Do you think SM will stop Aespa from growing bigger or will they finally let their groups to meet their true potential now after Lee Soo Man is gone?

• I guess we can say that SM never really let their groups' potential and popularity go beyond what they can handle. During Lee Soo Man's time, especially after Tvxq, SM seems to never really want their groups to expand more and have really huge popularity that can threaten the company position in controlling them.

But now after Lsm is gone, I wonder if SM will sticks to this 'strategy' and stops Aespa's growth once the company thinks their popularity is enough or will they continue to push them to their fullest potential.

• All Kpop labels have an incentive to cap their idols popularity. It's kinda perverse, i never understood it at first, but it makes more sense now seeing how YG is struggling to keep BP in the fold. Labels need their idols to become popular enough to exploit them for $$$, selling albums, merch, concert tix, etc. Top charts and win awards for prestige. But they cant let them get too popular individually to allow them to break off from the label once the first contract ends.

JYP is a master at this as we already know, dude kept Twice locked up just as badly as YG, this whole time everyone's been complaining about BP being dungeoned, but Twice was dungeoned as well, just in a more craven and devious way by the master himself.

Aespa, esp Karina, could have been THE GROUP back in 2021, taking over after Izone's disbandment. But they were dungeoned. I think SM will make noise about promoting the members but i wouldnt trust them.

• it's SM

they will go for sales

but at certain point when they will debut next GG with that dancing Haeun girl they will fully focus on rookies

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• All Kpop groups have an incentive to cap their idols popularity. It's kinda perverse, i never understood it at first, but it makes more sense now seeing how YG is struggling to keep BP in the fold. Labels need their idols to become popular enough to exploit them for $$$, selling albums, merch, concert tix, etc. Top charts and win awards for prestige. But they cant let them get too popular individually to allow them to break off from the label once the first contract ends.

JYP is a master at this as we already know, dude kept Twice locked up just as badly as YG, this whole time everyone's been complaining about BP being dungeoned, but Twice was dungeoned as well, just in a more craven and devious way by the master himself.

Aespa, esp Karina, could have been THE GROUP back in 2021, taking over after Izone's disbandment. But they were dungeoned. I think SM will make noise about promoting the members but i wouldnt trust them.

JYPE still salty about Suzy. :emotionalpepe:

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Definitely feeling the push for Aespa this couple of years, you can say the entire SM image has been altered for the purpose of pushing Aespa

A company wanting to keep control over their own artist is not a new concept that SM created by themselves, its the same thing for all other companies.

And it's true that when an artist get bigger it gets harder and harder to control their activities to align with the company's plans.

It's a constant balancing act between the company and artist to maintain freedom and control that is agreeable between the two parties.

Mutual trust and respect play a big part between the company and artist as well.

And money matters such as profit splits needs to be clearly communicated and agreed upon.

If all these line up then theoretically the company should push their artist to their fullest potential.

• JYP is a master at this as we already know, dude kept Twice locked up just as badly as YG, this whole time everyone's been complaining about BP being dungeoned, but Twice was dungeoned as well, just in a more craven and devious way by the master himself.

TWICE has released 7 Studio Albums vs BP's 2

TWICE has released 12 EPs vs BP's 3

There's a big difference between YG's Dungeon and JYP's :P

Since Nayeon debut in 2022, TWICE have had 2 Korean Comebacks, 2 Japanese Comebacks, MiSaMo and JiHyo debut.

• I think BPhouse and keyboardwarrior's saying is for twice's solo activities...

I highly agree with that position since

we know how big twice are but throughout years 1-6 the members have very little solo activities in fact half way through year 7 they had more solo activities then than the entire previous 6 years combined!!!

hell twice only got their IG accounts last year (year 7)

SKZ only got theirs this year (year 5)

itzy still don't have theirs

I've said this before but JYP is very very clever and devious...

the less individual activities one has the more the person has to rely on the group...especially for female idols

female idols do NOT renew with the same company (only three have in the entire kpop history) and thus female idols need to plan their future accordingly - do they want to quit the entertainment industry, marriage/children?, continue being an idol, actresse, singer, model, mc etc etc - guess what? a lot of that relies on SOLO activities

so what does JYP do with twice - prevent them from having any solo activities and thus what do twice do - renew with JYPE!!! all of them - they are in fact the biggest group in group history for all members to renew with the same company they started with...

compare that situation to BP (the comparison I'm making is only in regards to renewals not music or anything else)

as shit is YG musically the members of BP themselves have a shit load of solo activities and guess what - that means more opportunities for them individually depending on what they want to do in the future

and more opportunities mean that the individual members of BP no longer have to stay within YG

I for one am liking these long negotiations between the pinks and YG - why? cos they (BP) have bargaining power!!!

• I don't know.

But, I miss the rookie Exo kind of discography.

And DO is doing music more so I'm happy.

And at the same time, I'm worried about Baekhyun's future music wise.

I don't know how much LSM would've changed any of it or made it better. I thought that he was only responsible for the SM music production but apparently he did might than that so...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is so true.

• Very true...

So, how many solo gigs does Twice have compared to BP?

Solo careers = individual longevity and with time group longevity too as proved by Snsd.

• All Kpop labels have an incentive to cap their idols popularity. It's kinda perverse, i never understood it at first, but it makes more sense now seeing how YG is struggling to keep BP in the fold. Labels need their idols to become popular enough to exploit them for $$$, selling albums, merch, concert tix, etc. Top charts and win awards for prestige. But they cant let them get too popular individually to allow them to break off from the label once the first contract ends.

onces who lived through 2018-2021 can testify about this. First jyp started by limiting twice variety shows appearances to be non-existent unless it was a comeback and only a pair of tv shows with a pair of radio shows in that case, disconnecting the group from the general public eye. Then they canceled every twice public appearance in korean music festivals. The next thing was reducing their endorsements to the minimum, even got7 fans laughed at onces because their group had 3 or 4 times more endorsements, jyp also rejected any individual brand deal. Onces had to protest actively by sending trucks.

Apart of nullifying their solo careers, the group career was passively sabotaged, twice was putting out lot of music content but of low quality, like look how yg gave blackpink their biggest era with 3 music videos with massive budget and the best production in kpop meanwhile twice put out fucking more & more with an awful music video. It wasnt until 2022 when jyp knew the renewal was secured they started giving twice everything was denied.

Maybe yg was forced to let blackpink grow without control both as a group and soloists because of the seungri and yang hyun suk 2019 scandals plus the pandemic both things affected them a lot, blackpink needed to comeback with everything to save the company, and look ultra expensive music videos, 3 heavily promoted singles, collabs with lady gaga, selena gomez and cardi b in an span of 3 months.

And look where we are now, those 4 women are so big they dont even need yg or blackpink and the company is suffering.

• It’s hilarious how people always say JYP is scared of another Suzy mess.

While during their debut, Tzuyu was massive and pushed everywhere, nayeon and sana were extremely popular but as soon as the scandal happened, JYP noticed there’s no point to push them individually and just pushed the ot9 narrative, onces didn’t care about individual popularity until BP proved you could be relevant in a group or individually.

• The ultimate difference is 9 million CDs that TWICE has above BP and TWICE still has Sponsors, a massive amount of merchandise which is renewed and naturally Tours.

BP's solos and side jobs don't earn much, the bulk of their money is made through touring as a group

• It’s hilarious how people always say JYP is scared of another Suzy mess.

While during their debut, Tzuyu was massive and pushed everywhere, nayeon and sana were extremely popular but as soon as the scandal happened, JYP noticed there’s no point to push them individually and just pushed the ot9 narrative, onces didn’t care about individual popularity until BP proved you could be relevant in a group or individually.

You have to remember that JYPE were pushing the Chinese Wondergirls in China before their debut as miss A

Suzy was a lucky chance but she wasn't enough to save AQ Entertainment which was the subsidiary that debut miss A but were later dissolved. Both AQ Entertainment and JYPE pushed all members however Suzy was pushed by the Drama and Movies she was in, it had nothing to do with JYPE.

Many Koreans didn't even know she was in a Kpop Girl Group, that's just the gap between Actors/Actresses and Kpop Idols for the Korean public.

In the end, only Suzy and Fei had any financial future with JYPE

You are right that Onces don't care about individual popularity because they support every member equally because that's the point of being a TWICE stan or any stan of a Group. Rather you get stans of members that adopt the identity of the group standom name but they aren't the same.

Tzuyu had the makings of being a gold mine for JYPE for the Chinese market, then the flag thing happened, it still affects her today.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!