This upcoming 2023 MAMAs is the most intriguing storyline left in K-Pop this year

• Do you think Mnet will give a daesang to NewJeans at MAMAs? 31

1. Yes (20) 65%
    2. No (11) 35%

The storyline: Will the ADOR/Mnet beef carry over into this year's MAMAs--Mnet Asian Music Awards?

For those who aren't aware, prior to last year's MAMAs, ADOR and Mnet were on good terms, and NewJeans still promoted on Mnet programs like M-Countdown:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But everything changed after the 2022 MAMAs; NewJeans were invited to perform on both days of the event and walked away completely empty-handed.

That's despite four groups walking out of the 2022 MAMAs with ROY awards. Yet NewJeans, the group most agree had the biggest debut and rookie year ever, was not one of them.

Even their CEO, Min Heejin, walked away with an award for Breakout Producer, but Mnet couldn't even come up with one of their little one-off random categories to make sure NewJeans received something.

You may think this isn't a big deal, but ADOR has literally not sent NewJeans to any Mnet production ever since. It's been two entire promotion cycles since then, and they are clearly still not over this.

So now we get to see if Mnet will bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones this year. Because NewJeans are somehow even bigger frontrunners for daesangs this year than they were for ROY awards last year.

Or will Mnet match petty energy with petty energy and freeze out NewJeans again, at the cost of destroying whatever credibility their awards have left?

Stay tuned~

Oh, I made a poll because why not.

• a reminder to NewJeans fans which might not follow KPOP industry

HYBE bought out BeLift Lab shares from CJ ENM

so there must been some kind of total fallout on 'top executive level'

this is why HYBE did R U Next? survival with JTBC not with MNet

and also this is why MNet is doing I-LAND 2 with Teddy Park, and not with Bang PD

still I can't imagine situation when for example Le Sserafim won't be at MAMA 2023 just because companies had a 'bad breakup'

in case of NewJeans it's more possible because like you said they didn't get any award in situation where NMIXX and Kep1er got that 'new artist' award

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They do this a lot new jeans isn’t the first or last group to beef with Mnet. It’ll blow over when min hee jin or ador decide winning mama is more important than beefing with Mnet.

Oh for sure Mnet beefing with the big labels is a time honored tradition.

I'm just curious if they are willing both deny NJ a ROY award AND not hand them any daesangs that next year.

That would be an insane outcome of this beef

• Good insights

But Le Sserafim still performed even their most recent songs on Mnet programs still

External Content youtu.be

NJ still nowhere to be found. That's why I think this is very much an ADOR/Mnet issue specifically

• Oh for sure Mnet beefing with the big labels is a time honored tradition.

I'm just curious if they are willing both deny NJ a ROY award AND not hand them any daesangs that next year.

That would be an insane outcome of this beef

Not particularly insane. Mnet giving awards to whomever they want is a very regular thing. What I mean is this drama is stale and expected lol.

But also with 17 there it’s not “confirmed” new jeans is capable of winning daesangs. Without sales The only eligible category for new jeans to win for sure is song of the year and well we all know Mnet gives that to whomever they want and not really the top song.

• Not particularly insane. Mnet giving awards to whomever they want is a very regular thing. What I mean is this drama is stale and expected lol.

Freezing out the group that charted 5 songs on the Billboard 100 in a single calendar year, broke the record for PAK hours held by BTS and outsold the Barbie OST would be especially insane to me.

I know Mnet being arbitrary with their awards isn't new. The intrigue is if they will do so to a group that had one of the biggest individual years a group has ever had.

But also with 17 there it’s not “confirmed” new jeans is capable of winning daesangs. Without sales The only eligible category for new jeans to win for sure is song of the year and well we all know Mnet gives that to whomever they want and not really the top song.

Didn't every single prediction account have NewJeans way ahead for SOTY or neck and neck with 17 for AOTY before their Get Up album promotions?

Looked it up.

EDIT: Someone provided more updated numbers. Disregard

• Oh New Jeans will probably not attend MAMA 2023 then

It's ok, it's not something new. BP hasn't got one MMA or MAMA daesang and they're still the biggest kpop girl group. New Jeans isn't from a small company either so they'll be fine.

At least we still have other award shows to look forward to :dancer-pepe:

• Personally i would give NJ the Artist of the Year Award since they set records both in Korea and abroad and they ARE the CULTURAL RESET that is happening in Kpop. That's the kind of impact Artists of the Years should make. Ive is more of your standard Kpop group.

But SOTY should go to I AM. It's just a much better song in every way and i think the 40 percent judges might agree. I AM also released into the teeth of the top 5 songs of 2023 including Spicy and Kwinka and later Bluebeard.

• Personally i would give NJ the Artist of the Year Award since they set records both in Korea and abroad and they ARE the CULTURAL RESET that is happening in Kpop. That's the kind of impact Artists of the Years should make. Ive is more of your standard Kpop group.

But SOTY should go to I AM. It's just a much better song in every way and i think the 40 percent judges might agree. I AM also released into the teeth of the top 5 songs of 2023 including Spicy and Kwinka and later Bluebeard.

You riot if IVE gets robbed. I riot if NJ gets robbed.

Sounds like we rioting either way brother

giphy.gif

You riot if IVE gets robbed. I riot if NJ gets robbed.

Sounds like we rioting either way brother

giphy.gif

So we're saying it's Fifty/Fifty who will take the crown?

:iconpepe:

---======---

• It will be interesting if NJ gets a Lifetime Achievement Award (some 'special award' cataloguing their entire career) ending the days of a certain 1,344 years old as a Senior Singer.

• The fact remains they don’t have the most physical albums sold. So losing any of the categories is entirely possible.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!