Do you agree with her statement?

• Do you agree with her statement? 6

1. Yes (2) 33%
    2. No (4) 67%

Seems a little extreme but a lot of people have reacted negatively when a Korean man expressed his preferences

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• its just a personal preference?

as long as he doesnt mistreat people without light skin, he's not harming anyone

everyone's love life should be their own

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• i think in his case it might just be a personal preference, and it doesn't have to mean he thinks tanner people look bad lol

but honestly, idk. there are always two sides to something.

oh, and asians have typically always compared to lighter skin to being purer or having/coming from a family of wealth so i think those are just conservative values that have been passed on to him maybe. a flawed way of thinking, but a way that society has normalized, unfortunately.

• i think the issue lies in when you attribute "positive" and "negative" traits to something like skin color that is something genetic. calling pale skin "pure" insinuates dark skin is the opposite. there's nothing wrong with him particularly preferring someone of a lighter skin tone and ofc he would vocalize it on a dating show so i don't think this is rlly something to be triggered by hardcore. but i can understand the insecurities this can cause in people consuming media like this. there is just a discussion to be had here about society at large.

• Eurocentric beauty standards run rapid in Korea (just like everywhere else). It's funny how we always seem to get back her because some of you just don't understand. People have been telling people with tan skin that they're ugly or dirty, especially targeting black people. Holding everyone to this eurocentric beauty standard is harmful. This is why people are bleaching their skin and putting themselves in danger to get light skin to seem more "pretty". I thought we left colorism in the past. Yall are the same ones preaching anti colorist but when it's time to call out colorism, suddenly it's a "non issue". As if people everywhere haven't been targeted for the color fo their skin.

• I have never seen anyone praise another person for having tan skin

depends on where are you from I guess?

Here mostly girls are obssesed with getting taned, they would sit by pool all day just to get more taned or use the tanning beds... It's considered to be very pretty and people always praise each other when they meet during summer and see someone with a nice tan... I personally don't aprove it because it harms your skin and makes the skin get wrinkly faster but I also like swimming and I get naturally taned during summer although I try to protect myself as much as I can because I already have enough troubles with my moles

Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn GIF - Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn Arcane - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited once, last by _Dalnim ().

• Eurocentric beauty standards run rapid in Korea (just like everywhere else). It's funny how we always seem to get back her because some of you just don't understand. People have been telling people with tan skin that they're ugly or dirty, especially targeting black people. Holding everyone to this eurocentric beauty standard is harmful. This is why people are bleaching their skin and putting themselves in danger to get light skin to seem more "pretty". I thought we left colorism in the past. Yall are the same ones preaching anti colorist but when it's time to call out colorism, suddenly it's a "non issue". As if people everywhere haven't been targeted for the color fo their skin.

I'm sorry but this have more to do with historical beauty standards than with eurocentric beauty standards

In SK same as Japan pale skin was always praised even centuries ago before they even knew Europeans exists.... just look at the old Japanese paintings and also the make up they used

The reason for this is that nobility didn't have to work on the fields so they wouldn't get tanned as the rest of the common folks so being pale was a symbol of wealth and beauty because these ladies were very well kept, elegant etc etc

It used to be same in Europe but it changed during last century and people are obssesed with getting taned now

In SK and Japan such change didn't occur

• I'm sorry but this have more to do with historical beauty standards than with eurocentric beauty stsndards

In SK same as Japan pale skin was always praised even centuries ago before they even knew Europeans exists.... just look at the old Japanese paintings and also the make up they used

The reason for this is that nobility didn't have to work on the fields so they wouldn't get tanned as the rest of the common folks so being pale was a symbol of wealth and beuty because these ladies were very well kept, elegant etc etc

It used to be same in Europe but it changed during last century and people are obssesed with getting taned now

In SK and Japan such change didn't occur

I am aware of the history. I am just saying that in Korea, paler more eurocentric features get better treatment and pay in work. I don't think it's right to completely exclude everyone else to praise only one kind of beauty.

• I am aware of the history. I am just saying that in Korea, paler more eurocentric features get better treatment and pay in work. I don't think it's right to completely exclude everyone else to praise only one kind of beauty.

I agree nobody should be excluded for the colour of their skin and same goes for other physical atributes

It has nothing to do with eurocentric feauture though... It's their own beauty standard that has been existing there for hundreds of years

So it's not just this one guy who is attracted to girls with paler skin, it's basically whole Korea... over there it's not weird at all he'd say something like that

I know some Korean girls personally and even more Japanese girls and they always avoided being on direct sun no matter what... They would also swim with long sleeves and some fully clothed

• If it's a personal preference why would that matter?

Are we going to start policing fangirls obsessing about making their oppas richer too?

When does it go from a "personal preference" to just being prejudice? People who feel the need to be vocal about such preferences, especially when it's racial, always give a bad vibe.Like, no one cares that you won't ever date black girls or Asian girls or whatever. Nor do we care why

• A lot of conservative Koreans think that light skin = pure and associate black or tan skin = sexy or impure as in naughty or shady (like bad guys with ill intend). So I get why people are not happy about this statement. In Korea when you are clubbing as a dark skin foreigner people think you are easy or that they can slap your butt because they associate dark skin or the whole culture of black people with naughtiness, sexiness and so on etc. Had to experience it myself (yikes) It’s a lot more than only skin color but the skin color itself is definitely a problem in Korea. A lot bad people in Asian media are portrayed as black or dark skinned people, too. So the association of dark and tan skin is very negative. That user is a little bit exaggerating and putting this person who most likely wasn’t ill intended and said it due to ignorance next to big problems like pedophilia... like wtf?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!