Did SNSD secure huge hits their whole career?

• some say that twice shouldn’t be ngg anymore because of their charting n that other groups are better, but was snsd always the top gg in charting and getting huge hits? Because they were always the ngg and nobody debates it

• INTW

Genie

Gee

Oh

RDR

The Boys

IGAB

Mr. Mr.

Lion Heart

Party

That's pretty consistent besides 2012 (no Korean album that year) and 2017.

Now where they the biggest GG digitally? No, 2NE1 and SISTAR were bigger. But SNSD always had better sales and the public knew all of the members through variety and CFs. Taeyeon already had several successful songs before officially debuting solo.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• some say that twice shouldn’t be ngg anymore because of their charting n that other groups are better, but was snsd always the top gg in charting and getting huge hits? Because they were always the ngg and nobody debates it

TWICE is the best charting GG of 3rd gen and of all-time. Their LOA to FANCY run is basically unbeatable

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Agree, which is why I’m shook some even trying to take their ngg title away

It's like trying to take NBG title from BTS even though their first two years weren't good digitally. They more than made up for it in stellar performance from 2016-now.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• lol I just love how many people dont understand what made SNSD the NGG and just bring those numbers

SNSD impact was CULTURAL

and yes they didnt had a terrible decline :wink: also they have all members being relevant solo and have high brand value even on hiatus

people trying to bring SNSD down is embarrassing af

also the title of NGG was ONLY made up for SNSD we are already startin this debate on a bad side

btw I just love how ignorant everyone is about this while at the same time being so certain

I am not even being shady idc but sometimes you all go beyond the imaginary...

• Unpopular kpop opinions subreddit? As the name suggest that is subreddit for unpopular / no longer popular group stans shitting on popular groups lmao

We all know most opinions on there are popular there though, actual unpopular stuff gets downvoted n hidden

• once Jessica left they took a hit, but they were nearing 6 years old at that point anyways.

But ye 2ne1 and sistar were bigger

SNSD/2nd gen in general, operated alot more like JPOP then gen 3 and onward. Where a lot of their popularity grew/sustained through entertainment shows rather then just pure music

• Pretty sure you forgot Hoot and some of their other songs like Baby Baby, Kissing You, etc may have been hits but I'm not too knowledgeable on that

• TWICE is the best charting GG of 3rd gen and of all-time. Their LOA to FANCY run is basically unbeatable

TWICE is definitly up there. But id say Sistar is just slightly above them at least chartwise...12 singles released under a period of eight years, all of them hit top 10, and after the first three releases they had nine straight #1 on gaon. I guess one could argue some of Twice hits were bigger/better longevity wise tho

• For most of their peak career yeah they had huge hits. The main thing that "limited" form having more was that at the time it was uncommon for regular 3 or 4 CBs per year like groups have been doing for 3G onwards. SNSD after 2010 had either 1 CB or none with 2015 the only exception (Party + Lionheart). From 2014 they did slow chart wise but that was 7 years into their careers which can a full career for a lot of groups.

However whenever people bring up NGG talk with SNSD it's not just about music, it's their impact. Even after weakening digitally they were still by far the most popular and well known gg around with public. Channel SNSD was ther show in a nugu cable channel and that had relatively huge ratings and media buzz.

I mean you just have to look in the past few years despite being inactive for years the SNSD brand is still massive - they're constantly covered by juniors, their blueprint has been copied many many times (Twice and the produce ggs being popular and successful examples), their reunion on TV was a huge rating draw, Taeyeon owning the music scene, actresses line are constantly getting work with great review and ratings and Sunny and Hyoyeon are still big TV draws.

SNSD isn't just NGG because of music, though they did rule in that department, it's everything they had in their arsenal with cfs, TV, dramas etc and that's why they were unrivalled as NGG and why nobody questioned it. It was a common saying that you couldn't watch TV without seeing SNSD a few times a day lol. They weren't called cultural icons for nothing.

• Yeah, this

I envy your way with words I can only be ??? in confusion mode sometimes

• No but they had great longevity digitally. Their last Gaon #1 was Party which was like 8 years into their career(idk how it did longevity wise though).

Even "flop" Holiday peaked at like #12 which is great for a GG that were nearing 10 years at the time.

I love how people instantly assume NGG = best performing girl group on charts though as if it isn't a whole lot more than that lmao

• TWICE is definitly up there. But id say Sistar is just slightly above them at least chartwise...12 singles released under a period of eight years, all of them hit top 10, and after the first three releases they had nine straight #1 on gaon. I guess one could argue some of Twice hits were bigger/better longevity wise tho

TWICE had better longevity and and also had 9 #1s in a row, released from Apr 2016 to Nov 2018. TWICE is comfortably bigger than SISTAR.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• snsd was the best selling gg back then so that's why there was not much debate. When twice surpassed snsd in album sales, it felt natural to call them the next ngg. But now blackpink is outselling twice so twice is just keeping the title because blackpink's rise was unexpected and the group itself doesn't release that many albums.

You can have two successful groups in the same generation, that doesnt diminish groups' achievements.

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• TWICE had better longevity and and also had 9 #1s in a row, released from Apr 2016 to Nov 2018. TWICE is comfortably bigger than SISTAR.

Yea Maybe. While i agree with the longevity point, and also think twice has had a bigger impact overall, i think sistars streak of nine #1 is more impressive in a way because they managed to maintain their streak/popularity and still hit #1 seven years after their first #1. Twice doing that in only 2,5 years is impressive for sure, but at the same time they werent able to keep riding that wave after those first years.

Edited once, last by Kreatin ().

• Yeah, this

I envy your way with words I can only be ??? in confusion mode sometimes

Thanks but honestly it's nothing special, you made the same point as me already lol so it's not I created brand new information, just repeating what had been said she witnessed thousand times over. I just write stuff on here pretty plainly and assume any user I don't know about is a noob so I don't go in guns blazing at first lol.

So basically speak monke so everyone can understand my point lol.

• Thanks but honestly it's nothing special, you made the same point as me already lol. I just write stuff on here pretty plainly and assume any user I don't know about is a noob so I don't go in guns blazing at first lol.

So basically speak monke so everyone can understand my point lol.

ah I understand, thank you Ç_Ç I still always enjoyed the way you explained all so well

my english kinda is bad so it makes all difficult

:peperain:

I find very cool how you always say the tea

I want to learn

:pepe-notes:

• all this t-ara erasure in this thread makes me sad...

a lot of people are talking about cultural impact, etc etc, but that's not what kept snsd on top of their gen. they were the ONLY 2nd gen girl group with a fandom that could rival a top boy group and with album sales to match. the tier below them (2NE1, kara, etc) could only touch 100k, SNSD sold 3x every other girl group per album. paired with high/acceptable digital sales (sistar songs had high peaks but only so-so longevity and basically no fandom), they were uncontested on being the no1 girl group.

twice's dominance over other girl groups only lasted 2 years before they had to contend with izone and bp.

and to the person who said more than one group can be successful at once - yes. but there's only one national title at a time. if no one is a clear top pick, then no one is called nation's ____.

• I wonder how far t-ara would have gone without that fake bullying claims...

they had everything

• Another day another lets bring down SNSD. Let me tell you, SNSD was namedropped by everyone during 3rd gen and same trend is continuing with 4th gen. That is their level, no other group is as namedropped as them. Even this thread today is clear example why they were and still are top of top

6aa44bc25ab8b2b82a6cc95af71d0f16.gif

• This thread contains 28 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!