Is it wrong to say that international fans prefer girl crush music?

• I often see people here say companies no longer do cute concept because international fans prefer harder concepts. However, Twice just has a song on Billboard 100 with The Feels, and they sell out tours easily in the US even though their music is far from girl crush. Blackpink’s concept is girl crush and they do well in the US, but there’s also no other girl crush groups also charting like they do in the US, so we can’t say all girl crush groups will do well internationally. So is it wrong to say international fans prefer one kind of music/concept to others? Seems like they’ll like any concept as long as it fits their taste.

• TWICE are the exception to the rule, and even then they've had songs lean more "darker" ie: ICSM.

There's a reason why darker/girl-crush groups like Dreamcatcher, Everglow have better streams & make more noise internationally than groups like, say, fromis_9

I mean literally just look at CLC, no one really cared about them until they switched to a more badass/edgy concept & sound.

• Cute is reserved for children in western cultures I suppose. It’s not something that’s part of the culture of itself.

and let me add that koreans like aegyo and westerners just don't get it, they find it embarrassing and it makes them uncomfortable.

i definitely don't like cute concepts. with the exception of the feels i cannot think of any cute concept song that i like

• Cute is reserved for children in western cultures I suppose. It’s not something that’s part of the culture of itself.

But this song is a hit in America and it’s cute tho? Its sound is quite bubblegum, pink and cute.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it is mostly accurate. Some of the crushy groups have fashion and music production with a broader appeal and is more similar to "adult contemporary" Pop music. Cuteness isn't an overarching cultural norm in my area and is usually associated with teen/"bubble gum" Pop.

But this song is a hit in America and it’s cute tho? Its sound is quite bubblegum, pink and cute.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It leans a little "bubblegummy", production wise, but those lyrics are hella grown.

• But this song is a hit in America and it’s cute tho? Its sound is quite bubblegum, pink and cute.

whatthehell.gif

Umm...have you, perchance, perused the lyrics to the "cutesy" Doja song?

If a Kpop GG came out with a song like Kiss Me More, their careers would be over. 8|8|

• But this song is a hit in America and it’s cute tho? Its sound is quite bubblegum, pink and cute.

Well Doja Cat and SZA are huge artists that don't usually make super pop music. Doja is quite versatile with roots in rap and hiphop. SZA has been doing RnB and Soul since forever. They are huge artists in the west, and no one is listening to it for it's "cute bubblegum pinkness", people are listening to it because it's catchy and because it's Doja Cat and SZA we love them. Btw it's not "bubblegum" it's more like a pop song with RnB/Soul/Rap, it's a mixture of very popular genres here in the west.

Are you telling me this is the same as gee or cheer up eye-

I rephrase innocent cutesy concepts are not liked. For example making cutesy faces and having cutesy dance moves. That’s for children.

Pink aesthetics isn’t the point. Nor is it bubble gum pop. It’s how the idols market themselves. It’s perceived as juvenile.

• and let me add that koreans like aegyo and westerners just don't get it, they find it embarrassing and it makes them uncomfortable.

i definitely don't like cute concepts. with the exception of the feels i cannot think of any cute concept song that i like

For me it became the opposite. I enjoy cute concepts now and have broadened my horizons and am turned off by the overly explicit things I was consuming in western media.

Well it’s the balance I suppose. Kek.

• Are you telling me this is the same as gee or cheer up eye-

I rephrase innocent cutesy concepts are not liked. For example making cutesy faces and having cutesy dance moves. That’s for children.

Pink aesthetics isn’t the point. Nor is it bubble gum pop. It’s how the idols market themselves. It’s perceived as juvenile.

"N... wishing the P#$$% was a kissing booth"

I mean that is a line you would hear from Apink or Oh My Girl, right?

Everyone already mentioned the lyrics, but they literally insinuate a threesome near the end of the vid... :pepestare:

And the whole thing is a fake video game simulation and they're just holding a bunch of dudes captive... :pepestare:

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

Do you really think that lyrics like "all on my tongue I want it" are remotely similar to what cute girl groups are singing :pepe-life-support:

Pretty pink aesthetics /=/ cute

• remember that one has to look at preferences from a GP perspective and not from a fandom perspective...

you don't take kpop fans then determine cute v GC

you need to look at the overall population and in those instances GC is preferred more than cute concepts

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!