Do you think controversies are good or bad for groups?

• With how much controversy Jisoo is in, I think it actually make people check out her drama out of curiosity and Blackpink may even has new fans? Aespa also has controversies in the beginning and it seems that makes them more popular? Stray Kids is selling even better after Hyunjin controversy. So controversies (dating, cheating, bullying, plagiarism,…) are actually good for groups to get new fans? So maybe groups should embrace controversies instead of being afraid of them? Like if all of BTS reveals who they’re dating now, they may even get more fans and attention right?

• H.O.T. was unable to sell out 1000-2000 seats in the Gocheok Skydome becuz of Kangta's dating scandal in 2019.

Then again, this was just a mere reunion concert and not in their prime so...

• H.O.T. was unable to sell out 1000-2000 seats in the Gocheok Skydome becuz of Kangta's dating scandal in 2019.

Then again, this was just a mere reunion concert and not in their prime so...

really isn’t he in his 40s or something? at that age, i often see fans are even begging idols to date so its strange that his fans would be angry

• With how much controversy Jisoo is in, I think it actually make people check out her drama out of curiosity and Blackpink may even has new fans? Aespa also has controversies in the beginning and it seems that makes them more popular? Stray Kids is selling even better after Hyunjin controversy. So controversies (dating, cheating, bullying, plagiarism,…) are actually good for groups to get new fans? So maybe groups should embrace controversies instead of being afraid of them? Like if all of BTS reveals who they’re dating now, they may even get more fans and attention right?

That's not really how it works. If you are a small group sure it could help people discover you. But at this point everyone has heard of BP and BTS. I don't think JK's car accident brought in any more fans. If any maknae like member reveals they are dating I expect their album sales do go down 100k per each member. I doubt anyone would really care if a hyung line member dates. And also depending on what it's about. Seungri's scandal forced him out of the industry.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

• probably good for nugus, probably bad for established groups.

for example, few would have noticed h1-key without the recent controversy.

they'll immediately get a boost from the initial attention if they their debut song is good.

(niche concepts and songs are functionally similar to grabbing attention by controversy - like billlie's ring x ring)

• That's not really how it works. If you are a small group sure it could help people discover you. But at this point everyone has heard of BP and BTS. I don't think JK's car accident brought in any more fans. If any maknae like member reveals they are dating I expect their album sales do go down 100k per each member. I doubt anyone would really care if a hyung line member dates. And also depending on what it's about. Seungri's scandal forced him out of the industry.

yeah you have a point, but for seungri his actions may affect him negatively, but gd shoes are still selling fine, their fans on Twitter and in China are still looking for them to come back so we don’t know if it affects the group negatively. maybe their sales will even increase now, we’ll have to wait and see.

• Fans will be fans even if their faves get into controversies, people will also forget the controversy when new ones involving other artists and only that idol's haters will remember the controversies, a lot of the times it just doesn't have that much of an impact

• if it's a bullying scandal, always bad. maybe if they apologize or "reflect" for awhile and it wasn't that bad to begin with, they might come out okay. if they double down and refuse to apologize, like soojin, they're done.

if it's a dating scandal, it depends on the idol's image beforehand. if the idol has a very innocent girlfriend/boyfriend image, bad.

if it's an attitude controversy, it depends on how much of an attitude. ie irene screaming at someone until they cry, her reputation is damaged vs wonyoung not flipping her hair as much during choreo because she has to mc later, it's stupid and no one really cares.

if they're minor controversies or easily excused or the idol apologizes quickly, it can potentially be good because it brings attention to that group or idol. maybe the idol even comes out looking better in the end because whatever was being complained about wasn't a big deal to begin with, but the idol apologizes and has a good attitude so people like them more.

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!