When was the last time Twice had a legitimate hit song?

• Has it been half a decade? Even longer?

Fancy wasn't a flop, but would you call it a hit? I don't think any other song they've released since then even came close to #1 on any chart.

That's just my opinion based on what I remember. I'm not taking the time to research it exhaustively, which is why this thread was made.

• nobody knows. not even onces know, they have disconnected from reality and have started living in a new reality where charts don't exist.

They seem to have a lot of free time on their hands to camp out and report on how other more relevant girl groups are charting, so I figured they must at least be familiar with the charting trends of their own group :pepe-shrug:

• I'd count the feels as a hit internationally tbh had good numbers but in Korea idk alcohol free did okay right? I don't focus on the numbers either.

Based on all the coping in this thread when TTT came out, I doubt it.

Little did they know that charting at 42 would be a milestone achievement compared to how Twice started charting in Korea afterwards

Honestly I'm thinking their last TRUE hit song may have been Dance The Night Away.

Fancy wasn't a flop, but would you call it a hit? I don't think any other song they've released since then even came close to #1 on any chart.

That's just my opinion based on what I remember. I'm not taking the time to research it exhaustively, which is why this thread was made.

why are u after twice, lets talk vocals

• Well as a once I'm claiming nayeon pop !!

• Yes or Yes peaked at #1 on Gaon (Circle?) chart in 2018. That was probably the last year of twice’s peak.

But that’s in Korea. They had better international charting in their later years

I keep forgetting about Yes or Yes.

So it's been dead ass SIX YEARS since they last had a hit song?

Even SNSD had a near chart topping single in that timeframe :meme-erm:

• Sure. Post your favorite Twice stage and I'll post my favorite Mamamoo stage and we'll compare vocals :meme-trying-not-to-laugh:

okay bet

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• okay bet

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:meme-side-eye:

Are you really proposing a proxy war featuring Twice's vocals vs. Mamamoo's?

I'll gladly take the L here just to spare Twice further shame. You win this one.

I was going to start linking encore stages but even I'm not that petty :meme-smirk:

• the question as always is what defines a hit song

what market are we referring to K-charting? I-charting?

what are the criteria and metrics used to determine hitness?

top 10

top 20

top 50?

melon roofhit?

top 10 ul on melon?

top 10 on instinz?

circle points?

winning one or more music shows?

top 10/20/50 spotify?

certain number of YT views?

• okay bet

Is this..,supposed to be good or is this satire I’m confused. Genuinely. ;(

• aww u gave up before u even posted cause u knew that u were cooked

• Yes

• Based on the American Top 40s which are deemed as Hit Songs...

TWICE's Set Me Free released in 2023 ranked 19th on the Korean Billboard equivalent, when you compare this to Cheer Up, their break out song, it ranked 53rd on the same Chart.

But using Circle (formerly known as GAON), 2022's Talk that Talked ranked 20th, while Set Me Free ranked 94th.

But if you're using the Japan's Hot 100, their debut song Like Ooh Ahh is their worst charting Title song at 27th.

The core 7 years of TWICE's initial contract were basically Hit Title Songs in SK, it's just that TWICE has such a high standard of Song Rankings that even their 20th ranked songs seem like flops but are mega hits for other GGs.

2021's Scientist was TWICE's first Title Song to not chart in the Top 10 Circle charts, it was their 16th Title Song

Nah, this thread was made because you need something to distract yourself from NJ's ongoing crisis. This is stress trolling.

nobody knows. not even onces know, they have disconnected from reality and have started living in a new reality where charts don't exist.

We live in a reality where Twice are Kpop legends and your charts will never change that. All these groups y'all debate the achievements of on the daily are merely playing catch-up.

• Pop! was probably their latest really big hit. Look At Me also started doing okay because it went viral on TikTok.

We should never count solo songs. It's not like Pop's success transferred to Twice's group promos or even Jihyo's own solo. I was talking strictly group comebacks.

I don’t really know what you classify as a hit, but I think Twice do have a lot of songs that are well-known and can be considered hits.

For me, I classify a hit song as a song that can at LEAST get into the top 10 on the Korean charts, and since Spotify has become more of a success metric, some success there as well, with a Hot 100 entry being ideal.

The Feels was a hit.

I think that's a stretch. The Feels peaked at 83 on the Hot 100 and lasted 1 week on the chart.

That's not a hit by any reasonable standard, compared to what BLACKPINK, NewJeans and 50/50 did internationally.

Talk That Talk while did't do well domestically had good international numbers.

Well then it's not really a contender. I linked a thread from when TTT dropped, and Onces were wondering why it wasn't charting well, when it peaked at 42.

As much as people downplay Korea when discussing Korean pop, those charts still matter, particularly to the groups.

Nah, this thread was made because you need something to distract yourself

So just like any other thread on this forum, or anyone who browses or posts on a forum. Thanks for stating the obvious, Sherlock.

Based on the American Top 40s which are deemed as Hit Songs...

This was a good post. But I personally don't view any of those songs as hits. Twice spent a total of two weeks on the Hot 100 between their two songs and neither peaked higher than 83.

For comparison:

BLACKPINK spent 23 weeks total on the Hot 100 with 5 songs (Peak Position: 48)

NewJeans spent 21 weeks total on the Hot 100 with 5 songs (Peak Position: 48)

Fifty Fifty spent 25 weeks total on the Hot 100 with 1 song (Peak Position: 25)

And Twice spent 2 weeks total on the Hot 100 with 2 songs (Peak Position: 83)

• Korea - Fancy (2019)

International streaming - The feels (2021) but talk that talk (2022) can qualify too even if it's not as big as tf

Twice has never had strong Spotify hits ever.

Japan - looks like the last place they chart. Even one spark did 12 weeks which tanked everywhere else.

MASHIRO

2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 5d5af69566f510634a33f7872a6a1d2060660504.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 2345da50879ac97ff52e1aad2faeecbfbd68798a.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 56959991afe4d396e38842dc0e1e20e6f89ab0b6.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv

• You gotta be more specific. Which language you talking about? Twice one of the few groups that got hit songs in 3 different languages. Not everyone could say that

• A hits a hit, it doesn't matter relative to others. Blackpink, News Jeans, Fifty Fifty also all had hits. You can argue they has bigger hits but the question is when did they last have a hit.

If Baemon suddenly released a song that had peak 18 position and charted for 100 weeks, you can't say "for comparison, this and that, so blackpink, NJ, 5050 didn't have any hits"

For comparison, if we compare Twice to the totality of all groups in kpop history, there's only a handful that even made it to Billboard...

• Korea - Fancy (2019)

International streaming - The feels (2021) but talk that talk (2022) can qualify too even if it's not as big as tf

Twice has never had strong Spotify hits ever.

Japan - looks like the last place they chart. Even one spark did 12 weeks which tanked everywhere else.

What were Fancy's peak numbers? It's become a pain trying to find historical ichart/MelOn figures outside of Circle

A hits a hit, it doesn't matter relative to others. Blackpink, News Jeans, Fifty Fifty also all had hits. You can argue they has bigger hits but the question is when did they last have a hit.

If Baemon suddenly released a song that had peak 18 position and charted for 100 weeks, you can't say "for comparison, this and that, so blackpink, NJ, 5050 didn't have any hits"

For comparison, if we compare Twice to the totality of all groups in kpop history, there's only a handful that even made it to Billboard...

That depends entirely on what you define as a hit song. I personally refuse to say any K-Pop song is a hit if it doesn't make any noise whatsoever in Korea, their home country. Or at the very least, qualifiers would be needed.

I don't think true hit songs need any qualifiers ala Cupid/Super Shy/Magnetic and now Supernova

• More and More in 2020 for Korea. Peaked at #1 on Melon Daily and #4 on Melon Weekly i believe. A fantastic criminally underrated song tbh, 10x better than the Feels that everyone creams over (a decent song for sure but totally overrated by stans).

Alcohol Free reached top 10 on Melon Daily/Weekly in 2021 i believe.

More and More really charted that well? Why don't I remember that at all? Maybe the encore stained my perception of how that song was received.

• More and More really charted that well? Why don't I remember that at all? Maybe the encore stained my perception of how that song was received.

External Content x.com

Found this tweet. #1 on Melon Daily with Alcohol Free peaking at 8.

• In Korea, Circle chart

Last #1 'Yes or Yes' 2018

Last top 5 'More and More' 2020

Last top 10 'Alcohol free' 2021

Last top 20 'Talk that talk' 2022

So take your pick. depending on what you think a 'hit song' is.

I say top 10, so they had one in 2021.

In Japan, all their main singles have gone top 5.

Their last #1 Japanese song was 'fanfare' in 2020. all other after have gone top 2 or 3.

In the USA?

If I consider only a top 10 song a "hit" then, they have never had one.

Only BTS, Psy, have done that.

• This was a good post. But I personally don't view any of those songs as hits. Twice spent a total of two weeks on the Hot 100 between their two songs and neither peaked higher than 83.

And that's what's in contention because it's not your personal opinion that dictates what a Hit Song is but the measure of Charts that have long dictated what qualifies as a Hit Song.

Whether you or I agree with the Charting doesn't really change the fact that they did chart high

• What were Fancy's peak numbers? It's become a pain trying to find historical ichart/MelOn figures outside of Circle

Good longevity even tho it peaked #3 on circle. 700M circle points. Has a streaming certification from circle.

External Content x.com

External Content x.com

External Content x.com

External Content x.com

More and More really charted that well? Why don't I remember that at all? Maybe the encore stained my perception of how that song was received.

It had #1 peak on most charts but longevity was not great. Started falling as soon as first day was over. Sits at something like 340M digital points on circle. Circle peak #4.

MASHIRO

2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 5d5af69566f510634a33f7872a6a1d2060660504.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 2345da50879ac97ff52e1aad2faeecbfbd68798a.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv 56959991afe4d396e38842dc0e1e20e6f89ab0b6.gifv 2aa8ee22f2804d638330929636b03d1a3375e4f7.gifv

• Looking at all the data everyone has contributed to the thread, I think the main candidates are:

Fancy (2019)

More and More (2020)

Alcohol Free (2021)

By my own criteria, I lean towards Fancy being the best answer based on:

Good longevity even tho it peaked #3 on circle. 700M circle points. Has a streaming certification from circle.

Korean charting still matters a ton to me, and I think it's really disingenuous (not that I'm accusing anyone here of this) when people pretend like those charts are meaningless. Somehow you only hear that from fans of groups who don't chart well in Korea. No shade intended; it's just my observation of when people start crapping on Korea's relevance in the big picture.

I would hold myself to those same expectations. For example, if NJ did what they did last year on Spotify/Billboard, but failed to chart anything on MelOn, I would've been a lot quieter.

I think you need to reach BTS levels for Korean charting to matter significantly less, and no group has come close to that, not even BP.

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!