Physical Index Sales- The difference between the album sales and the album revenue

• From what I understand, physical record index is effected by the record sales price. There is a denominator, which would be the album copy’s price. For example let’s say that Hanteo physical record index put $10 = 1 point. You just bought an album that costs $15. Hanteo sales count would count +1 since you bought 1, but record index would add +1.5 ($15 to 10). Bts for example have sold 3m+ albums but it equivalent to 7m+ albums based on their sales price because their album is expensive.

IMG_20230528_231230.jpg

IMG_20230528_231210.jpg

• Why is this discussion happening? What triggered it?

I spoke about this issue because it affects BTS the most when PROOF two versions = $100- $110 and its gatekeeping $300 collector version (tax evasion I think) would have easily already sold more than 10M+ albums if they were priced the avg price their peers were charging their albums.

• Physical Record Index sounds cool in theory but does it take into account price reductions? Anyone can put a 100 dollar MSRP on an album but if it only gets sold when its marked down to 20 bucks, and if the index doesnt somehow account for this huge price reduction, i'm not sure this index would be relevant.

i mean if third party sellers are giving the discount like ktown4u/target and not the label, it doesn't matter right?

• i mean if third party sellers are giving the discount like ktown4u/target and not the label, it doesn't matter right?

I think it does if you wanna use the chart for fanwars :smirks2: (i'm already seeing folks claiming that a certain group's album sales numbers dont reflect their actual impact since their albums cost 10x what other Kpop albums cost, which is why they support an index like this that takes the higher prices into account).

But if you wanna use it for fanwars like this, the index needs to find a way to ensure that it is based on the actual sale price to the end consumer and not the album's listed MSRP X( .

• I think it does if you wanna use the chart for fanwars :smirks2: (i'm already seeing folks claiming that a certain group's album sales numbers dont reflect their actual impact since their albums cost 10x what other Kpop albums cost, which is why they support an index like this that takes the higher prices into account).

But if you wanna use it for fanwars like this, the index needs to find a way to ensure that it is based on the actual sale price to the end consumer and not the album's listed MSRP X( .

If the index is being updated realtime then i dont think it matters. if sales prices drop, then naturally those sale prices will still reflect

But this only holds if the physical index is being updated realtime and from the label side., not secondary sellers like tetetete implied

• The only thing that really counts is profit and loss.

Some companies with weird album sales patterns, that are different to the rest of the industry, may be spending big with "creative marketing" and polluting the environment with landfill.

Just look at concert sales where there are receipts and pr articles. You cannot Sajaegi them.

• Why isn't Aespa there?

Your obsession with aespa and aespa only is really funny. First chart based on screenshots was Yearly which only aespa album that counts is Girls and they are the second highest GG after BP (exactly how both their sales rank).

The second chart is monthly so aespa’s My World doesn’t count yet because it hasn’t been a month.

You don’t worry about aespa when it comes to index flex chart (there’s a reason this chart isn’t used to drag them by other fandoms) because they had the best sales to index difference last year compared to most 4th gens. They actually price their albums higher than most 4th gen ggs (not that different tho, $1-3 difference but they’re never cheaper than other high sellers) and yet sell the most.

lt64IYu.gif

• Your obsession with aespa and aespa only is really funny. First chart based on screenshots was Yearly which only aespa album that counts is Girls and they are the second highest GG after BP (exactly how both their sales rank).

The second chart is monthly so aespa’s My World doesn’t count yet because it hasn’t been a month.

You don’t worry about aespa when it comes to index flex chart (there’s a reason this chart isn’t used to drag them by other fandoms) because they had the best sales to index difference last year compared to most 4th gens. They actually price their albums higher than most 4th gen ggs (not that different tho, $1-3 difference but they’re never cheaper than other high sellers) and yet sell the most.

I'm talking about the screenshots, I don't see Aespa.

• Your obsession with aespa and aespa only is really funny. First chart based on screenshots was Yearly which only aespa album that counts is Girls and they are the second highest GG after BP (exactly how both their sales rank).

Chill.. i also want to see aespa's index for Girls

anyone has it?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!