Am I the only one who don't get all this obsession with numbers

• Literally today's episode on AKP is all about "oh xxxx cant hit xxxx numbers" or "albums aren't shipped out how will it affect first week sales"

Seriously like you waited 1278481 years for a comeback and all you guys do is obsess over numbers?

Like why do you care about whether or not a group hits a certain sale number by xxxx week or whatever nonsense. You think what a group is going to disband because they didnt achieve certain made up targets by randos on the internet? Your faves won't starve and die just because they didn't reach a certain number.

You have fans and antis like having a seizure over numbers and for what?

No seriously why does it fking matter? Can someone explain it to me?

Also, just to add, I'm not attacking anyone in particular, but of course if you do feel attacked then maybe it's your self actualization that you are actually ...... that obsessed over literally NOTHING

• They probably think they are marrying their favs and all the money from those streams goes into their pockets

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• :akorns:

• idk I can only speak about my fandom, but most of our frustration and talks about album issues is because it legitimately feels like the company is either sabotaging them or just grossly incompetent.

They changed released dates in some countries and then changed them back but because of Target's system orders were at risk of getting cancelled because the release date changed twice. They have delayed shipments to stores because they left a member out of a photo. They're tweeting out messages to go out and buy the album, but there are no albums to buy. They set up some promotion with independent record stores, but no one at the stores knew anything about it. It's been a mess when all we want to do is do the same or better for them.

Most of us don't care about breaking anyone's record. We just want the best for them.

• idk I can only speak about my fandom, but most of our frustration and talks about album issues is because it legitimately feels like the company is either sabotaging them or just grossly incompetent.

They changed released dates in some countries and then changed them back but because of Target's system orders were at risk of getting cancelled because the release date changed twice. They have delayed shipments to stores because they left a member out of a photo. They're tweeting out messages to go out and buy the album, but there are no albums to buy. They set up some promotion with independent record stores, but no one at the stores knew anything about it. It's been a mess when all we want to do is do the same or better for them.

Most of us don't care about breaking anyone's record. We just want the best for them.

This, I get.

But todays episode is more of "they are sabotaging them and hence THEY CANNOT REACH A CERTAIN XXXX SALES BY XXXXX PERIOD IN XXXXX COUNTRY ON XXXXXX CONTINENT ON XXXXXX PLANET BY XXXXXXX TIME"

And I'm like nani the actual fk?

• This, I get.

But todays episode is more of "they are sabotaging them and hence THEY CANNOT REACH A CERTAIN XXXX SALES BY XXXXX PERIOD IN XXXXX COUNTRY ON XXXXXX CONTINENT ON XXXXXX PLANET BY XXXXXXX TIME"

And I'm like nani the actual fk?

yeah there's a lot of handwringing and concern trolling for no reason.

• yes I don't get the obsession with small numbers

why would even those CEO's and directors will make groups with small number of members

that's rude, weird, smells freaky fishy, and steals opportunity to debut from many kids!

fux those obsessed with small numbers!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Arguing over numbers is fun

Only if it goes your way.

People melt down when others point out things for their favs.

• I’m a failed ARMY because I know nothing about BTS stats or charts. I’m allergic to numbers. I like BTS’ music and personalities, that’s all I care about. The fact that BTS is doing well just makes it easier because I don’t have to worry about them being forced to leave the industry. Lesserafim is another group I don’t have to worry about. Kpop is entertainment and it is better entertainment than anything coming out of Hollywood now.

• The silliest thing about numbers is were talking about numbers in a subjective hobby.

Music taste and preference is highly subjective. Even if you're in it for the visual or personality, that is also subjective but somehow fans have found a way to try to objectify it by using numbers to imply certain songs are better than others or certain idols are more skilled than others is silly.

People say kpop fans are just not sports fans. No, this is not the same. Music is an art and meant to be an art and enjoyed for the purpose other than competition.

Sports is a competition in itself and there is a winning and losing. Sports stats in a sense does show whether a team is better or not. You can't do the same with kpop. A sports team wont have more wins just from having more fans.

• If you are in it just for music, then they don't matter.

But Kpop is a e-sport.. or rather e-bloodsport, where fans play some sort of fantasy football, playing their groups against each other and charts/awards are the playing field+scoreboard.

And like sports fan, deeper you get invested into Kpop, for any argument, you need to call upon some objective metrics and those are the 'numbers'.

Hardcore baseball fans can reel of batting averages, number of home runs etc., I know the same of cricket fans, basketball fans, football fans etc.,

But it is unusual in music industries, except for Kpop - hence my argument that Kpop is more a sport, than a genre or industry. A music e-bloodsport.

At least the charts and numbers are reasonable measures, the lunatic end of Kpop can compare expensive clothing, cars and even physical attributes.

It indeed can look utterly nonsensical if you are not emotionally invested into your group - not just their music, but your existence itself is defined by their performance against others. To them, it is irrelevant whether they like the music or not, in fact it might be a matter for pride that their group can win even with mediocre music or releasing very little music. What matters is the record setting numbers.

Or it is also fun for those who like playing with data, because Kpop is a rare music industry with very organized charts, giving a good source of data to analyse.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• honestly idk but sometimes I feel like people focus more on numbers than the song itself

idk it is not even about any fandom in particular it is just the discussion in general about this? I dont get it, it is kinda boring tracking numbers all the time for KPOP

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!