about billboard new rule about sales

• what is criteria and how they even determine which sales are fake or whatever?

because there is some big filtering right here

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

even Christmas tree was able t debut easily at #1 in this chart while stay alive has much more push by fans :zipr:

• Billboard did something good for once. Waiting for payola and radio weighting fix

For sure. Radio seems completely dependent on label payola. I know radio airplay is supposed to depend on organic public interest (gp voting online or calling in to request a song) but isnt it all based on how much airplay the labels buy for their artists?

• Billboard did something good for once. Waiting for payola and radio weighting fix

you really think bb is going to fix payola and radio?

Those two things are the only reasons most western artists here in the U.S. are charting.

Billboard didn't do the sales rule because they wanted their charts to have more accuracy, if they really cared about that, they would have gotten rid of radio or payola first.

• For sure. Radio seems completely dependent on label payola. I know radio airplay is supposed to depend on organic public interest (gp voting online or calling in to request a song) but isnt it all based on how much airplay the labels buy for their artists?

yup, I mean, when was the last time you requested a song on the radio? No one really does that anymore.

And sometimes they don't listen when people request for a specific song.

• you really think bb is going to fix payola and radio?

Those two things are the only reasons most western artists here in the U.S. are charting.

Billboard didn't do the sales rule because they wanted their charts to have more accuracy, if they really cared about that, they would have gotten rid of radio or payola first.

I said I'm waiting not that I think they will change it

Tbh I don’t necessarily think those are wrong metrics. When a song is on the radio a lot that means more people have heard it even if it was unknowingly. If a chart represents how popular it is, radio directly contributes to that. Same with playlisting.

You view paid as rigging the system but paying more makes you more popular is a matter of fact. And I believe that should still be represented on the charts.

To give some example if artist A is able to get 50 ppl to listen to their music “organically”. And artist B only 30. But if B is from a popular company that can pay for radio plays and now 100 ppl have been listening to artist B because of being forced on the radio : whether it’s paid or not more people have listened to B than A which the chart should very much represent.

Radio play and playlisting will never go away. And they shouldn’t.

They would never, smh payola and radio can mess with the chart even more than bulk buying but bb don’t care about being accurate lol this rule change just comes off more elite trying to hurt bts charting than anything else

• They would never, smh payola and radio can mess with the chart even more than bulk buying but bb don’t care about being accurate lol this rule change just comes off more elite trying to hurt bts charting than anything else

Not only BTS

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't entirely disagree. Radio should be represented but I feel like the points for it are overweighted and should be more about the streams considering we are in streaming era.

• Not only BTS

Yeah it's just not BTS, but their fans mass bought way more than any other act + BB lowkey shaded them so I guess that's why people think it's directed towards them.

Though it will also affect artists like Taylor & Nicki, both acts who have fandoms who are known for being dedicated when it comes to mass buying. I mean I see Barbz & Swifites all over Twitter :pepe-life-support:

Nicki probably could've gotten #1 over Encanto if the old rules were still in effect.

• I don't entirely disagree. Radio should be represented but I feel like the points for it are overweighted and should be more about the streams considering we are in streaming era.

No I don’t think so. Esp hypocritical considering how much kpop fans like unique listeners. Whether it’s paid or not more unique people are “forced” to listen to a song on the radio and more ppl knowing a song should always remain the important criteria for charting.

Yeah I may be dedicated in streaming my fav artist organically but everyone knows a Taylor song cuz it’s always on the radio (just an example) and the charts are correctly controlled by that as much as you organically going and listening to it….because regardless of whether something is forced or not : it increases the number of ppl who know the song

• what is criteria and how they even determine which sales are fake or whatever?

because there is some big filtering right here

even Christmas tree was able t debut easily at #1 in this chart while stay alive has much more push by fans :zipr:

Give us a little bit. We'll figure it out and work around the change in rules. Whenever Billboard changes its rules, it takes ARMY a couple of tries to work out what exactly BB did with their data and adjust for it.

• Give us a little bit. We'll figure it out and work around the change in rules. Whenever Billboard changes its rules, it takes ARMY a couple of tries to work out what exactly BB did with their data and adjust for it.

BTS is going to have website sales and remixes to help for hot100, Jungkook only had itunes, amazon? But I'm surprised at how much they filtered the sales because his song was #1 on US itunes for the major part of the week

Blackpink will be like Jungkook, they don't have website sales (except IC and HYLT too I think) or remixes so it will be more compliacted for them I think but let's see...

• I don't see how the title and tweet are correlated?? Am i missing something??

We need to look at the sales to see if bb has filtered anything. These positions are relative according to the competition that week. They don't tell us much.

And going by what they said earlier, this will only affect the website sales. I don't think anyone can buy 10 copies from stores like itunes?? So why should they be filtered? So why will any additional sales be filtered for stay alive?

We need to look at the sales to see if bb has filtered anything. These positions are relative according to the competition that week. They don't tell us much.

And going by what they said earlier, this will only affect the website sales. I don't think anyone can buy 10 copies from stores like itunes?? So why should they be filtered? So why will any additional sales be filtered for stay alive?

Fans can use multiple itunes accounts. Not anymore.

• No I don’t think so. Esp hypocritical considering how much kpop fans like unique listeners. Whether it’s paid or not more unique people are “forced” to listen to a song on the radio and more ppl knowing a song should always remain the important criteria for charting.

Yeah I may be dedicated in streaming my fav artist organically but everyone knows a Taylor song cuz it’s always on the radio (just an example) and the charts are correctly controlled by that as much as you organically going and listening to it….because regardless of whether something is forced or not : it increases the number of ppl who know the song

but you're saying the charts should reflect how much money a label puts into making a song "known" whether it hits big or not, that's not accuracy either. At all. There are songs with a barely there response from audiences in terms of streaming and digital sales who chart decently because radio plays them all day long. Does that mean people actually like it? or even know what it's called? Radio should not be allowed to accept payola, they should play songs based on listener response ideally but that's not the case. As of now, radio is the most commonly used tool for labels to ensure a decent chart performance for their big artists no matter the actual response to the song.

• Do you know the numbers of remixes that Western celebrities release to chart ? You would be surprised and this is an on-going issue for years.

remixes were not the problem because they still count but it was the excessive buying by bts fans. Butter was no.1 for 10 weeks and then out of the chart in 20 weeks. That is just next level and billboard can't take out remixes so they attacked multiple copies. Remixes still count. I'm worried about blackpink tho bcs it will be really tough to chart without an english song.

• i guess we will see when they release the number of units sold today

if its less than christmas tree then it got filtered

also some kpop fans are very interested in bts US charting i see :pepe-tea:

Would christmas tree also have the sales from instrumental ver counting together? Do you know? Stay alive doesn't have an instrumental so it's total sales could be lower. But it also has a bigger part of ARMYs engaged so it can have more too lol.

• but you're saying the charts should reflect how much money a label puts into making a song "known" whether it hits big or not, that's not accuracy either. At all. There are songs with a barely there response from audiences in terms of streaming and digital sales who chart decently because radio plays them all day long. Does that mean people actually like it? or even know what it's called? Radio should not be allowed to accept payola, they should play songs based on listener response ideally but that's not the case. As of now, radio is the most commonly used tool for labels to ensure a decent chart performance for their big artists no matter the actual response to the song.

who said any one was trying to find a song people "liked" tho? Popularity has nothing to do with liking or not liking. Disliked things can be very popular too. I can even say people don't like kpop songs they just want to support pretty kpop idols so it's not valid and they should stop charting unlike "organic" western hits of indie artists or whatever:pepepizza:

Point is a chart tracks how popular i.e known a song. You can pay for a song to be played everywhere and it will be more popular.

Money makes you more popular no to ways about it.

• Just stan flops so that you don't need to worry about charting

Stream my flops faves juseyo

External Content www.youtube.com

• remixes were not the problem because they still count but it was the excessive buying by bts fans. Butter was no.1 for 10 weeks and then out of the chart in 20 weeks. That is just next level and billboard can't take out remixes so they attacked multiple copies. Remixes still count. I'm worried about blackpink tho bcs it will be really tough to chart without an english song.

That's because Butter went recurrent. After charting for 20 weeks on a chart any song needs to be i think top 25 for it to continue charting otherwise it goes recurrent. You might not be aware of this rule as BP haven't had any songs charting for so long.

• remixes were not the problem because they still count but it was the excessive buying by bts fans. Butter was no.1 for 10 weeks and then out of the chart in 20 weeks. That is just next level and billboard can't take out remixes so they attacked multiple copies. Remixes still count. I'm worried about blackpink tho bcs it will be really tough to chart without an english song.

As RM said himself, if BB was not happy with what happened, it was up to them to change the rules, they did it and now BTS will chart accordingly to these new rules. I am actually satisfied with that and excited about their new album.

I can't say much about BP, I just casually follow them.

8zf-yB.gif   

• That's because Butter went recurrent. After charting for 20 weeks on a chart any song needs to be i think top 25 for it to continue charting otherwise it goes recurrent. You might not be aware of this rule as BP haven't had any songs charting for so long.

I'm aware of the rule. It still doesn't change the fact that bts spend 15 out of 20 weeks in top 10 of hot 100. That's why my point was about excessive buying.

• Does anyone remember what exactly billboard said? Cause tbh I got the impression that the changing of the rulres applied only to results for hot100 and if so it means that this exact chart in the tweet has nothing to do with it so can someone clarify this? Also to compare this release with Tae's one you need to give nuances, like for example, how many hours or dates both songs spent on #1 itunes to see if it went better or on par or worse to understand if there was indeed some filtering. Also other releases on that period could just do better since no matter how much company pushes and how much you think fans push the release of full group would generate the whole power of the fandom to overcome everything while when it's anything less than ot7 definitely not everyone will turn in and thus it might just not be enough.

• who said any one was trying to find a song people "liked" tho? Popularity has nothing to do with liking or not liking. Disliked things can be very popular too. I can even say people don't like kpop songs they just want to support pretty kpop idols so it's not valid and they should stop charting unlike "organic" western hits of indie artists or whatever:pepepizza:

Point is a chart tracks how popular i.e known a song. You can pay for a song to be played everywhere and it will be more popular.

Money makes you more popular no to ways about it.

no, sorry but that makes no sense. Plenty of people listen to the radio and don't remember any of the songs, it's not just about like and dislike, it's also indifference. There's songs played on the radio that if you ask on the street people won't be able to identify. That's not popularity, that's artificially inflated performance for the charts.

• its the same people who shade/downplay bts unprovoked in random threads and i just hope these people are aware of this fact and how they behave

#self_awareness

I will be honest : I understand nothing or almost to this chart discussion because I don't even care about it but I decided to defend BTS more actively now on every subject as some became brave and began to shade them unprovoked while acting all righteous and claiming that ARMY are bullies.

8zf-yB.gif   

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!