Why would you stan Red Velvet but not f(x)?

• This has always baffled me.

Seems like a lot of SNSD fans just skipped over f(x) and went straight to Red Velvet. Sure it probably made it easier cause Red Velvet was not competing at the same time as SNSD prime.

But why was f(x) just not stannable for a lot of kpop fans?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• they did well when they were active.but like u said SNSD was still at their peak when f(x) debuted.

now they're not active so stans obviously would move to active GGS.

• For me, I stanned both SNSD and Fx, but SNSD was a level above. So RV was the next gen, and then Aespa.

Fx was great, had a deep discography, but never really had an iconic title track.

Electric Shock and Red Light came close. Sulli wasn't a part of 4 walls so it wasn't the same.

Otherwise RV always seemed like an upgraded Fx to me. Slightly less experimental and better music, better visuals, better vocals, more fun on variety shows and so on.

• they did well when they were active.but like u said SNSD was still at their peak when f(x) debuted.

now they're not active so stans obviously would move to active GGS.

Oh, good point! I think it matters whether a group is really active or not. If not anymore, you'll start to broaden your gaze by default to other groups popping up.

Fx and Red Velvet have different sounds though. For one fx would never have as many r&b songs.

Personally I always thought sones became onces, SM does suck at fan transference for girl groups.

This too. I know a lot of SNSD fans who became Onces, because the similarities between the two groups SNSD and TWICE and they had sort of the samish vibe.

Also true. SNSD just was on another level than most of the other groups around, the way they shined made most other groups look more pale.

I thought the same of RV, that they were a bit of both, a continuation of both f(x), the experimentalism side, and the vibe of SNSD.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

• I love both group musically and i'm a fan of both group musically

but the only reason why i never consider myself as a full time Me(u) is because i was never really interested in the members, i tried to watch the reality show they did, thinking that because i like their songs i might end up the members after watching it, but i didn't

Red velvet meanwhile was the perfect match , experimental music like f(x)

but had a way better chemistry together than f(x) members and the members looked more easy going and friendly

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• i actually prefer f(x) discography more than snsd but snsd is more iconic and individually the members are more distinctive and fun.

i cant vibe with majority of f(x) members - like Krystal is literally Jessica 2.0, Victoria is boring imo, Amber is different but she is too American for my liking. Not gonna comment on Sulli out of respect. Luna is super underrated because people dont like her face, she is all-rounder, I liked her the most

• Same, i tried to get into them but I couldnt really vibe with them. For snsd, the members' diverse personality is easier to vibe with.

• Same, i tried to get into them but I couldnt really vibe with them. For snsd, the members' diverse personality is easier to vibe with.

SNSD is just exceptionnal

but honestly i think f(x) had great individual charms for sure

their charms just didn't vibe with each other in the groups, they weren't complementing each other, like snsd or red velvet where each members have their own individual charm but are complementary

krystal, victoria and sulli were way too quiet and shy usually

Luna and amber were the only outgoing members but their chemistry together wasn't great

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• I can't speak for other SNSD fans, but when I look back, f(x) debuted in the times when SNSD were at their peak. It was hard for other groups to gain attention when SNSD was shining so brightly and dominating so powerfully.

Even back then antis, other-company stans and other-group stans called all fans of SM groups 'SM stans' - even if other SM fandoms like ELFs and Cassies were among the ones bashing SNSD and Sone the most and even if most SNSD fans didn't care about LSM at all or about other SM groups X(.

The reality was that there wasn't a cohesive family feel among fans of SM groups at all, not like there was among fans of YG groups who were proud to call themselves (instead of being called/insulted by others) YG stan and talk about the 'YG family' and who called YG warmly 'Papa YG' - heck, even fans of JYP groups had more of a 'JYP family feel' when it came to JYP, the company or interest in new JYP groups.

So being fan of SNSD didn't automatically translate to fan of other SM groups at all.

As for f(x), I liked some of their songs and I LOVED Rum Pum Pum to bits - that was the kind of music and aesthetics I liked - but I wasn't much into their EDM stuff. And as a group they just weren't that entertaining in variety shows - they were nowhere near comparable to or as appealing as SNSD in variety.

There were other 2nd gen groups that drew more of my attention, like KARA, T-ARA, After School and such.

Red Velvet drew me in because I love vocals and vocal performances, and I love groups that do things differently or that surpass other groups in some aspect that I like. SM experiments a lot, not all their experiments I like or are successful, but the quirky cute 'red' and smooth/mature/sensual 'velvet' approach they did with Red Velvet, I liked a lot.

And I loved their R&Bish sound like in Be Natural and Automatic right away, as well as their harmonisation.

It's not for nothing that Mamamoo and Red Velvet were the first 3rd gen groups that I liked straight away from the start :-)

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

Up till now, SNSD has been the most entertaining girl group to watch variety shows with, their chemistry and banter was exceptional.

I'm truly grateful that SNSD were the group that introduced me into the world of K-pop.

2nd gen variety shows with idols were more fun to watch anyway, because there was more interaction and chemistry on camera between all the top groups and there were less restrictions like in boy-girl idol interaction, and somehow all those variety idols of the different groups managed to sharpen and elevate eachother's variety skills to a higher level, like seen in Invincible Youth season 1.

SWJ1P.gif

• 2nd gen variety shows with idols were more fun to watch anyway, because there was more interaction and chemistry on camera between all the top groups and there were less restrictions like in boy-girl idol interaction, and somehow all those variety idols of the different groups managed to sharpen and elevate eachother's variety skills to a higher level, like seen in Invincible Youth season 1.

This is what I've been thinking too.Idols generally seemed more natural and relaxed back then.

• I like f(x) but wouldn't say I stan them. I would have said the same for RV if it wasn't for their velvet side. I like their red side, but their velvet songs just hit different

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!