpop fandom exploded (due to BTS and BP) non-kpop fans were starting to notice the genre for the first time and had strong negative reactions (i.e. 'this is weird and gay', racist reactions, ridiculing fangirls). Since then I observe more American Gen-Z casually listen to kpop (Newjeans and Fifty Fifty are mainly responsible, so many non-kpop fans listened to Cupid, Supershy, Ditto, etc.) but the genre itself isn't getting huge reactions (negative or positive) because people here are more used to it so it no longer seems so foreign and bizarre to the average American to comment on it.

🍒 Chee~eer~ish 🍒

giphy.gif

• There was a post on one of the kpop subreddits earlier discussing this. Is lisa even kpop? Maybe now it's still safe to say but how many more songs and records being broken will it take until people decide she is no longer a kpop artist? will be interesting to see.

I do not get the feeling that Lisas intent is to continue being viewed as a kpop artist, which some may get offended by, but I think is probably better for her in the long run

I agree.

She will get hate if she distances herself from it and I think she will wait to say anything before she has established herself a bit more as a non-Kpop artist, if she ever says anything.

I think it's quite cool to have her promote more as a singer from Thailand. Some variety on the often very American/UK centered Western charts is always a nice thing.

• the question is though what does one exactly count as mainstream? and is/was kpop ever considered mainstream in the west

No.

Kpop isn't being talked about because it never was. We keep having to tell people it was never actually mainstream here, despite certain songs charting well, but they don't listen. Hybe can't pay $$$ for BTS to make public appearances in the west anymore, as if they were actually in-demand, because they're in the military, and YG can't do the same for Blackpink because they're disbanded, so everyone suddenly thinks "Where's the Kpop gone?" It was never legitimately here to begin with, outside of touring.

• While your place is crying about your faves flopping at 2 years old, tanking in Japan with a fake debut and going on hiatus for the foreseeable future lol.

I mean you talk so much crap about other groups it's almost like your faves didn't just drop off a cliff over night and become the biggest punch line in Kpop lol.

• No.

Kpop isn't being talked about because it never was. We keep having to tell people it was never actually mainstream here, despite certain songs charting well, but they don't listen. Hybe can't pay $$$ for BTS to make public appearances in the west anymore, as if they were actually in-demand, because they're in the military, and YG can't do the same for Blackpink because they're disbanded, so everyone suddenly thinks "Where's the Kpop gone?" It was never legitimately here to begin with, outside of touring.

Yea this is the truth some people seem to be unwilling to accept. Though I do believe BTS is legitimately a pretty big group even outside of kpop. In the west/US I think kpop is/was a fad and always will be. I don't even really believe people "casually" listen to kpop. You're basically either in the kpop fandom or you don't really listen to it at all except by accident.

• While your place is crying about your faves flopping at 2 years old, tanking in Japan with a fake debut and going on hiatus for the foreseeable future lol.

I mean you talk so much crap about other groups it's almost like your faves didn't just drop off a cliff over night and become the biggest punch line in Kpop lol.

I'm sorry, but fans of groups who can't even chart in the top 1000 on MelOn don't get to have a voice in this conversation.

Especially when they think charting 7 songs on the Japan Billboard Hot 100, selling out the Tokyo Dome with a fanclub presale alone and charting 3 songs in the MelOn Daily top 10, while being the top girl group on Spotify, and top artist on Circle and MelOn, fresh off New Jeans becoming the most streamed album in MelOn history, and Hype Boy becoming the most streamed song in Circle history, and How Sweet/Supernatural selling 2.1 million albums in under month, is dropping off a cliff.

If that's dropping off a cliff, then I guess Twice plummeted through the Earth's crust at terminal velocity and straight to its core.

Know. Your. Place.

Mental midget couldn't even commit to keeping me blocked. I'll be damned if some salty Once trolls is going to talk shit like their group hasn't been chart irrelevant for years.

• It's because the mainstream media ignores K-Pop a lot.

At least here in Germany. There's a fear that K-Pop will get too much market share and push out other music, especially the music that's produced by the band itself, like the DSDS productions that dumb down the people or the low-quality German rap that hasn't developed at all for 20 years.

BTS and BP have had their rise in popularity and success. And they want to prevent many other K-pop groups and stars from achieving the same.

• Twice flopped yet still smash your girls touring and outsell them and had a higher debut stream than any Newjeans song this year lol...

No wonder your girls only has their 40 year old uncle fans left like you lol.

Not even two and fully done. It was hilarious to watch the downfall.

Speaking of Newjeans and decline in the I remember you were shit talking last year about them playing stadiums eventually after the MetLife fiasco lol..still confident? Or has the penny dropped that it was all paid forward by HYBE yet?

• Since I'm a big fan of staying on topic, Twice are more relevant in the west than NJ will ever be. We all know what happened when NJ were scheduled to do a stadium show in the US -- it got cancelled due to lack of interest.

• This thread contains 46 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!