I've never thought I'd see Stray Kids get dragged for having a big chinese fanbase

• Yeah but the chinese gp doesnt give a shit about kpop lol, so its a minority compared to the gp

Yeah, it's niche like it is everywhere else, but my point is that the population is so much bigger than elsewhere that the numbers are very viable. Kpop also has huge reach across Asia, and this includes China.

The argument chinese sales = bulk buy happen when certain fanbase wants to discredit sales from groups like Blackpink aespa and now SKZ which has huge support there. People are just pressed. Stay pressed they will still get the sales

Yeah, it's silly. You can tell that some of these people being xenophobic are not that well educated or travelled. You can only hope that they'll grow a bit smarter in the future.

• Well it's around 20 times bigger but based on your analogy, China should slaughter America for being the biggest Music Market in the World.

The simple fact is, China based fans are notorious for bulk buying Korean albums for the sole purpose of their biases charting high or selling more than other Kpop Groups.

There is nothing wrong with fans that bulk buy but there is a problem when fans try to use those numbers to claim their bias is more popular

Err, there's a difference in dollar value between USD and RMB. Also, each of the countries consume music in different ways.

Why is it a problem that good album sales in a country makes an act more popular in that country? Is it a problem because it doesn't fit the narrative that you want to push?

:pepe-magnify:

• It's really interesting, cause I remember that, during their God's Menu/Back Door they were getting great streams for a group that used to sell around 300k back then.

Some K-pop stans used to drag them for having too many casual listeners and this interest wasn't translated into fandom power and physical sales.

Now they are dragged, because their fans buy albums...

This back and forth debate about the difference between fandom and GP is mentally exhausting. Having the GP support is good, but it's fickle. The casual listeners come and go. The biggest win is having a loyal fandom, which will support you till the end.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would question Stray Kids' popularity at this stage of their career. Their album sales speak of the loyal fanbase they have. Their streaming numbers are growing as they grow more popular. Their discography is topnotch.

Haters will pull the K-charts' card. I'd say it doesn't mean everything. The proof is the recent performance by everyone on Melon. Not getting number 1 on Melon doesn't mean the end of the world or that the group is a nobody.

As long as the group releases albums that the fans love and support, the group is successful in my eyes.

• Err, there's a difference in dollar value between USD and RMB. Also, each of the countries consume music in different ways.

Why is it a problem that good album sales in a country makes an act more popular in that country? Is it a problem because it doesn't fit the narrative that you want to push?

:pepe-magnify:

Currencies......? Huh?

1 China Yuan =

0.14 USD$

199 KWN

This makes it cheaper for China fanbases to buy Korean Albums but doesn't explain why China's Music Market is weaker than South Koreas' which you initially claimed China had more population

And despite Korean Albums being cheaper in America, the fact is, China fan bases buy massively more as fanbases outside of China barely exists when it comes to Album purchases.

Anyway, the stigma with China based sales isn't the amount of bulk sales, it's more the claims of fans trying to inflate their popularity using Album sales where it is a known factor that China based fans are doing massive purchases

• Hmmm.....

You stated in your previous comment that based on my analogy that China should have a bigger market than the US. I put a couple of reasons as to why it isn't. Not sure why you've changed now to compare China and South Korea's markets. Also, China's music market is bigger than South Korea.

Anyway, there's not much point us going back and forth. You've clearly got some negative bias around Chinese album sales. As many above have mentioned, bulk buying happens everywhere. Bizarre how it is only discredited when it comes from China.

• back in 2019 there were tons of threads like "why is skz flopping" "are stray kids the disappoinment of jyp" "does jyp not care about stray kids?" "X group is doing better than skz" "jyp should let a professional producer make skz's music" etc etc. Now everyone is mad that skz has fans like do you guys ever stfu?

• back in 2019 there were tons of threads like "why is skz flopping" "are stray kids the disappoinment of jyp" "does jyp not care about stray kids?" "X group is doing better than skz" "jyp should let a professional producer make skz's music" etc etc. Now everyone is mad that skz has fans like do you guys ever stfu?

The old akp server was full of these concerns ;judgingpepe:

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I can't believe there are people here that really thinks bulk buying only applies to chinese fans.... Omg..:pepe-joy::pepe-joy::pepe-joy::pepe-joy::pepe-joy::pepe-joy: .... These people must be living in a really nice bubbly world...

• welcome to the big leagues I guess???

it's a right of passage??

a sale is a sale regardless of whether it's from China, Korea or otherwise

• Welcome to the club! We have cookies!

:cheer-bunny:

It's the next level (does arm moves) in your ladder of success. It comes with a special power up on skepticism around your sales and your fandom and simultaneously not mattering to anyone but being constantly their topic of discussion.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• isnt it because solo fanbases in china try to compete with each other?

after bts got that van fleet award that im glad they're popular overall because you can very easily lose chinese fans/gp by doing the most innocuous thing. there's a reason jyp had to publish that tzuyu ransom apology. it's just a very tricky market.

the chinese government regulated sales to contain massbuying/stan behavior but they must be so jealous of the soft power south korea has gained over the past decade.

It was because It increased their sales a lot

;judgingpepe:

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Negative connotations seem to exist due to the volume of bulk buying and the fact that "non-shipped" albums seem to also mainly be associated with cbars. How much the latter still holds I'm not sure.

• Well it's around 20 times bigger but based on your analogy, China should slaughter America for being the biggest Music Market in the World.

The simple fact is, China based fans are notorious for bulk buying Korean albums for the sole purpose of their biases charting high or selling more than other Kpop Groups.

There is nothing wrong with fans that bulk buy but there is a problem when fans try to use those numbers to claim their bias is more popular

comment like this basically show how y'all are being brainwashed that Chinese sales = bulk buy

They are well organised to ensure there is sufficient sales number for their bias, but doesnt mean the albums are not actual sales. In many instance, those albums reach an end buyer (Chinese that buy from the bars or buyers from other countries).

So it is quite ridiculous you can generalise Chinese sales = bulk buy when literally photos and posts being made about albums being dumped on roadside in korea. So whats make korean sales =/= bulk buy but chinese = bulk buy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!