It is okay to admit your fave are appealing to the west

• it is not a conspiracy theory that some popular groups want to be bigger in the west so they release music that 15 year old girls would like. Catchy songs with weird english lyrics that dont make sense when you read them is basically what some groups are releasing and hey theres nothing wrong with that but at the same time you guys need to stop lying here and saying kpop hasn't always been appealing to west, look at wonder girls with nobody and so on.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• it is not a conspiracy theory that some popular groups want to be bigger in the west so they release music that 15 year old girls would like. Catchy songs with weird english lyrics that dont make sense when you read them is basically what some groups are releasing and hey theres nothing wrong with that but at the same time you guys need to stop lying here and saying kpop hasn't always been appealing to west, look at wonder girls with nobody and so on.

I just dont understand why people care so much, so long as you're rich and famous I could care less if it was in Korea or America or mars tbh

:pepe-cowboy:

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• What I don't get is how people use the term "appealing to the west", they think that automatically means the group/company wants random US citizens on their forties to have heard about them, like do people really think groups like SuperM debuting with Jopping promoted on the US to sound on the radio? Kpop is about bulding a fandom 99% of the time, no matter the part of the world.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• It's not bad per se. But many like K-pop because it's different from what we get back home. The more they try to appeal to the west the lesser is the difference. So if they change their style just to appeal to the West, many may dislike it. (As an example, I don't want IU to change her style just to appeal to the West).

But it is nothing non-fans should be worrying about. If you don't like them, why do you care? It's more for fans that like their current style.

• What I don't get is how people use the term "appealing to the west", they think that automatically means the group/company wants random US citizens on their forties to have heard about them, like do people really think groups like SuperM debuting with Jopping promoted on the US to sound on the radio? Kpop is about bulding a fandom 99% of the time, no matter the part of the world.

I just came back to say that I love Mark's rap in Jopping kkkk

Exactly. 'Appealing to a western audience' doesn't mean trying to get airplay on Missouri's Country music radio station. Kpop is global anyway.

I swear we don't have this kind of controversy over 'kpop is trying to appeal to Japan/China'.

• Exactly. 'Appealing to a western audience' doesn't mean trying to get airplay on Missouri's Country music radio station. Kpop is global anyway.

I swear we don't have this kind of controversy over 'kpop is trying to appeal to Japan/China'.

Bc their faves have a decent success in Japan/China, but not that much attention in the west which makes them "annoyed". I think.

• Bc their faves have a decent success in Japan/China, but not that much attention in the west which makes them "annoyed". I think.

I think so too honestly.

They don't bat an eye over songs being written in japanese, or even full albums sometimes, but you put a couple of english songs on your album, and suddenly you're a traitor to the entire kpop genre :eek:

• Because for some stans the English language market is the only one that matters. In their books K-Pop didn't exist until it got popular in the US.

I think it's more than the language to be honest. A lot of kpop stans just don't like that kpop is growing the west. As if it somehow made it less 'pure' or Idk.

• I think so too honestly.

They don't bat an eye over songs being written in japanese, or even full albums sometimes, but you put a couple of english songs on your album, and suddenly you're a traitor to the entire kpop genre :eek:

I don't wanna sound rude, BUUUUUT I think it's more about they don't believe their faves can be successful there and they hate that 2 kgroups are constantly praised ww when their faves are just there in the air. And they are "jealous" about the west. Like "they are mine, you shouldn't touch them" which is super childish.

• I don't get the obsession to put down the groups that try to appeal to the west either, it all just sounds like salty superiority talk

let them try what they want to raise their popularity or make some more bank

• Because for some stans the English language market is the only one that matters. In their books K-Pop didn't exist until it got popular in the US.

No, I think it's 50/50. The ones who think their faves doesn't make music to appeal to the masses are just hypocrite when the concepts changed dramatically and everybody and their moms are appearing in "english" magazines and interviews.

• I can see it that way. I think a lot of ARMY and Blinks focus too much on BTS and Blackpink's success in the western market to prove their superiority over their peers and predecessors and invalidate their own success which in turn makes fans of those groups use becoming "westernized" as a way to invalidate BTS and Blackpink. It's all a giant circular argument that makes everyone look dumb as hell.

Like I said some folks just focus too much on the wrong stuff. I don't think people really realize what an achievement it is to have ANY Asian person on American television regardless of if they're singing in Korean or English. Every single K-Pop group or artist who takes a step in any international market is just pushing the industry forward and to new heights.

That's fair. There are definitely some fans ( *cough cough* success stans ) who acts as if western validation was the beginning and the end of it all.

Also definitely agree with your second paragraphe. Nothing to add,

• they way you are degrading 15 year olds saying they only like cringe lyrics and acting like 24 years old don't like cringe lyrics.

Also your fav group doesn't have lyrics that are cringe??? Or they are considered cringe only if it's in english?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!