This Twice comeback will be a decisive moment for me as Once

• I've been supporting this group for more than 4 years now. And it wasn't always easy, especially in the last 2 years when I was hating everything JYP was doing with them.

But this comeback will finally make one thing clear for me. Which is what do girls want. See, up until now I could blame most things on JYP. But this year their contracts ended and all of them decided to renew it. And before any contract renewal there are negotiations. So what will this next comeback show me, is the determination, ambition and desire of the girls, where they see themselves.

If JYP continues doing what they are doing I will see it as being greenlit by girls and I will assume that profit is all they care about. If there is no change whatsoever or very little change, then I'll just take it as a sign that girls simply don't give a fuck and never gave a fuck and Once arming up against JYP was simply a waste of time. If that's the case then I am never gonna bother anymore with all these hardcore stanning and will just treat everything lightly. If I do see changes, then I will support them even more and hate JYP even more for all those years of Once struggle.

• Well at least they released alot of good to off set the bad, infact the ratio of good to bad for me on their title tracks are at least 80% there are only 3 title tracks im not a fan of and from those 3 there is only 2 I just don't add to my playlist.

Also even if the title track is bad they do release fun content to watch so there is that aspect :))

(and ofc they are in it for the money.. all Idols are, if they wanted to do it "for the music" they would not renew the contract and go with a smaller company and get paid alot less to release what they want)

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

• The thing is, I don't think they see any problem with it most of the time, see what they say "but they must have had their reasons no?"

Twice are too busy to really pay attention to what are, for you, criterias for a good promotion I think (idk if I'm clear enough)

• Yes as a fan I’m unimpressed I don’t like Japanese and Korean back to back too it doesn’t go well always when they did that kind of strategy I felt like they’re going downhill the only good thing they did for now is nayeon solo and the feels

• The thing is, I don't think they see any problem with it most of the time, see what they say "but they must have had their reasons no?"

Twice are too busy to really pay attention to what are, for you, criterias for a good promotion I think (idk if I'm clear enough)

True.

People need to find a narrative and stick to it, they can't have it both ways. On one hand they wanted them to promote for longer, but on the other hand Twice is overworked and JYP needs to stop putting them on every show, yes there is a middle ground to be found but seemingly they have found it, so let them live.

With scientist they were about to go on tour so cut promotions short, and this tour was handled much better than Twicelights IMO. Twicelights they had CB's whilst on tour, flew back to perform at end of year shows so no wonder members were being driven beyond what they could cope with. Now they finally learned their lesson even giving members breaks whilst on tour and not constantly promoting and its not enough.

Yes Nayeon was meant to promote a second week, but I'm glad she didn't. She was preparing for the japanese CB and this korean CB and her team thought it was too much so cut it out. Good. Its what we have been asking for, for years, for them to put the members health ahead of money and now we finally got it people are mad they aren't breaking their backs with promotions. Ya'll just spoilt with too much content and got uppity.

Also are we really out here acting like once a group renews the company is their bitch? Or am I the only one who remembers Taeyeon not being allowed by SM to sing with wiz khalifa at MAMA 2016 because SM withdrew their approval the day off and this was 2 yrs AFTER GG renewed as 9. Don't overestimate the power these groups have over companies, all companies treat idols as an inherently replaceable product no matter how huge they are.

• I agree with the sentiment behind the post but not as strongly.

I had mentioned last year or so that if all 9 decided to renew, that already is a signal to me that some members aren't as ambitious as I thought.

I'm not as enamoured as some by their musical direction in recent years and the lack of creativity in multiple aspects is really telling for me. When you come back as often a Twice do these things just stick out more and every comeback just feels less interesting than the last. Listened to their snippets today and it just gave me no reaction, complete different story to a few years ago where I'd happily make posts reviewing their albums and snippets in detail just because I'd want to discuss it.

I don't think this one comeback is enough to judge though if we are just going to get more of the same or a Twice 2.0

• I've been supporting this group for more than 4 years now. And it wasn't always easy, especially in the last 2 years when I was hating everything JYP was doing with them.

But this comeback will finally make one thing clear for me. Which is what do girls want. See, up until now I could blame most things on JYP. But this year their contracts ended and all of them decided to renew it. And before any contract renewal there are negotiations. So what will this next comeback show me, is the determination, ambition and desire of the girls, where they see themselves.

If JYP continues doing what they are doing I will see it as being greenlit by girls and I will assume that profit is all they care about. If there is no change whatsoever or very little change, then I'll just take it as a sign that girls simply don't give a fuck and never gave a fuck and Once arming up against JYP was simply a waste of time. If that's the case then I am never gonna bother anymore with all these hardcore stanning and will just treat everything lightly. If I do see changes, then I will support them even more and hate JYP even more for all those years of Once struggle.

K, bye.

They're still pop idols. They're still going to do what their company wants them to do, 2nd contract or not. Not sure why anyone wouldn't get that. They all re-signed because they trust JYPE enough to make them money, which is the only goal. If you think any pop idol cares about all the other little things that you do, you're kidding yourself. Money talks.

dollar-bills-that-is-correct.gif

Also are we really out here acting like once a group renews the company is their bitch? Or am I the only one who remembers Taeyeon not being allowed by SM to sing with wiz khalifa at MAMA 2016 because SM withdrew their approval the day off...

Oh, is that what happened? She suddenly wasn't allowed? ¬‿¬

• I would argue the Girls have had more say and control over the last few years as Industry veterans than what they had when they were Rookies

Maybe what you really liked was the more JYP controlled and Manufactured TWICE from the early days than the more independent TWICE today?

• JYPE and TWICE is actually trying to fulfill the fan wishes.

- the fans wanted to stop the long, drawn out teasers so now we have the B1&2 teaser rollout.

- they put in ADs since the fanbase wanted them

- Dahyun is going to a lot of shows before the comeback. There is also their normal magazine promotion

The only thing that suck right now is how they cut off promotions and in turn stop the hype for their songs. Nayeon can actually get that no 1 if she continued to promote for 2weeks. Celebrate could have gotten no 1 in Japan if Twice did more to promote in Japan. They should have shove the japanese girls in tv shows in japan to continue the celebrate hype. There is no reason whatsoever to promote as a group when you can have them individually promote twice music.

Honestly, I wish for them to focus in their individual growth. I don't understand why the fandom hate for some of the girls to go to acting. It will just start up fan resentment when one person actively promotes and be everywhere while the others are nowhere to be found. At least when there is an actress in the group, they can shoot their drama while waiting for the solo act to be done with her promotions. And TWICE need an IT girl to be more talk about.

• I would argue the Girls have had more say and control over the last few years as Industry veterans than what they had when they were Rookies

Maybe what you really liked was the more JYP controlled and Manufactured TWICE from the early days than the more independent TWICE today?

I definitely prefer the early period where the image was more controlled and company directed.

But I'm like this with all groups. I prefer the first couple years where the whole ethos is highly company directed and managed. . It generally has a cohesive vision later years lack in my opinion.

That's one of the things that attracted me to kpop initially. The heavy top down company control, at least for early years of groups.

• Honestly, I wish for them to focus in their individual growth. I don't understand why the fandom hate for some of the girls to go to acting. It will just start up fan resentment when one person actively promotes and be everywhere while the others are nowhere to be found. At least when there is an actress in the group, they can shoot their drama while waiting for the solo act to be done with her promotions.

That might sound nice in theory, but it doesn't really work in reality. Once you have more and more members doing solo activities, it becomes harder and harder for their schedules to all align for group activities. It's really not as simple as "You do this while I do that, then we regroup." It's more like "You do that, and I'll do this... And maybe that also... Oh, you have to do this too? And she's doing that? Maybe we can work something out in a year or two." Meanwhile there will more than likely still be members doing mostly nothing.

• since their faces are not in dramas or varieties, it's no wonder twice kind of disappear when there is no comeback promo. But ads can do this kind of free promo for the girls:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

so i don't know why the girls ads are so little but I'm hoping there is a reason for it (like jype curating their image as luxurious brand ambassadors)

• That might sound nice in theory, but it doesn't really work in reality. Once you have more and more members doing solo activities, it becomes harder and harder for their schedules to all align for group activities. It's really not as simple as "You do this while I do that, then we regroup." It's more like "You do that, and I'll do this... And maybe that also... Oh, you have to do this too? And she's doing that? Maybe we can work something out in a year or two." Meanwhile there will more than likely still be members doing mostly nothing.

sistar did this at their peak. dasom - drama, soyou & hyorin - promoting as solos, and bora in variety and they comeback every summer.

snsd also did this when they were still busy promoting as a group. yoona was the designated fotg and got dramas to promote the group, sunny, yuri did variety & taeyeon did osts and they comeback as a group.

It's better for the group if they are continually being talked about. the problem with Twice they kind of disappear when they stop promoting so even if their kfans promote them in forums like theqoo or pann, it will not gain as much traction as the other trendy group. As fans, we know what they are doing because they give a lot of fan content but non fans will not.

• Why are you so angry, chill. Nayeon's promo for her solo is pretty good

True about nayeon she’ll be at top 1 if they didn’t cut the promotion early

• I definitely prefer the early period where the image was more controlled and company directed.

But I'm like this with all groups. I prefer the first couple years where the whole ethos is highly company directed and managed. . It generally has a cohesive vision later years lack in my opinion.

That's one of the things that attracted me to kpop initially. The heavy top down company control, at least for early years of groups.

I Like your honesty, but to be fair, I think I may have led you down the wrong Rabbit Hole with my comment which was more of a jab at OP's expense

I think you simply preferred the Decisions being made at the beginning of TWICE, more than the decisions being made in the latter half of their Career to date.

I don't have definitive proof that the difference is primarily the result of giving the idols more Agency like my comment implied, or even that a Company's hold over the Image/Direction of their Group is at all lessened at any point of a Groups Career

Either way there is nothing unusual about your opinion, I have a very similar one when it comes to TV series and Movie Franchises, they almost always lose their appeal after the first couple of seasons for me

And it never seems to be because the shows formula got stale like some people assume, it is because the shows became unrecognizable to me and I questioned why I even watched them anymore

They changed too much

• True about nayeon she’ll be at top 1 if they didn’t cut the promotion early

right? Div3 should just focus on one thing and do it well. This back and forth between solo, japan & korea is a disservice to twice. I don't understand their scheduling. It's as if they don't expect the songs to hit big so they just scheduled it so close to each other and since they have behind the scenes preparations the promos are sacrifice.

• right? Div3 should just focus on one thing and do it well. This back and forth between solo, japan & korea is a disservice to twice. I don't understand their scheduling. It's as if they don't expect the songs to hit big so they just scheduled it so close to each other and since they have behind the scenes preparations the promos are sacrifice.

that’s what I’m saying they keep doing this and lost the monumentom of twice if they just stop doing back to back and just do one comeback in japan we might see increase and I am not sure if they doing it correctly like twice can prolly have more numbers even in just one comeback in japan universal studio isn’t even doing good with twice they just keep releasing and releasing there’s no surprise factor now with twice glad they have loyal fans but they can have more if it’s done properly

• now twice is stuck at 100k to 300k in japan when they can do more just release a freaking one album in japan I’m not sure universal and jyp doesn’t know how to build some hype. I mean if they really want that money so much then release some merch or photo book unlike keep releasing music back to back which is hurting twice popularity and monumentom sad to say we can do more

• that’s what I’m saying they keep doing this and lost the monumentom of twice if they just stop doing back to back and just do one comeback in japan we might see increase and I am not sure if they doing it correctly like twice can prolly have more numbers even in just one comeback in japan universal studio isn’t even doing good with twice they just keep releasing and releasing there’s no surprise factor now with twice glad they have loyal fans but they can have more if it’s done properly

I don't understand why are they putting out Japanese albums at all at this point. They clearly don't sell as well anymore as during handshake periods. Why bother for 100k sales when you can sell 10 times more with Korean comeback. It is a waste of time and money.

• now twice is stuck at 100k to 300k in japan when they can do more just release a freaking one album in japan I’m not sure universal and jyp doesn’t know how to build some hype. I mean if they really want that money so much then release some merch or photo book unlike keep releasing music back to back which is hurting twice popularity and monumentom sad to say we can do more

The 100k is actually good because it reverses the trend of them only selling 80k in a week in Oricon. I think Celebrate is their only japanese song to chart in top 10 of apple music, spotify and it charted well in amazon music & recochoku. After they did that music show, their digital ranking jumped.

If they continued to promote, give the celebrate comeback time and attention, they could have gotten a #1 japanese comeback. They should have been more flexible and just give the willing members variety schedules to promote the song.

• For reference this is how their japanese songs do in digital in Japan

So it's extra annoying as a fan to see div3 not continuing the promo. It stops the song's momentum. Why release a japanese anniversary song if they don't want to commit to it? The scheduling sucks.

• I don't understand why are they putting out Japanese albums at all at this point. They clearly don't sell as well anymore as during handshake periods. Why bother for 100k sales when you can sell 10 times more with Korean comeback. It is a waste of time and money.

There always has to be a cost for fan acquisition and retention. Sure just going Korean would make more money but it's a big FU to the Japanese fans. Plus their Japanese tracks are some of the best in Twice's discography.

It's the same reason why Toyota doesn't sell only Corolla and Camrys or McDonald's don't just sell only BigMacs.
    If it's one or the other, then sure Korean is the way to go but it doesn't have to be, they can do both.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!