How to compare the success of each album through physical record index (revenue)

• For those who don't know, physical record index reflects the price of each album sold. While sales amount is only counting how many copies the album & it’s versions sold, physical record index would add the value of album price into the consideration as well.

According to the chart, BTS topped the 2022 album sales chart with a whopping 7.3 million physical record index and 3 million copies sold. This is a large margin from the runner-up, as Stray Kids came in second place with a 2.8 million physical record index with 2.6 million copies sold. There's only a small gap in album sales between BTS and Stray Kids, yet the huge gap in record index is glaring.

The only good thing that Hanteo did last yr is to add a physical record index. In this way, we can see the actual consumption without the companies inflating their groups' sales with the unnecessary multiple versions/digipacks or variations of 1 album only.

Screenshot (4).png

If we're only considering copies sold then the list would be different, but since some albums are more expensive than others, this became the final ranking.

If we based it on Top 10, then this is the ranking for album sales in corresponding to their value in average.

1. PROOF- 2.4x in average

2. Born Pink - 1.2x

3. Sector 17 - 1.1x

4. Maxident - 1.06x

5. Manifesto: Day 1 - 1.05x

6. 2 Baddies - 1.047x

7. Candy - 1.045x

8. Glitch Mode - 1.0389x

9. Face The Sun - 1.0388x

10. Minisode 2: Thursday's Child - 0.96x

Meaning, we can see here the average value in each album. For example, Born Pink and Sector 17 almost had the same revenue generated regarless of the copies sold of both albums. Or we can see how Proof outgrossed Born Pink & Maxident by 2x.

Hope it all makes sense.

• It’s honestly not that good a point either way because physical albums is anyway not a measure of music consumed.

And imo if you want to argue money made is better indication that album sales that’s a separate discussion. We don’t know what’s the production cost and that’s not just of the album but the company arrangement with the distributor, their overall profit margin etc.

TLDR a useless metric on top of an already useless metric.

• does that mean, 3 m sales of proof here is equivalent to 7m sales based on the price?

Correct. Wow, you pick up numbers easily. And you also know math unlike some ppl here (no offense 8o) hehe.

If we based it on Proof's value (album price) Maxident would only sell 1.1 M albums with their corresponding revenue (physical record index shown) and Born Pink 833k copies.

• It’s honestly not that good a point either way because physical albums is anyway not a measure of music consumed.

Where did I mention a 'music consumption' here? I'm merely talking about the actual consumption of album buyers depending on it's value.

And imo if you want to argue money made is better indication that album sales that’s a separate discussion. We don’t know what’s the production cost and that’s not just of the album but the company arrangement with the distributor, their overall profit margin etc.

Your comment here isn't relevant to my discussion. Never did I mention about the production cost and the profit margin of an album here. Come up with your own conclusions why you think it is irrelevant then.

• Where did I mention a 'music consumption' here? I'm merely talking about the actual consumption of album buyers depending on it's value.

Your comment here isn't relevant to my discussion. Never did I mention about the production cost and the profit margin of an album here. Come up with your own conclusions why you think it is irrelevant then.

I’m saying this is is a useless metric BECAUSE it’s not a measure of music consumed eye- what in lack of comprehension 😭

That’s what I’m saying too you’ve not mentioned production cost etc and cost of albums sold without that in the picture is useless apart from that we don’t really have a fixed measure of demand Vs cost of album and what are the threasholds :angryr: :cryingr:

TLDR : this is equally as useless a metric as albums sold.

• I’m saying this is is a useless metric BECAUSE it’s not a measure of music consumed eye- what in lack of comprehension 😭

That’s what I’m saying too you’ve not mentioned production cost etc and cost of albums sold without that in the picture is useless apart from that we don’t really have a fixed measure of demand Vs cost of album and what are the threasholds :angryr: :cryingr:

TLDR : this is equally as useless a metric as albums sold.

You are the one lacking comprehension cause we are talking about the two separate things here. This is an interpretation of the data in Hanteo's physical record index. And you came here talking about "money made" and album production costs as if I wrote down any revenue made of each album.

Go make your own thread and make your own metric since you know more than a music chart system that tracks all the data and record of individual album sales from approved stores and websites.

• Hope this clears up if there's any confusion. And yes, the physical record index is accurate and is shown to public for more transparency. Hanteo did great, and I actually hope to see the actual revenue instead of the index, but this is probably what's only allowed to be shared in the public. Kpop needs to be more transparent with their income made in music like Japan.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• does that mean, 3 m sales of proof here is equivalent to 7m sales based on the price?

Doesn't this indicate that the company is selling overpriced albums? When everyone is generating albums at within a certain price limit, why make price of album 2.4X? That's double of the album on second place with 1.2X.

• sweetenerstan

Changed the title of the thread from “How to compare the success of each album through revenue” to “How to compare the success of each album through physical record index (revenue)”.
  • Doesn't this indicate that the company is selling overpriced albums? When everyone is generating albums at within a certain price limit, why make price of album 2.4X? That's double of the album on second place with 1.2X.

for proof there were 2 versions. one standard and one compact. compact was normal priced, std was the exp one bcos it had more stuff. but is my initial assumption right?

• You are the one lacking comprehension cause we are talking about the two separate things here. This is an interpretation of the data in Hanteo's physical record index. And you came here talking about "money made" and album production costs as if I wrote down any revenue made of each album.

Go make your own thread and make your own metric since you know more than a music chart system that tracks all the data and record of individual album sales from approved stores and websites.

Just because it’s tracked doesn’t make it a worthy metric. Since you made thread on the metric it’s very much on topic to call the metric useless if I so please.

I'm not good at math but from what I understand, it's just show that highest albums sales not exactly guarantee that the group make more profits. Yes there are a lot of other costs to include but this is just the rough data to see the some revenues from all groups. Bp makes more profits from their album sales than skz while skz sold more albums than them. As simple as that.

• Kpop fans won't like these types of bottom line metrics, it doesn't allow for cherry picking and convenient stat flexing on twitter. Aside from actual personal tastes, revenue is the best way to measure success I'd say.

• Just because it’s tracked doesn’t make it a worthy metric. Since you made thread on the metric it’s very much on topic to call the metric useless if I so please.

That's why I said to present your own conclusion which made you think the Hanteo's metric useless/not worthy. I mean your assumption is wrong, but that's your opinion.

And in your earlier reponses, you are fixated on different topic which is about revenue made of an album and the expenses behind it which is completely different to the context of my thread here, so I'll just won't respond to your replies since it's irrelevant on my topic (unless it's about the metric that you're complaining about). Oddly enough, you are the only one not seemily understanding the concept behind it, so that's on you.

• Kpop fans won't like these types of bottom line metrics, it doesn't allow for cherry picking and convenient stat flexing on twitter. Aside from actual personal tastes, revenue is the best way to measure success I'd say.

The problem with some people is that once they read a word that triggered/bothered them they would only focused on that and make their own assumptions/conclusions that's totally different to the context which can result in lack of reading comprehension. That's why it's better to read the whole context and really analyze it before relaying their conclusions to someone.

• At least Hanteo is giving us several data/metrics and trying to improve their transparency (can’t say the same re Billboard)

I don’t think any of these metrics are useless.

This may sound repetitive, but really don't understand why others think it is a useless metric when Hanteo just added the index to show people the actual value comparison of each album without actually revealing the revenue made. Atleast this way, we can see the comprehensive picture of their album rankings with the consideration of album pricing.

To simplify, we can come to a conclusion that the list provided by Hanteo is the Top Selling Album (revenue) in Hanteo this year, regardless of how many copies each album have sold. And Hanteo has all the data from stores and websites, so they have the right tools & resources to come up with their data. So no, the metric is not useless.

And the list that I made is only an interpretation of the data provided by Hanteo to get the average value. Which is also not useless, cause we can see which albums have the highest value in corresponding to their index and copies sold.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!