[Discussion] Live Singing is dead in KPOP

• This is really interesting and is the summary what many people have been saying

Even though I don't agree with some stuff of the video most of it 100% TRUE

is this what's going to be the future of Kpop? NO live vocals at all? When people makes MR REMOVED videos of comeback stages makes me want to cringe because literally all of them are pre-recorded vocals not live singing.

SM should be the first one to stop this since it's the known company for VOCALS and is ridiculous at this point what's happening.

Do we really want this for the future of kpop? this trend needs to STOP and yes I'm dragging even my faves here because it's not their fault but the company ;(

Just want to clarify I think is ok to do lipsync or use backing track sometimes but not most of your performances as a singer not being live is such a ;(

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by sorecer ().

• sorecer

Changed the title of the thread from “[Discussion] R.I.P. Vocals in Kpop 2022. Autotune vs Live Singing” to “[Discussion] Live Singing is dead in KPOP. R.I.P. Vocals in 2022. Autotune vs Live Singing”.
  • I'd rather hear live singing any day myself even if it is the odd dud note than a polished pre recorded version. If I was seeing a group live and had paid good money for the priviledge, I would expect some live singing. I personally feel it cheats the audience as not every fan wants to see a group doing dancing. If this is going to be the norm in K pop then I won't be watching any live shows or performances (not that I do a lot anyway). It's kind of sad tbh especially for groups with vocals.

• I'd rather hear live singing any day myself even if it is the odd dud note than a polished pre recorded version. If I was seeing a group live and had paid good money for the priviledge, I would expect some live singing. I personally feel it cheats the audience as not every fan wants to see a group doing dancing. If this is going to be the norm in K pop then I won't be watching any live shows or performances (not that I do a lot anyway). It's kind of sad tbh especially for groups with vocals.

the fact that the most live aespa vocals we have is them singing for the online fanmeets makes me want to smash something ;(

• sorecer

Changed the title of the thread from “[Discussion] Live Singing is dead in KPOP. R.I.P. Vocals in 2022. Autotune vs Live Singing” to “[Discussion] Live Singing is dead in KPOP”.
  • This is the third thread about this biased video. :pepepizza:

The part about the encore stages is proof this video, while it may have good points, is creating a false narrative.

It states that Oneus is brave for singing live on M Countdown's encore... despite the fact that multiple groups have been singing live in the M Countdown encore. Astro, NCT 127, itzy, Seventeen, and aespa just to name a few all sang live in their encore on M Countdown.

It then goes on to point out that aespa using a backtrack on Music Core is "SM setting a standard for lip sync encores" when in reality Music Core has been doing it for months. Astro, NCT 127, and IVE all had vocals in the audio.

If these groups were going to lip sync their encores they'd do it on every show and not the same one every time regardless of group or company. (And yes IVE sang live when they won on Show Champion so if they were following the trend to lip sync during encores they fucked up immediately because it went no lip sync on Show Champion, lip sync on Music Core, and then back to no lip sync on Show Champion.)

• I agreed, but GDA happened and some good performances. Example, IU did versions of her songs, which are very distinct from their releases.

So unless they went to the extremes of doing the whole artificied tech for just one performance, live vocals aren't dead yet.

But agreed that it is very slowly going away.

• I don't know if I can say anything lol I watched the entire video. There were many good points to consider and many hard truths.

But I'm also part of the problem, while I appreciate some great vocals, none of the people I stan is because of their vocals. Many of them can sing and do sing great live but it's not the reason I stan them...

So I'm exiting this discussion :pepe-back-away:

• I don't expect idols to sing live EVERY performance or even MOST performances because they would damage their voices and some songs with hard choreos are impossible to sing live, however a group should not be active for over a year without us getting to hear their live singing NOT ONCE, not even during a ballad without dancing. that is ridiculous.

and what's more insulting is the company and fans and idols themselves trying to convince us that they do singing live when they clearly dont, it's an insult to our intelligence

some people say it's always been this way, and while yes kpop has always had a lot of lip sync and vocal manipulation, in recent years it has gotten undeniably worse, during the 2nd gen every music show had live singing, now only KBS has live singing the rest are all lip sync

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• STAYC performed So Bad live at the GDA.

STAYC is a hard group to tell when they are singing live because as a SWITH I personally think some of their "lives" are prerecorded whereas others are 100% live, but STAYC's live vocals are so good it's hard to tell them apart lol ^^

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• It then goes on to point out that aespa using a backtrack on Music Core is "SM setting a standard for lip sync encores" when in reality Music Core has been doing it for months. Astro, NCT 127, and IVE all had vocals in the audio.

If these groups were going to lip sync their encores they'd do it on every show and not the same one every time regardless of group or company. (And yes IVE sang live when they won on Show Champion so if they were following the trend to lip sync during encores they fucked up immediately because it went no lip sync on Show Champion, lip sync on Music Core, and then back to no lip sync on Show Champion.)

not even months but years. These YouTubers with their 5 minutes Kpop experience keep misleading so many people with their false narrative.

Backtracks in encores happened a lot before aespa ever had theirs ESPECIALLY in music core (which is where aespa had their first encore). Having a backtrack never made the encore less impressive because the mics in encore always overpower the backtrack unlike the stages with backtracks overpowering the live voices.

It's crazy how kpop fans agreed on crediting aespa and SM for "changing the system" and "starting backtracks trend" when in fact they all ignored it before with other groups no matter how common it was. I get it. Seeing a popular privileged group singing that hard song in encore well and getting praised for it even though they're still rookies can get to people.

but it's not aespa's fault that they're jealous of them.

apparently, aespa started the trend before they debuted

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

lt64IYu.gif

• I agreed, but GDA happened and some good performances. Example, IU did versions of her songs, which are very distinct from their releases.

So unless they went to the extremes of doing the whole artificied tech for just one performance, live vocals aren't dead yet.

But agreed that it is very slowly going away.

I am sorry, I don't think IU performance was live. It may have been recorded live but they autoune it or fix the pitch for broadcasting. Infact I don't think anyone come close to live at GDA except Big Mama and maybe Lee Mu Jin solo.

Watch these 2 video and tell me you can tell the difference. Coincidence enough Big Mama covered Lilac also.

Edited once, last by KangK ().

• That videos been doing the rounds on kpop sites and twitter lol

But yeah it’s obvious now that edited or full lip syncing is here to stay. Excuses like they’re tired to it’s too hard to sing and dance aren’t really valid anymore as LS a lot more common than the odd music show perf is LS, it’s now most perfs on shows, awards, gayo and even encores. Even if someone hates LS or auto tune there’s not much point complaining because companies accept it and so do fans. As wise LSM once said, lip syncing is a genre and now it’s come true lol

• That videos been doing the rounds on kpop sites and twitter lol

But yeah it’s obvious now that edited or full lip syncing is here to stay. Excuses like they’re tired to it’s too hard to sing and dance aren’t really valid anymore as LS a lot more common than the odd music show perf is LS, it’s now most perfs on shows, awards, gayo and even encores. Even if someone hates LS or auto tune there’s not much point complaining because companies accept it and so do fans. As wise LSM once said, lip syncing is a genre and now it’s come true lol

lip syncing is a genre? wth.. lol ;(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!