these noisy songs lately aren’t “experimental”

• im not a fan or anti of any of these groups, before we begin. mentioned: aespa, purple kiss, ive

let’s be honest and call it what it is.

aespa have not only popularized but made a trend out of mushing together multiple very different songs at once, usually with big vocal moments

other 4th gen groups started jumping on the “experimental” trend and ive was even able to add to this trend with changing the tempo during eleven

so why are we still calling these songs “experimental”? they’re clearly not. it’s not an experiment, and at this point most of these songs are extremely derivative.

purple kiss’s memem is a great example of this. people called it “experimental” because they want to be nice and that sounds a lot better than “noisy” or “trying aespa’s style

and that’s not shade to pk, like i said a ton of 4th gen girl groups are trying to emulate that style, it IS a trend. that’s not like a plagiarism accusation, just in case someone gets upset.

calling memem “experimental” when it was trying to be multiple songs in one like savage, changing the tempo like in ive, etc… it’s not an experiment is it? it’s extremely derivative of hit songs that came out WITHIN THE YEAR.

noisy songs, songs that sound like multiple all mushed together, changing the tempo… maybe before that was “experimental” but now it’s trendy, thanks almost entirely to aespa.

my only hope is some groups start bringing something original to this trend, and not just putting out derivative songs like memem.

these “experimental” songs aren’t experimental. they’re trendy and mostly derivative.

• I've eleven was neither noisy or experimental

It's a good pop song

People literally call everything noisy and experimental these days

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Structure wise or instrument wise there's literally nothing "experimental" or "noisy" about Eleven. It's got a couple tempo changes, that's the only thing deviating from a normal kpop song. And still, it's not the first or second time there's a kpop song with a blatant tempo change (another one that does it is Express 999 by SNSD which, btw, BOP. One of their best songs).

I like to assume that people mean "experimental for kpop" when they call a kpop song "experimental". Sticker by NCT 127 could arguably be called experimental for kpop because of its instrumental, but for example its structure is in line with other kpop songs. In comparison, their song Punch has a structure that could be considered "experimental", but a sound that has been done a lot of times before in kpop.

And some kpop fans just like to label everything and anything they dislike or don't understand as "noisy". For them, synth/bass over a trap beat = omg construction music. Like, get over it.

• alt account?

Anyway, I agree with OP's take. The experimental label is now slapped on everything that just follows the trend that aespa has set. If "experimental" can be used to some extent to describe aespa, and even NMIXX (not for the better), it doesn't really apply to IVE or Purple Kiss' last comeback.

I mean, you need more than messing with the pace of the song to be experimental. ELEVEN remains a very cohesive song; there's nothing jarring in the way it's put together. Same for memeM; it just slows things down for no reason, killing the momentum for nothing.

• I've eleven was neither noisy or experimental

It's a good pop song

People literally call everything noisy and experimental these days

it wasn’t noisy but it did have an experimental element which was the tempo change. people are still divided on whether they like it.

• Structure wise or instrument wise there's literally nothing "experimental" or "noisy" about Eleven. It's got a couple tempo changes, that's the only thing deviating from a normal kpop song. And still, it's not the first or second time there's a kpop song with a blatant tempo change (another one that does it is Express 999 by SNSD which, btw, BOP. One of their best songs).

I like to assume that people mean "experimental for kpop" when they call a kpop song "experimental". Sticker by NCT 127 could arguably be called experimental for kpop because of its instrumental, but for example its structure is in line with other kpop songs. In comparison, their song Punch has a structure that could be considered "experimental", but a sound that has been done a lot of times before in kpop.

And some kpop fans just like to label everything and anything they dislike or don't understand as "noisy". For them, synth/bass over a trap beat = omg construction music. Like, get over it.

i didn’t say eleven was noisy. i said it brought something new to the “experimental” trend aka the tempo change

i love noisy music. i don’t like derivative trend chasing like memem

• Problem is that if aespa would release memeM then high schoolers will be squirting from happiness in Korea

Even if K/DA would release this song world will preach it.

It's just 'brand', plus Purki's new song sounds delicious on headphones.

do you make a habit of making sexual comments about high schoolers? blocked immediately.

• alt account?

Anyway, I agree with OP's take. The experimental label is now slapped on everything that just follows the trend that aespa has set. If "experimental" can used fairly accurately to describe aespa, and even NMIXX (not for the better), it doesn't really apply to IVE or Purple Kiss' last comeback.

I mean, you need more than messing with the pace of the song to be experimental. ELEVEN remains a very cohesive song; there's nothing jarring in the way it's put together. Same for memeM; it just slows things down for no reason, killing the momentum for nothing.

i didn’t say eleven was experimental. i said they brought something new to the trend aka the tempo change.

• I'm all for experimental music. As long as it sounds good.

I think the A&R reps for certain KPOP companies need to learn that not every trend can be emulated successfully by every group. Haven't heard Purple Kiss's song. Makes me want to check it out now.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• i didn’t say eleven was experimental. i said they brought something new to the trend aka the tempo change.

You said: "other 4th gen groups started jumping on the “experimental” trend and ive was even able to add to this trend with changing the tempo during eleven"

So yes, in a way you implied that IVE was part of this current "experimental" trend. But I don't get why you think they added anything considering aespa did the tempo change before them.

If anything, IVE took a step back from the experimental shenanigans and delivered a song that makes sense, which is a blessing these days.

• I'm all for experimental music. As long as it sounds good.

I think the A&R reps for certain KPOP companies need to learn that not every trend can be emulated successfully by every group. Haven't heard Purple Kiss's song. Makes me want to check it out now.

it has a cool but trendy (so kind of generic) instrumental, the main rapper didn’t get to rap despite it being the perfect song for it?, they tried to make it sound like 5 songs in one and only half of them meshed well together… and they randomly changed the tempo in the second pre chorus but it’s extremely out of place and makes the song feel LONG. speaking of “out of place” they put two big notes in the song that would sound good in a different song but sound messy and out of place in the memem track.

there were a few good moments but… i’d like to hear your thoughts!

• You said: "other 4th gen groups started jumping on the “experimental” trend and ive was even able to add to this trend with changing the tempo during eleven"

So yes, in a way you implied that IVE was part of this current "experimental" trend. But I don't get why you think they added anything considering aespa did the tempo change before them.

If anything, IVE took a step back from the experimental shenanigans and delivered a song that makes sense, which is a blessing these days.

that doesn’t imply them jumping on the trend at all lol like you literally quoted me. i literally said “other 4th gen groups started jumping on the “experimental” trend and ive was even able to add to this trend”

and even now that i’ve reiterated this for you, you’re still trying to explain how they’re “not experimental” like i JUST said i know that and agree and wasn’t calling them experimental. clearly you just have some issue where you think that’s what other people think about that song.

i don’t think it’s noisy or experimental and didn’t say it was.

• that doesn’t imply them jumping on the trend at all lol like you literally quoted me. i literally said “other 4th gen groups started jumping on the “experimental” trend and ive was even able to add to this trend”

In the same sentence, you mention "other 4th gen groups" and "IVE" with no "but" in between. You said IVE added to current trend yet they're not part of it? It makes very little sense. Don't blame me for

your ambiguous phrasing.

You may take your facepalm back.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!