Bora is proof vocal talent is irrelevant in kpop

• It’s a “nice to have” but so many other things are important. Bora now became one of the most disliked contestants in Queendom Puzzle. Doesn’t matter how much she can out sing others.

I can’t believe people wasted 3rd gen hyping up vocal talent so much. It was infuriating.

• Vocal talent is irrelevant in ANY pop music market, not just kpop. You think celebrities like britney spears or rihanna or taylor swift are so successful because they’re the most skilled singers of their generation? Lol. Were you born yesterday or what. Pinning this on kpop as if it’s a unique phenomenon only observed in this niche, when in fact kpop is just following in other markets’ footsteps in literally everything, is cute 😂

• Vocal talent is irrelevant in ANY pop music market, not just kpop. You think celebrities like britney spears or rihanna or taylor swift are so successful because they’re the most skilled singers of their generation? Lol. Were you born yesterday or what. Pinning this on kpop as if it’s a unique phenomenon only observed in this niche, when in fact kpop is just following in other markets’ footsteps in literally everything, is cute 😂

The existence of Vocal Trinity is the proof that vocal talent has a place in pop music. You just need to be that "GREAT" so you can be noticed. Remember Mariah Carey still hold the most #1 record (Soloist) in the Hot 100 due to her outstanding vocals. Also no shade but Bora is more on average vocal skills.

• The existence of Vocal Trinity is the proof that vocal talent has a place in pop music. You just need to be that "GREAT" so you can be noticed. Remember Mariah Carey still hold the most #1 record (Soloist) in the Hot 100 due to her outstanding vocals.

i’m not saying vocal talents do not ever help. they do, sometimes. but most of the time, as long as you don’t sound like nails on a chalkboard, and you have other factors to help further your career (which are far more necessary/important to possess than extraordinary talents), you’re good to go. the most popular are rarely the most talented. that’s the point

not really, if we are going to compare, we should consider other factors, even if britney, taylor and rihanna are not the best vocal wise, they are still decent vocalists and stomp on 99 percent of kpop vocalists, not in any other industry would you find the likes of sakura level vocalists thriving purely thanks to their visuals.

• There are only a handful of good active singers in kpop, basically those that have gone on King of Masked Singer in the last 10 years and won an episode, and Hyolyn. Everyone who hasn't gone on the show and people say is good, is overrated, and if there were to go on the show, they would be exposed.

Edited once, last by K-PL ().

• not really, if we are going to compare, we should consider other factors, even if britney, taylor and rihanna are not the best vocal wise, they are still decent vocalists and stomp on 99 percent of kpop vocalists, not in any other industry would you find the likes of sakura level vocalists thriving purely thanks to their visuals.

Wut? They're terrible (and i'm a HUGE Swift fan, literally the greatest artist of the past 30 years, but you will never catch me talking about her vocals lol). This xenophobic worship of local celebrities over idols is crazy.

Outside of Gaga, Bey, Adele, Halsey, Olivia, no one else can sing above the average Kpop idol lol.

As for OP's post, this is boyband music infused with Korean lyrics. Why would anyone in their right mind look to this for vocals?

Just punch up a random Morissette playlist and have your ears be BLESSED for hours upon hours.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• not really, if we are going to compare, we should consider other factors, even if britney, taylor and rihanna are not the best vocal wise, they are still decent vocalists and stomp on 99 percent of kpop vocalists, not in any other industry would you find the likes of sakura level vocalists thriving purely thanks to their visuals.

i do agree that kpop as an industry is more hyper focused on looks than other markets are, but that doesn’t negate my point. The baseline for what’s required at the minimum to pass as “acceptable singing skills” differs between each market, but as long as you pass that threshold, vocal talents alone do not determine whether you end up on top or not, be it in kpop or anywhere else

Edited 4 times, last by whisk ().

• not in any other industry would you find the likes of sakura level vocalists thriving purely thanks to their visuals

ayyy come on... sakura isn't the best singer for sure, but she is a REALLY good dancer and has good sp. ofc, at the starting she may have made it in to izone due to her visuals, but there will always be people judging her nonetheless. visuals dont have it that easy. one reason that bad vocalists are even in kpop is due tot he fact that they are good at something else. eg. momo is not a good singer but she is an out-of-the-world dancer. that's why she made it into the kpop industry.

however, yes, i do agree that visuals play A HUGE FACTOR in kpop. like the ru next surviavl show, ppl alr picking their faves based on their VISUALS! i mean, that's just kinda sad right?

• using big words like xenophobic is kinda amusing, ngl, you have no idea where I am from, so let's refrain from making assumptions, shall we.

that's not true, I'm not exactly a vocal expert but I enjoy researching, the 1st and 2nd generation kpop idol groups had some proficient vocalists but the following generations just are not good vocally.

• i do agree that kpop as an industry is more hyper focused on looks than in other markets, but that doesn’t negate my point. The baseline for what’s required at the minimum to pass as “acceptable singing skills” differs between kpop and other pop markets, but as long as you pass that threshold, vocal talents alone do not determine whether you end up on top or not, be it in kpop or anywhere rlse

fair point, I do agree to a certain extent.

• ayyy come on... sakura isn't the best singer for sure, but she is a REALLY good dancer and has good sp. ofc, at the starting she may have made it in to izone due to her visuals, but there will always be people judging her nonetheless. visuals dont have it that easy. one reason that bad vocalists are even in kpop is due tot he fact that they are good at something else. eg. momo is not a good singer but she is an out-of-the-world dancer. that's why she made it into the kpop industry.

however, yes, i do agree that visuals play A HUGE FACTOR in kpop. like the ru next surviavl show, ppl alr picking their faves based on their VISUALS! i mean, that's just kinda sad right?

I like Sakura, she is funny, kind and really pretty but I would like her more if she was for example an influencer, a comedian, an MC... and no, I don't think she is particularly good at dancing and sp either, the other lesserafim members catch my attention more and that while being more well-rounded (except eunchae but she's a child so...)

• Bora and Jiwon were tasked to choose 'Pick' and 'Drop' Teams. It put them both in an awkward position. She and Jiwon is paying for it in the next rounds of competition.

MVPs Nana and Hyiseo deciding the next round of Teams. Will they get the same treatment?

Bora is too likable to stay most disliked for long. Bora reminds me of NC.A a lot of vocal power in a small package.

• what the fuck

the "Average kpop idol" cannot sing one full song without going off tune 20 times

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• As for OP's post, this is boyband music infused with Korean lyrics. Why would anyone in their right mind look to this for vocals?

Boybands grew out of vocal quartet and vocal groups.

The early wave of Boy bands in the US and the UK *could* sing, and sing very well. N'Sync, one of the biggest are probably one group that people unaware that those guys could actually, legitimately sing. They had a traditional vocal group - they had countertenor, tenor, baritone and bass.

So... I guess it's now K-pop, but historically if we look at Boybands, they could actually sing very well.

• I wouldn't say that having a vocal talent is irrelevant in kpop. I mean, by being the main vocal from a group will open many chance, mainly singing an ost or any other project. Having more open door will not hurt you know?

BUT

if we are talking on the scope of survival show, then... yes, it is not gonna bring much if you are relying on the talent alone. Actually I've already said this on some post about qd puzzle (I think it was bad guy's post), and it all came down on popularity.

Girl Re:verse's final is the prime example. Having an outstanding talent is not enough to change the game, because unfortunately, not all kpop stans gonna appreciate talent and other fandom won't choose you simply because you are better than their favs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!