Were Kakao behind IVE’s huge success or is it all organic?

• it was revealed that a popular Facebook page 'Idol Issue' is owned by Kakao and biased towards kakao affiliated groups.

The page often negatively targeted Newjeans, Lesserafim ITZY and NMIXX (the direct competitors of IVE) creating scandals and negative articles.

Kakao is known to be heavily affiliated with Starship Entertainment…in fact they own around 60% of shares in starship.

It does make me feel a bit suspicious because this is exactly the kind of trickery that is present from many huge media cooperations, but there also could be an argument that IVE’s success is organic - they do have great songs and Princess Wony.

• so a small facebook page with less than 80k followers is the cause of IVE success because it does what? Publish articles? I didn't realize that IVE is the only group that has articles published about them or that about 70k people can move a whole industry for a single group, wow, how amazing.

• It is impossible to untangle IVE's inherent popularity from Kakao M/Starship's manipulation.

Could they be here without all the efforts KKM and Starship put forward illegally? Maybe, but we'll never know.

• sure.

Kakao have many artist, but people only target IVE

;judgingpepe:

Because it was discovered and reported on that Kakao themselves heavily promoted IVE on that page compared to their other artists?

I really wish people read the report to understand what occured. People are focusing on IVE because Kakao themselves heavily focused on IVE with Idol Hub. They made more posts about IVE (and Wonyoung) then Twice, Blackpink, and Red Velvet put together.

You guys keep defending some shady stuff because you don't want anything to reflect badly on your faves. Of course IVE aren't responsible for what Kakao did, but they are clear beneficiaries.

• would be interesting to see some stats with the impact of the kakao flux on ive's popularity

in ive's case i think its mainly organic tho, kakao can't make music for em

• so a small facebook page with less than 80k followers is the cause of IVE success because it does what? Publish articles? I didn't realize that IVE is the only group that has articles published about them or that about 70k people can move a whole industry for a single group, wow, how amazing.

It was over 1 Million people, and the biggest player in that space. Why do you guys need to keep lying?

This isn't some twitter argument. This is serious journalists, in a proper and respected newspaper, publishing a report on the activity and bias of a heavily influential page in regards to Idols in South Korea.

• Because it was discovered and reported on that Kakao themselves heavily promoted IVE on that page compared to their other artists?

I really wish people read the report to understand what occured. People are focusing on IVE because Kakao themselves heavily focused on IVE with Idol Hub. They made more posts about IVE (and Wonyoung) then Twice, Blackpink, and Red Velvet put together.

You guys keep defending some shady stuff because you don't want anything to reflect badly on your faves. Of course IVE aren't responsible for what Kakao did, but they are clear beneficiaries.

It isn't inorganic if the agency promote and hype up their group through media or positive article. It is disgusting on what Kakao do to other groups, but them using mediaplay hyping ive alone isn't inorganic.

If you say they rigged their number, fake digital number/physical sales then prove it.

People spreading fake news and baseless accusation is no different than what Kakao did lmao.

Didn't you know? Kakao and Starship are the only companies to do media play, its not like other companies have connections to Naver where negative things are posted all the time.

• This is the same as as saying big companies are not organic. So you should also ask if Jennie and blackpink are organic lol……all big companies love to shape the narrative. It’s not just for kpop but entertainment as a whole. And those with money will do it the best.

Ive probably has their narrative shaped for them just like any other company.

• It isn't inorganic if the agency promote and hype up their group through media or positive article. It is disgusting on what Kakao do to other groups, but them using mediaplay hyping ive alone isn't inorganic.

It is in the way Kakao did it.

I have a product I want to sell. Now, I can put an advertisement online or in the paper - not a problem. But if I buy the paper without anyone knowing (or disclosing it), and use the articles inside to surreptitiously promote my product- unethical and underhanded. That's what Kakao did, and they had one group overwhelmingly in mind with the shady play - IVE.

If you say they rigged their number, fake digital number/physical sales then prove it.

Whose saying they rigged their number? The evidence is that IVE were promoted underhandedly and heavily by what presented itself as an independent third party page. The outcome, as someone mentioned above, will be impossible to untangle from IVE's success this year.

• It is in the way Kakao did it.

I have a product I want to sell. Now, I can put an advertisement online or in the paper - not a problem. But if I buy the paper without anyone knowing (or disclosing it), and use the articles inside to surreptitiously promote my product- unethical and underhanded. That's what Kakao did, and they had one group overwhelmingly in mind with the shady play - IVE.

Whose saying they rigged their number? The evidence is that IVE were promoted underhandedly and heavily by what presented itself as an independent third party page. The outcome, as someone mentioned above, will be impossible to untangle from IVE's success this year.

We don't know Kakao owned that page until recently so before we know that kakao owned the page, they probably just a normal news page for people so how much benefit did IVE get from this Kakao's move(hiding at the back, negative news to IVE competitor and positive news of IVE)?

so does this Kakao move play a role in IVE's success? imo not much. IVE will be successful without this shitty move from Kakao. However, does this going to hurt other group success? Maybe. Probably depend on what negative news they post.

• We don't know Kakao owned that page until recently so before we know that kakao owned the page, they probably just a normal news page for people so how much benefit did IVE get from this Kakao's move(hiding at the back, negative news to IVE competitor and positive news of IVE)?

so does this Kakao move play a role in IVE's success? imo not much. IVE will be successful without this shitty move from Kakao. However, does this going to hurt other group success? Maybe. Probably depend on what negative news they post.

This is backwards reasoning.

Astroturfing is a term for a reason. The ability to sway public opinion via planted effort is a long documented action.

And having the single largest Idol Media Outlet in Korea be secretly a propaganda house for your groups... that's a lot of public opinion sway.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!