YG not planning to take legal action against 2NE1

• *sigh* They better not

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

protector of the gharqad tree

tumblr_lkl136Bxsg1qbvbvxo1_500.gif

• Ohh the girls didn’t ask YG? Lol! That’s

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just hope YG won’t cry

External Content youtu.be

Anyway, good move YG. That stage had very positive reaction that is good for 2ne1 and YGE. Suing will make it look bad on YG

• It's not like it was advertised as part of the lineup to sell tickets and they didn't even use any logos or anything during the performance. :pepe-shrug:

• w8 something happened?

No. Nothing happened. A media outlet asked YG if they were going to take legal action and YG said no. There were never any plans to despite how the headline is worded.

YG owns the 2NE1 name and discography. They (CL, Dara, Minzy and Bom) technically can't make any money or benefit off of it. YG owns the trademark. They can't perform it or put it in an album.

YG actually has GD, Taeyang and T.O.P's names trademarked and is owned by YG because they're stage names. That came up in their first contract renewal.

Just like YG owns 'Love Scenario' and even though B.I wrote and produced it and it's the biggest song he's known for, he can't perform it or benefit off of it without YG sanctioning it. Although he still receives royalties.

Any song recorded, whether it's released or a demo, that you record while under contract at YG is owned by the label. Even if it's so much as lyrics written on a scratch piece of paper...while under contract it is owned by YG.

Full article:

JoongAng Ilbo

What is a trademark? 2NE1 secretly appeared at an American music festival

Enter 2022.05.10. 12:03 am
      Modified 2022.05.10. 12:05 am

profile_080848698.jpg?type=nf112_112
    Reporter Bae Jeong-won

0003193613_001_20220510062515761.jpg?type=w430view original

Girl group 2NE1 made a surprise appearance last month at the Coachella Festival, the largest music festival in the United States. Park Bom, Gong Minji, CL, and Sandara Park (from left) performed on stage as a 'complete' after 7 years. [Coachella = AP · Yonhap News]

Last month, the highlight of Coachella, America's largest music festival, was the girl group 2NE1 's 'I'm the Best' stage. Park Bom, Sandara Park, and Gong Min-ji made a surprise appearance at the CL performance , and stood on stage as a 'complete' after 7 years. Overseas audiences cheered as the unfortunate K-pop idols who unfortunately disbanded were reunited. Rolling Stone, an American music magazine, selected 2NE1 's stage as one of 'This year's Coachella's best scene'.

However, this performance was prepared in secret. This is because all four members have left their existing agency, YG Entertainment, and are currently working at different agencies. We can all sing together, but we need YG 's permission to use 2NE1 to run a paid-for business such as performances . Or the trademark rights must be transferred. If you use 2NE1 's name in concert promotions or new albums without these procedures , you may be involved in a trademark infringement lawsuit. This is why the stage of the whole group was carefully prepared without publicity. However , an official from YG Entertainment said, "We have no special position to disclose about 2NE1 's performance," and said, "We have no plans to take legal action."

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• yg is trash

this should not even have been an issue for 2ne1

coachella (and other event) contract probably has provisions about ip ownership/use

hopefully the girls did not violate such terms

• yg is trash

this should not even have been an issue for 2ne1

coachella (and other event) contract probably has provisions about ip ownership/use

hopefully the girls did not violate such terms

It's fine and all the f YG as always but this headline is making something out of nothing.

• these entertainment companies are so shitty for keeping the trademark rights to themselves

Well they're pretty much benevolent if they allow them to.

Maybe the label can share with them? But they are no longer under contract so the label is not obligated to.

CL can still get royalties from YG songs she wrote.

If CL, Dara, Minzy and Bom were the only ones who produced their music, cultivated their image, invested in promotions and spent money on producing tours and manufacturing their albums...then yes.

But these aren't independent arists.

There's a literal army of people and employees that built it. Not just 4 people. And they were/are employed by YG.

These are businesses. They get a return on their investment until it's no longer profitable.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited 2 times, last by Blue2012 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!