Tracking the time it took for the top girl groups of each gen to become the top girl group

• I don't know first generation at all, aside from names, so I have no assessment on the dynamics of that generation.

This is for Korea, to keep the data points straightforward

SNSD:

Debuted in 2007

Became the top girl group in 2009 in their third year

Their reign lasted 7 years

Twice:

Debuted in 2015

Became the top girl group in 2016 in their second year. Took 6 months.

Their reign lasted 5 years

BLACKPINK:

Debuted in 2016

Became the top girl group in 2020 in their fifth year

Their reign lasted 2 years

NewJeans:

Debuted in 2022

Became the top girl group in 2022 in their first year

Took under a month

Their reign is at 3 years and counting

I'm bored at work and just felt like posting this :pepe-notes:

• Yes, it has nothing do with illit smaching nj rookie year and achievements

Sure sure

It doesn't.

I like ILLIT no matter how insecure they make me feel, and I have the song play count to prove it

Plus...they haven't done that, especially if we're talking Korea.

I wonder what has you so triggered :/¬‿¬

NewJeans dominance was unreal.

I would place IVE too.

5th gen, I say for now just Illit and Babymonster within a year.

There can only be one.

Ignoring the fact I placed Twice and BlackPink, but they each had a significant run as the top group. IVE had about...a half year? I can't really count that.

• Not this bullshit from you again Yama, we've been through this. Twice kicked their ass with Fancy.

I was tempted to give 2018 to BLACKPINK, and you're in here complaining I picked 2019?

I don't want to be mean to Twice today. Just take the olive branch.

2016 to 2018 is a very respectable run.

It's out of respect to Twice that I didn't let the massive hit, D4, convince me to give 2018 to BP as well.

• Lettuce not be like Dives and accidentally hex NewJeans into Flopvile for bragging points. Be humble and maybe we can terrorize the forum in June

I'll enjoy their music regardless of how it performs. And the same goes for me terrorizing the forums. :pepe-devil:

People will be very disappointed if they think an underperforming song or two will take the wind out of the sails of someone with as much combat experience as me :pepe-army:

Plus I didn't say anything wrong. It's just an observation.

• No matter how many times I see it it still hurts when we see a fellow kpop fan become a success stan.

RIP. Another Moomoo lost.

Who was the other MooMoo?

And I spent thousands seeing Mamamoo last summer. I don't want to hear this success stan nonsense again :pepe-hips:

Who here can say they'd be willing to do that for their favs, especially success stans? ;judgingpepe:

• Why do you care so much about NJ's success aren't you like 40-50 years old? i would think you have better things to do with your time :pepe-hips:

• Why do you care so much about NJ's success aren't you like 40-50 years old? i would think you have better things to do with your time :pepe-hips:

You got a whole Drew in here and trying to act like I'm the boomer in the room?

I'm the maknae of the older fans here. Thank you very much :pepe-tea:

You think I'll still be working in my 50s?

And of course I care about the commercial success of my favorite groups. More success = more money = more opportunities = more content

I have stanned plenty of nugu girl groups over the past decade.

None of them made it to their contract expirations. So stop success shaming me and just stick to facepalming me :pepe-hips:

• Why not work past your 50s since you basically get paid to post on allkpop it seems lol. Sounds like an easy job.

• I can do both :pepe-use-head:

• Blackpink debuted as a top GG. Their album release cycle works against them. But they were the biggest GG within a few months to a year of debut.

I know twice fans will never agree but twice have been second to BP since the minute they debuted no two ways about it.

:pepewhat:

Based on...what exactly?

They couldn't even outduel Mamamoo in 2017. They weren't on Twice's level until 2018. Throne wasn't claimed until 2019.

• Blackpink debuted as a top GG. Their album release cycle works against them. But they were the biggest GG within a few months to a year of debut.

I know twice fans will never agree but twice have been second to BP since the minute they debuted no two ways about it.

I'm a blink but even I can admit twice were bigger than bp in their earlier years.

twice were in their prime during their first 3 years into their career. Not to mention they started touring earlier, it took some time for bp to surpass them I mean bp didn't have their first album until later.

• :pepewhat:

Based on...what exactly?

They couldn't even outduel Mamamoo in 2017. They weren't on Twice's level until 2018. Throne wasn't claimed until 2019.

Yama they were always way higher than everyone. Don’t kid yourself.

Or is suddenly intentional performance not important or something lol.

From day 1 they were bigger than everyone when you consider total popularity and performances

Literally you’ll have to be blind not not to acknowledge this.

MMM was never in any contention for anything with BP.

When we consider over all and worldwide popularity and performance it was BP from the day they debuted. No one compares.

There’s no two ways about it.

Even now I can’t agree new jeans will be able to compete with BP head to head in international performance.

These are just facts.

Yes BP have less releases and less albums. But that won’t change the sheer enormity of their popularity and appeal.

And this so completely objective assessment.

• I'm a blink but even I can admit twice were bigger than bp in their earlier years.

twice were in their prime during their first 3 years into their career. Not to mention they started touring earlier, it took some time for bp to surpass them I mean bp didn't have their first album until later.

They were not. It was how BP’s releases panned out not their actual popularity.

Also this was very visible how Twice was actually never in any contention with BP and BTS post YouTube chart in spite of having those YouTube records.

Twice were able to take advantage of the pre YouTube chart YouTube ads and promo. Which made it seem like as if they were in same plane as BP for a bit but they never were.

IMO they were never close to BP and ofc BTS as well.

• are we talking globally or in korea? because in Korea was twice come on now? I can't believe I'm defending twice lol

• Nah, actually if you said 2018, I'd somehow argue less. I'd disagree of course but it'd be less controversial. However 2019 is literally just wrong, because Twice actually won back on multiple areas. Fancy was their first global hit and they crushed BP in head to head battle in Korea both on digital and the albums. I really don't know how could anyone give 2019 to BP, they it was underwhelming compared to great 2018 they had.

• Nah, this person really on a whole another level lol

• Oh the crew is all here.

lmao i was just about to say

Watch this thread turn into bp vs twice round 25373652 between the usual suspects. Congrats op on pivoting the topic right on track for a hit thread :pepe-toast: Might as well bring the popcorn :pepe-popcorn:

• ISaidISaid provide one metric that proves BlackPink was more popular than Twice in 2016 and 2017 in Korea.

PLEASE

I need to see this.

Why are you so adamantly wrong? :boompepe:

They couldn't outchart, get more ULs or win more music shows going head to head with Mamamoo in 2017, but they debuted more popular than TWICE?

LMAO

Why do you cape so hard for debut BlackPink? This is a consistent theme with you now.

• Tbh I feel like BP got big in 2017 not 2019, their still reigning on top even if New Jeans are the new it girls for K-pop fans.

They were big at debut, but they were not the top girl group at debut, unlike what ISaidISaid is trying to claim happened.

If you hopped into a time machine, went to 2016 and said Twice wasn't the biggest girl group in K-Pop, you would be ridiculed and laughed at by everybody.

Twice did not pass the baton to BP until 2019. 2018 is VERY debatable, but 2019 it was clear who the top group was.

• They were big at debut, but they were not the top girl group at debut, unlike what ISaidISaid is trying to claim happened.

If you hopped into a time machine, went to 2016 and said Twice wasn't the biggest girl group in K-Pop, you would be ridiculed and laughed at by everybody.

Twice did not pass the baton to BP until 2019. 2018 is VERY debatable, but 2019 it was clear who the top group was.

2018 was BP's year without a doubt, there's no debate. We can agree to disagree but in 2017 BP were already climbing up as the next big girl group.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Their YouTube and social media presence is more than enough proof. Why do I need more.

In korea it was very competitive indeed. What about it. Doesn’t change anything else.

Between 2016-2018 YouTube is #1 way to determine who is the biggest kpop group it was THE pinnacle of kpop global popularity far more than any other point in time.

There was nothing more important than this at that time.

BP weren’t lacking in Korea while miles ahead of everyone else internationally. Thats why they are without a doubt the number 1 group since their first year.

MMM with their nuguness were in never contention for any top spot ever Yama let it go.

• What?

Are you seriously trying to argue that YouTube views had more value than digitals, album sales and touring? There is a reason those metrics continue to stand the test of time, while nobody gives a damn about YT view counts anymore, and in 2016, Twice crushed BlackPink in that area. And not just them either.

GFriend did. MAMAMOO did as well.

BlackPink had WAY more YT views than Mamamoo in 2017, so why did Mamamoo debut higher on the charts when both groups dropped their new mini albums on the same hour? Why did Mamamoo take #1 while setting a new record for unique listeners in the first 24 hours?

And that's 2017.

You're in here arguing BlackPink was the top group at DEBUT. Which I'm convinced someone is paying you akorns under the table to argue that just to troll, cause ain't no WAY anyone would believe that.

They had zero album sales. They weren't touring yet obviously. And their digitals were WAY below not just Twice, but GFriend and Mamamoo as well.

Do you have ANYTHING that objectively illustrates how BlackPink was a more popular group than Twice in Korea in 2016?

Lmao. Stop it.

• If digitaos and sales of the year are the determining factor of the year.

Why is NewJeans from 2022 and npt 2023 if IVE had the best digital track record in 2022?

Hype Boy and Attention are still on the MelOn Daily. NewJeans reached an all kill in 11 days, a record. It took IVE 250+ days. NewJeans is the best selling debut album by any girl group ever, and is on pace to be the most streamed girl group album ever (no other qualifiers). Not to mention, the literal day they debuted, they became global superstars and Korea's obsession, from the hit song that was Attention to the viral master piece that is Hype Boy (STILL a top 30 song and chosen by industry insiders as the song of the year...IN 2023) and then they ended the year with Ditto.

The only reason NewJeans didn't sweep every single award in 2022, like they did in 2023, is because they debuted in July, but that was all the time they needed to become the top girl group in the game.

The numbers NewJeans did in Korea in their debut era is something we may never see again. Ever. And it all started from a surprise debut album drop.

• This thread contains 35 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!