What are your opinions on cultural use in kpop?

• Some say cultural appropriation but no one has explained the line between appropriation and appreciation, so I'll just say use

What do you think about using braids in hair? Certain cultures clothes? A cultural instrument in a song?

• coming from an ethnical minority: as long as it's done respectfully, i don't rlly care about concepts inspired by other cultures.

loonapop only

Pin by ʀɪɴᴀ on LOOΠΔ | We heart it, Image, Find image

• I can’t speak for others but as an Arab I’m ok with everything as long as there is no mockery so wearing clothes, head jewellery, henna etc is fine by me. Stay clear from things associated with religion like Hijab and sacred phrases.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• me as representative of Slavic countries still waiting as some kpop group will try to be inspired by our culture...

and if this happen I would be happy to see it!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• In general I think cultural gatekeeping is impractical and unrealistic and attempts to assert ownership that is removed from the logical way culture develops.

No culture develops in a vacuum and every culture is a mixture and continuation of disparate influences, ideas, and customs that were in turn derived from previous sources and other cultures.

Cultures build upon cultures.

That's the way the world works.

• Same. I want to see a baguette/croissant/omelette du fromage concept ASAP.

to make you smile I know there is some bakery called Paris Baguette in Seoul and I've heard many female idols talking about it in vlogs or vlives

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also where is the outrage when non Asians learn Asian cuisine and startup Asian restaurants? What about non Asians teaching or making money off of Asian martial arts? Asian languages? Should these people be cancelled and fired? What about sports? Basketball was invented by white people. Should all non white people be banned from learning and making money off of the sport? What about foreign language interpreters who spend years learning another culture's language and then go off and profit from this?

If CA was real, no person could make money off of anything but the culture that is reflected in their DNA. It's brain dead idiotic.

• Also where is the outrage when non Asians learn Asian cuisine and startup Asian restaurants? What about non Asians teaching or making money off of Asian martial arts? Asian languages? Should these people be cancelled and fired? What about sports? Basketball was invented by white people. Should all non white people be banned from learning and making money off of the sport? What about foreign language interpreters who spend years learning another culture's language and then go off and profit from this?

If CA was real, no person could make money off of anything but the culture that is reflected in their DNA. It's brain dead idiotic.

I'm trying to imagine a world where non Western Civilizations were barred from utilizing Western thought, practices, and invention. Or where non Eastern Civilizations were unable to utilize Eastern thought, practices and invention. And so on.

China would have all the guns.

Europe the cars.

And everyone outside of America would die of Polio.

What a Brave New World.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

CA is real, Kpop stans just made it look like a joke by calling everything CA and making a big deal out of everything. But hey if people are offended they are allowed to insult and send death threats lol.

• Black people from the US who think they speak on behalf of all Black people in the world.

But isn’t most of what being appropriated comes from the African- American culture? They have unique culture to them that developed from years of suffering. I think this is what makes their experience different than us from other countries/ cultures

• if the people of that culture are okay wiht it it's fine i guess

the problem is that it is never unanimous, there is a certain group of people who will think everything is fine (as long as it is not offensive to the culture) but there are groups of people who will say that they cannot under any circumstances

• the problem is that it is never unanimous, there is a certain group of people who will think everything is fine (as long as it is not offensive to the culture) but there are groups of people who will say that they cannot under any circumstances

True.maybe there should be nonprofit or cultural organisations or something like that. That could help clear things and promote mindfulness of other cultures. Maybe even the UN should do that

• But isn’t most of what being appropriated comes from the African- American culture? They have unique culture to them that developed from years of suffering. I think this is what makes their experience different than us from other countries/ cultures

Not when it comes to hairstyles. There were discussions on this forum about braided hair and how it was supposed to be CA for a Korean, or any non Black person, to braid their hair. So do you think Black Americans own the braids over everybody else, Black Africans included? Sounds silly to me.

• True.maybe there should be nonprofit or cultural organisations or something like that. That could help clear things and promote mindfulness of other cultures. Maybe even the UN should do that

I think it is better to avoid it because there is no consensus in the community

• But isn’t most of what being appropriated comes from the African- American culture? They have unique culture to them that developed from years of suffering. I think this is what makes their experience different than us from other countries/ cultures

nah our culture is used in star wars but no one screams it is ca, it is not always from African - American

• Not when it comes to hairstyles. There were discussions on this forum about braided hair and how it was supposed to be CA for a Korean, or any non Black person, to braid their hair. So do you think Black Americans own the braids over everybody else, Black Africans included? Sounds silly to me.

yes, braiding hair is not historically in Korean and most Asian cultures but Tibetan culture which is thin microbraids so it’s CA when a Korean does it and black Africans are black so it’s not CA for them and it depends on the African if it is CA or not but according to the dictionary it’s CA when a non- black person wears braids and CA is real but people, just call anything CA these days so it seems annoying now and to all people who wanna protect their faves, if Irene can be so mean to her stylist to the point that she cried, I think your fave can refuse box braids and cornrows and e.t.c

• I don't agree with cultural gatekeeping. As long as it's not disrespectful I don't see a problem. I think people are venting their anger on the wrong problem. I don't believe one culture should be able to ban another culture from using a piece of clothing, in any direction.

But when you talk about the economical aspect of CA I agree that there indeed lies a problem that doesn't have a simple solution.

• Not when it comes to hairstyles. There were discussions on this forum about braided hair and how it was supposed to be CA for a Korean, or any non Black person, to braid their hair. So do you think Black Americans own the braids over everybody else, Black Africans included? Sounds silly to me.

But when an idol wears braided hair most of the time it’s associated with rap/hip hop that as far as I know made by African Americans.

• In my opinion, I don't know if I have ever seen cultural appreciation in Kpop. I say this because almost every single person I have stanned has made a racist, colorist, or just mockery of other cultures/races. For Korean idols/artists to wear certain black hairstyles and clothing then they need to understand the struggle and history of what we go through. I could get harmed or discriminated against for embracing my culture but they use it as a prop for a photoshoot or MV.

• This thread contains 99 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!