Could Somi be Kpop's first "Disney star"?

• Somi: an extremely likeable all-rounder entertainer with a great personality, a good sense of humor, family values as part of her brand, that appeals to tweens/teens.

Unlike Disney, the Kpop industry doesn't really know how to market someone like Somi (Disney didn't before the 2000's either), but Teddy seems to be slowly figuring it out (without anywhere near Disney's resources, but social media helps level the playing field a little bit).

Anymore is the obvious evidence that Teddy is looking at Somi like a Disney artist. The song could be from a Disney tween/teen show.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And XOXO also seems to have similar influences that are more obvious in the band version (but with more Teddy-kpop).

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Even Dumb Dumb opens with a child who later becomes a high school 'princess/angel' dancing on stage.

Somi/Teddy still hasn't cracked the 'show/movie' part of the Disney formula (although the narrative of Sixteen/Produce 101 is similar to the tween-becomes-star narrative of Lizzie McGuire and Hana Montana, but that's 5 years ago). The closest they come is 'I Am Somi', but that's just the usual kpop vlog with a little variety thrown in. Probably their best bet would be a variety program with some narrative and good production values that would appeal to tweens/teens, and leverage Somi's idol connections. Something more than the usual idol variety like 'I Am Somi', although they could use 'I Am Somi' to experiment with different formats.

Somi/Teddy need to think outside the usual kpop box to make this happen.

Here's an overview of how Disney did/does it (obviously they won't be able to follow this exact formula):

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• I remember reading some dumbo bashing Somi's song last year, WYWF, by calling it a "Disney" song and i was like, are you stupid? Is this supposed to be an insult?

• No usually Disney stars were on spotlight since they were teens

I mean she started young but we didn’t grow up with her (dunno if it makes sense)

But clearly Somi is following western strategy from the rollout she released 3 singles on her debut album, also the look since she dyed her hair she looks less Korean, the music is really early 2010 it serving girlie quirky and relatable

I will not be surprised if her next song is pop rock

• Tbh isn't the whole idol system basically Disney esque? Family friendly, targeted to young people/children, simple and generic lyrics/messages, dabble in stuff outside music and so on? That's 90% of idols

• Tbh isn't the whole idol system basically Disney esque? Family friendly, targeted to young people/children, simple and generic lyrics/messages, dabble in stuff outside music and so on? That's 90% of idols

I don't know tbh, Kpop isn't as family friendly as Disney lol and it more targeted to teens and young adults.

• I don't think swearing, singing about partying, depression, toxic relationships and other tings is really that family friendly.

Most groups especially at the beginning dont sing about that stuff, it’s mostly about love in some way. And clearly a lot of kpop fans are on the younger side.

• hmmmm....I think sm rookies -> sm idols is the closest to Disney kid to pop star route... a few other sm trainees that were set to debut had massive pre established fanbases like lami. But ig other big 3 also debut like fun and innocent concept and hope an audience grows up with their group.

Besides their debut stage kpop including the big 3 has a lot of straight up NSFW content in their Mvs, oversexualisation and queerbaiting which are all really terrible and confusing messages to show a tween. It's fine to explore your sexuality only through oversexualisation, hide it otherwise like idols do in interviews. Your sexuality is only for the screens to profit off of. Eh. Since lgbtq+ are already marginalized.. I wish they handled their onscreen portrayals of these relationships with more delicacy and grace. Plus give idols that actually represent these sexualities a chance instead of kicking them out. I went off on a tangent didn't I?

Desbundar

• No usually Disney stars were on spotlight since they were teens

I mean she started young but we didn’t grow up with her (dunno if it makes sense)

But clearly Somi is following western strategy from the rollout she released 3 singles on her debut album, also the look since she dyed her hair she looks less Korean, the music is really early 2010 it serving girlie quirky and relatable

I will not be surprised if her next song is pop rock

Somi was in the spotlight since she was a teen, with Sixteen/Produce 101 being the perfect tween-becomes-star story arc. The obvious difference is that JYP didn't have Somi release any tween/teen-friendly music to take advantage of that fame, because they are clueless when it comes to solos (even if they planned on putting her in a group they could have released some solos before hand).

Now Somi/Teddy seem to be doing what JYP should have done 5 years ago, but with a more mature sound because of her age.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!