Why do English singles only bring success for BTS but not other groups?

• BTS English songs became their biggest songs, even on Spotify right now, Left and Right/My Universe are the only BTS songs charting. Yet when Blackpink, Twice, Seventeen, Aespa, Itzy do it, the songs perform worse than usual. Why the difference?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also My Universe and Left and Right are huge sleeper hits cause they are good songs!!!

MU has been charting on Global Spotify for 1.5 years and LnR for 8 months now.

• It's always the misconception within Kpop fans. They think if other groups release an English song it would magically become a global hit! Dynamite and Butter are nowhere near to be called a 'Kpop' song. Both songs are straight up pop song with no weird kpop melody in the mix.

I think what makes a Kpop song 'kpop' is the melody. Those songs you've linked above (except Dynamite) didn't sound like the usual pop song that you hear on the mainstream radio. And even then, it won't guarantee any success. When a song clicks to general public, then it clicks. BTS just have the appeal to a lot of people. Besides, Dynamite and Butter are hit materials no matter how kpop fans feel about the songs.

• It’s not just BTS’ English songs, their Korean songs also are still getting lots of love.. maybe the language is not the reason, but good music?

For example, BTS has 51 songs that reached at least 200M streams on Spotify

External Content twitter.com

• It’s not just BTS’ English songs, their Korean songs also are still getting lots of love.. maybe the language is not the reason, but good music?

For example, BTS has 51 songs that reached at least 200M streams on Spotify

External Content twitter.com

This. I mean BTS have the biggest Korean hits too...so maybe its just a BTS having good music thing which is like duh..they are BTS ffs!!!

• But back in the days Love me like money by Wonder Girls was quit huge tho and people claimed it was cause Akon had been featured on the song lol

I remember how some years later on Vine (a platform similiar to TikTok that had shut down around 2018) the song went insanily viral and everyone had been using it in their clips

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Tbf The Feels is doing a lot better for Twice too. It’s not a big song on the level as dynamite and butter, but it’s still a successful single for twice.

Same for ice cream. It’s still BP longest charting track on billboard

Also for BTS, their Korean songs are also bigger hits than most kpop groups. Boy with luv success is yet to be replicated and Mic drop which was released in 2017 was able to spend over 20 weeks on billboard. So it may be just BTS putting out good songs, not necessarily because of language :pepe-notes:

• If you compare them to BTS success, everything is a luck luster.

The Feels brought Twice success after some back to back mehs.

Anyway, here are some of the english songs from kpop that i like:

External Content open.spotify.com

• Because you have 40million teens in the US going Gaga over the boys. Plus a lot of adults. Their songs came out during the pandemic and were up beat and catchy. People needed that during a hard time and they loved BTS in the process.

:bts14:

• Because you have 40million teens in the US going Gaga over the boys. Plus a lot of adults. Their songs came out during the pandemic and were up beat and catchy. People needed that during a hard time and they loved BTS in the process.

:bts14:

Sometimes you make me wonder if you are an Army or a troll cause wtf? Weird

Edited once, last by paradis ().

• cause it's BTS ?!?!

like Dynamite , Butter & Permission To Dance sounds different than k-pop plus were released during the pandemic so many took it as a breather and just a song to boost you up!

plus bcs BTS has ✨ARMY ✨which is millions of people around the world and in the US, it's a LOT of them. it's just maybe the music also clicks with the general public and they like it?

idk but surely it's because it's BTS !

- off topic ish but i remember hearing MU on the radio and Butter & Dynamite being played as well. plus recently when i went to Dave & Buster's (like Chuck E cheese; you can eat food, play games & watch sports), they played L&R ( Jungkook & Charlie Puth) and Butter probably cause (1) they're in english & (2) they're trending songs that everybody knows & likes

+ even my non k-pop friends say they know at least Dynamite & Butter bcs they've heard it it on the radio or social media so it's also ab how much coverage the song gets

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• Sometimes you make me wonder if you are an Army or a troll cause wtf? Weird

What’s weird about it. I’m saying in the US, teens tend to like BTS the most. Us adults got into them during the pandemic, when their English language songs came out. I know with my job, a Covid unit nurse, I was glad to have the songs and they are who really pulled me into liking K -Pop. It’s strange as I am a heavy metal music lover, so for someone to have pulled me a different way, they had to be special like BTS.

• BP have not released a full eng single yet

Ice cream was not marketed as an eng single & it had Korean verse (Lisa's rap)

Their eng single is coming soon tho 😌

• What’s weird about it. I’m saying in the US, teens tend to like BTS the most. Us adults got into them during the pandemic, when their English language songs came out. I know with my job, a Covid unit nurse, I was glad to have the songs and they are who really pulled me into liking K -Pop. It’s strange as I am a heavy metal music lover, so for someone to have pulled me a different way, they had to be special like BTS.

I'm an adult and got into them in 2018. Funny enough, it was another adult who then became my IRL ARMY buddy as she was already a fan too. I can guarantee you that BTS had adult fans in the US before the pandemic.

• when did Bp release a English single ? its not sure what happen when BP release . also, who composed the sing also important. if its was done by the whole big record company like Columbia, it is more advanced than others.

consider BP achieve 2 No.1 spotify weekly with a korean song, I think it will huge for Bp with english SINGLE

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!