Data shown album Sales appear to be plateauing for almost all major kpop groups- 12% Down Overall

• SORRY FOR JUST COPY AND PASTE FROM REDDIT, I FIND THE DATA FROM OP IS INTERESTING AND DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD

From the kpop_uncensored community on Reddit
    Explore this post and more from the kpop_uncensored community
    www.reddit.com

Hanteo First Week Sales:

pre-order-album-sales-appear-to-be-plateauing-12-down-v0-sffj9ob28syc1.png

Hanteo First Week Sales (Change)

It's been discussed before, but it appears for the most part, the Kpop album sales have reached a zenith. I couldn't happen to notice the last week of 2 powerhouse groups (SVT and IVE) were both down on their previous albums, and I wondered what the overall lay of the land was for the top groups.

It appears that apart from a few outliers (such as NJ, and Twice - which could be an issue with their shipping manifesting as a first week sales increase), the overall landscape appears to be at most leveling out, if not declining slightly. The change of added up is -12.02%, or about 3 million albums less then the groups earlier album. This is focusing on Retail Hanteo sales - mainly Pre-orders of albums. Whilst there may be some differences with the Circle data, it roughly follows the same trend.

Hanteo First week Sales Data:

pre-order-album-sales-appear-to-be-plateauing-12-down-v0-576l7rci8syc1.png

My note: I guess it's probably just fan fatigue. On average, Kpop groups come back once every 5-6 months, and between that, they release Japanese albums, go on tours, sell merchandise, and so on. The Kpop market is huge now, but exposure-wise, we didn't have Bts and Blackpink serving as free noise marketing for the whole industry. The bubble probably burst a bit already; the Kpop market is bigger now than ever, but at the same time, it hasn't really grown a lot like before.

• Tr12345

Changed the title of the thread from “Pre-order Album Sales appear to be plateauing - 12% Down Overall” to “Data shown album Sales appear to be plateauing for almost all major kpop groups- 12% Down Overall”.
  • Thank god. We already have enough plastic waste accumulating from kpop stans, it doesn't need to grow more.

0004980173_001_20240503093404017.jpg

🍒 Chee~eer~ish 🍒

314f6d45bba4af73b4a09fde553ceeb7fefb3df2.gifv

• Look at jyp groups especially itzy...they didn't even get into any scandals...is it because of lia hiatus

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thank god. We already have enough plastic waste accumulating from kpop stans, it doesn't need to grow more.

0004980173_001_20240503093404017.jpg

If I'm in Korea or Japan, I'd bunk down next to a dumpster like a homeless person whenever a popular group makes a comeback, scoop up half the albums, and sell 'em to ifans. Easy cash! 🤑

• Look at jyp groups especially itzy...they didn't even get into any scandals...is it because of lia hiatus

I think most would agree that Itzy's music has deteriorated which could be because of Lia hiatus. They are also a little long in the tooth by kpop standards so it's not surprising to see their sales go down (although this is a lot).

• So jpop and kpop are finally catching up to the rest of the world?

Physical album sales is a thing of the past in the west and Latin America, I am not sure about Africa and the rest of Asia.

• Ateez is fine, that's good to know they will sell even more this upcoming comeback.

seventeen is no surprise when it's just a best album with 4 new songs. and double the price of their last one.

• I don't think its fan fatigue. And no, even if I am Once and the whole discussion about age and being able to actually purchase.

Its about the way its counted. We already had the discussion about Circle vs Hanteo and so forth.

But Youtube pretty much crashed that for digitals, to the point it being discussed as unfair practice.

Then we have the whole discussion about bulk albums and the environment and what not.

So people just watch on YT and PC's are just for bragging rights.

• Simply, BTS is not here to feed the kpop pool.

It was so long coming, everyone knew it was going to happen and now it is happening in front of our eyes

:pepe-shrug:

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• unfortunate that this means more fansigns and random benefits. it would have to be actual legislation to tamp that down. or maybe the industry listens to what mhj was saying and fear her shaman or something.

• If I'm in Korea or Japan, I'd bunk down next to a dumpster like a homeless person whenever a popular group makes a comeback, scoop up half the albums, and sell 'em to ifans. Easy cash! 🤑

They don't have dumpsters in Seoul; I had the same idea when I was there. I have no idea where the bulk buyers put their stuff.

• Album sales have been artificially inflated by selling a million different versions. Are groups putting out fewer versions now? If so, this might just be a more accurate reflection of sales.

• I mean, here Twice had a increase of 63% in the first week.

The person who posted it literally makes that a point about Twice's being incongruous and suggest a shipping issue for their previous album.

Despite one data blip, the overall trend has been on a plateau of sales. If we exclude or correct for Twice, their point is proven even more!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!